RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

linotagliapietra

Oct 28, 2003, 4:53 AM
Post #1 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

My new rope!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got a new rope, my first, and have heard many ways to take care of it. What do you do to take care of your rope? How do you manage it? Tell me all, for I wish to know your ways. It's a 60m and I would love some tips on coiling and all sorts of basics. Peace.

ropeburn

Oct 28, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #2 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Re: My new rope! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Butterfly.

FOTH.

"Less talk more rock."

8)

linotagliapietra

Oct 28, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #3 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well put :D

taraus_de_bull

Oct 28, 2003, 5:57 AM
Post #4 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

invest in a ropebag, they are worth it. the rope is what you trust your life too, spend the money for a ropebag.

when climbing, leave the bag under the climb and the extra rope sitting on the bag, it helps stop dirt and other crap from getting on the rope.

Some people like to store it in the rope bag and some like to butterfly it. I think either way works fine, but i've hear people swear by both ways.

rkhali

Oct 28, 2003, 6:06 AM
Post #5 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To coil or not to coil? I bought my first rope a couple of weeks ago and people told it is better to leave it in the bag. I don't know if it makes that much of difference.... So yeah, I would like to know also, what do you guys do ?

pico23

Oct 28, 2003, 6:13 AM
Post #6 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To coil or not to coil? I bought my first rope a couple of weeks ago and people told it is better to leave it in the bag. I don't know if it makes that much of difference.... So yeah, I would like to know also, what do you guys do ?

All I can say is I will never buy a $40 rope bag. I'll coil till my hands bleed but a rope bag is one piece of marketing I'm not buying into.

adamtd

Oct 30, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #7 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you just got your first rope, read teh directions that coem with it, folow them, and treat it like a new car. Also, go oiut and buy teh climbers bible, Mountaineering:Freedom of teh hilss. It'll show you multiple coils for your rope for various situations as well as teach you how to manage it, and it even talks about how ropes are rated. And teh "bible" is the next best thing to taking a class.

curt

Oct 30, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #8 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since you just got your first rope, read teh directions that coem with it, folow them, and treat it like a new car. Also, go oiut and buy teh climbers bible, Mountaineering:Freedom of teh hilss. It'll show you multiple coils for your rope for various situations as well as teach you how to manage it, and it even talks about how ropes are rated. And teh "bible" is the next best thing to taking a class.

Adn, teh splel chkec is a gud tihng tu.

Curt

jt512

Oct 30, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #9 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

All I can say is I will never buy a $40 rope bag. I'll coil till my hands bleed but a rope bag is one piece of marketing I'm not buying into.

I thought that way for years, but when I finally broke down and bought a rope bag, I realized how wrong I'd been. First of all, your rope bag will outlive many ropes. When you realize that a good rope bag will last 10 years or more, the cost seems tivial. Secondly, your rope will stay cleaner if you use a tarp-style rope bag, which you should. Third, for sport climbing, you'll save lots of time over having to coil your rope repeatedly.

-Jay

tenn_dawg

Oct 30, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #10 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a rope bag, and use it religiously. It will keep your rope clean, and kink free.

If you are cragging, it makes it incredibly easy to restack, and climb on opposite ends of the rope on each lead.

You may never have to coil again too.

Travis

insainio

Oct 30, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #11 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for a rope bag. I just got the Metolius "rope ranger" and it is awsome. It has back pack style straps and a 4x5 tarp. It will prolong the life of your rope, not to mention it makes carrying it easy.

rck_climber

Oct 30, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #12 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll throw one more plug in for the rope bag, it's been a life saver (possibly litterally) in keeping my ropes cleaner and prolonging their already short lives.

I used to coil my ropes but found them constantly kinking up on me. Once I started using rope bags, I found that not only did flaking the rope save me loads of time (time well spent squeezing a few more routes into a day), but it also dramatically decreased the problems I had with the rope kinking up on me. This is just from my experiences, but I've had much more luck with flaking than coiling.

As far as washing, you can do a search on the site for a million and one good ideas as it's been discussed at length here a number of times. Personally, I like to wash mine with a rope wash (if I'm feeling rich) or a mild laundry soap (when money's tight) in the bath tub, but my partner swears by the washing machine - just tie the ends together to minimize the knots and toss it in with some mild laudry soap. Either way, let it air dry for a day or so and you're back in business with a fresh-from-the-factory looking rope.

Good luck and remember to take care of your life line, it's the vital link in the chain regardless of what kind of climbing you're doing (TR, Sport, Trad, Aid, Ice). Climb safe.

Mick

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook