RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nodmogal

Oct 27, 2003, 7:18 AM
Post #1 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Lost on Royal Arches...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbed Roayl Arches today
Loved the first 5 pitches...
after that we got off route and did 4 long pitches of crack/laybacking. There were several slings with rings set as anchors on these pitches...
Does anyone know what route we were on?
Basically at the 5th belay station we moved way to climbers right and climbed a beautiful awkward off width crack with some layback action. Once we got to the top of the crack system, we entered a flake system and then had some easy climbing to a blank section of wall. We later realized we were about even with the 10th belay station of Roal arches, but far to climbers right of it. Anyone know where we were and if this route links or continues?

PS We did the rappell with two ropes, due to the heat and the length of the climb, we were happy to beon the ground faster!

karlbaba

Oct 27, 2003, 7:47 AM
Post #2 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lost on Royal Arches... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's more than a little unlikely that you could have got far to the climber's right (East) of the 10th pitch of Royal Arches. There's no route over there at all, and it's tough to get lost in that direction.

I've seen folks get off-route to the West of Royal Arches by heading up flakes and liebacks too early (just to the right of a Giant Dihedral, which is just East of the rap route) I doubt anybody knows the name of that "variation"

There's a lot of ways to go and also go wrong up in that area. It's hard to figure without landmarks to refer to. (I've done the route so many times I couldn't count but way more than 30 times) There's no real "belay stations" except when you start the raps and it's easy to divide up the pitches in numerous ways.

Now you have a "vendetta" and you'll have to have your "revenge" with another bout on the Arches.

Enjoy the adventure!

peace

Karl

onelung

Oct 27, 2003, 7:57 AM
Post #3 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lost on Royal Arches... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not know Karl, but he has always spoken the truth.

I have climbed RA, I have to ask "How the hell did you get off route?"

Yes I have seen that off to the right crap but that is not RA.

Its all good,
bill

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook