RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

lou_dale

Nov 4, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2620 views)
Shortcut

breathing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i noticed when dale and i did the 2 day class with arno, arno would be talking to us individually while we were climbing. at the same time, folks were on either side of us on different routes - also climbing. but when things started getting wiggy for them, you could see they were holding their breath.......and arno would smile and just say breathe!!!!!!!!!

when we keep our breathing calm and consistent, it seems to calm the mind, body, and spirit - it just makes good sense. easier sometimes to say than do as i clearly understand, but i have also noticed that when i engage the witness - talk - discuss with myself my options, etc. - i'm breathing and while this is going on, i don't grip as hard, i don't feel as fearful and i'm able to make better judgment calls in the process.

i know that so much goes into zapping our power or energy but on the other hand, just the act of calm breathing techniques can renew your energy.

anything that takes your attention away from your climbing is going to result in you losing energy or power on the route. it's like having too many things going on at one time - you just can't devote the appropriate amount of energy and love to one thing, if you are working on too many.

by using good breathing technique, it seems to center you - brings you back into the moment at hand, allowing you to focus on what you are working on then, right then - you aren't in the past and you haven't projected into the future, you are in the moment, right then.

meditative breathing has a very relaxing benefit - on or off the rock - but ON the rock? seems to make every part of you respond better.

thanks for listening............LOU

andy_lemon

Nov 4, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: breathing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you quit breathing you starve the brain of oxygen... that is when we wig out or do something stupid. To stop breathing also brings the pump to the forearms. Man, it took me 2 and a half years to realize I needed to breath. I'm glad I finally have seen the light! :D

lou_dale

Nov 4, 2003, 1:19 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: breathing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it's pretty funny because i have seen exactly what you just described as it occurred.

the pump especially - when i am calmly breathing - i am able to go so much farther, have greater energy/stamina, without pumping out as you so aptly put it.

i watched a friend engage the very same route i had just led. i led the route, then fixed a top rope so he could enjoy the route without any of the consequences - and this was his 3rd time climbing ever - i wanted his first few experiences to be very enjoyable yet challenging.

and i noticed also with him that when he was holding his breath, he got to the second crux and was just worn out.

i think that is what is great about introducing new folks to climbing as well who are open to suggestions. i get to re-learn where i was and hopefully help others to not waste nearly the amount of time i did doing some things improperly or less effectively i should say - because - we all have our own style and techniques that work for us - short/tall/thin/heavy/male/female..........and like arno told me when it comes to doing a route - do it for you, and do it your way - wanna know what the rules are? there are no rules...........meaning climbing should be for you, about you, you engaging the rock - one on one, safely - while having fun and yet being challenged.

you made such a great point! starved for oxygen! i'll be sure and remember that so that the next time i see somebody holding their breath - i'll remind them of that - i think it will drive the point home much quicker!

thanks so much for your words of wisdom.

LOU

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook