RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerock

Oct 28, 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

DMM Flys?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw a pair of DMM Flys today for 100 bucks, they are new as in never been used. I'm just wondering if there is a reason why they would be only 100? are they a crappy axe or just older? Any input appreciated

cjain

Oct 28, 2003, 3:45 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: DMM Flys? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was shopping for tools, I got a chance to try them once. They seemed OK, but they're definitely not high-end tools (in my non-expert opinion). They're going for well over a $100 a tool, so $100 for a brand-new pair is a steal. But the real question is not whether they are right for YOU at that price. If you get them and then decide a month later that what you really want is, say, a pair of cobras, then you've just blown $100 (though you could recover some or all of this by reselling them).

Also see http://www.summitpost.com/show/gear_reviews/product.pl?product_id=69

pico23

Oct 28, 2003, 5:52 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Fly is an excellent tool. It makes an even better tool for women or kids because it's got a super light swing and it's not a battle axe.

The bad thing about the fly is that it only has a 1 piece adze/pick hammer/pick combo so if you break the pick you have to replace the adze and pick at once. This isn't a big deal as picks don't break often and the DMM pick is only a few dollars more than other brands picks. The real drawback is the size of the replacement makes it hard to carry a spare on a alpine climb. If your just cragin this isn't an issue.

Overally the fly is a really nice tool comparable to the Rage or Axar but with a lighter swing. For $100 you'd be a fool not to pick these tools up. I can't even think of a set of tools you can get for $100 to get started.

cjain

Oct 28, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="pico23"]
The bad thing about the fly is that it only has a 1 piece adze/pick hammer/pick combo so if you break the pick you have to replace the adze and pick at once. This isn't a big deal as picks don't break often and the DMM pick is only a few dollars more than other brands picks.

I don't know about now, but from what I remember when I was pricing things out, the DMM component prices were low enough that it getting the pick/adze combo was pretty close to getting just a pick or adze by itself from BD.
quote]

tradklime

Oct 28, 2003, 11:01 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The picks displace too much ice for my tastes. But at $100 for a pair you can't go wrong. They make for a pretty good beginner tool.

pico23

Oct 28, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the DMM pick is about $30 and the CM 4x4 is about $25. Overall not much difference when you consider with good technique a pick should last at least a full season.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook