Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

edge

Nov 4, 2003, 5:53 PM
Post #1 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Top photos that Stink!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a "Top Photos" page, when it's filled up by mediocre (or worse) pictures that have a single vote of 10? Shouldn't it be a prequalification for that page that a picture have a minimum of at least 3 votes before it can appear?

Just a thought...

mattdog

Nov 4, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #2 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Re: Doesn't it defeat the purpose? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed.

mtclmb

Nov 4, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #3 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second that, I think that the top voted pictures in descending order should be posted there. (just my 2 cents also)

t

cryder

Nov 4, 2003, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sense a bit of a conspiracy with todays photo page. It went from "a few photos that stink", to "hey! look at me!!! A page full!!!" Maybe it would be better to have a dynamic voting talley, as apposed to an overnight.

leaverbiner

Nov 4, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #5 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edge I agree completely. . . . and this whole having to recalculate votes overnight thing has really screwed it all up . . . now if you know when to post your photo, you gte one vote done at the right time and you can have your photos rated at a 10 for the entire day and appear on the front page when it reality your photo isn;t very good . . . I miss the ability to vote and have it calculated right away . . . I also think that the limitations on voting suck . . . in that, if a photo has a rating of say 9, if you vote it a 4 or below, your vote is completely discounted!!

tucsonalex

Nov 4, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #6 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think the top photos stink then rate them what you think they deserve, I just did. A three vote minimum is a good idea though.

tenn_dawg

Nov 4, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #7 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I sense a bit of a conspiracy with todays photo page. It went from "a few photos that stink", to "hey! look at me!!! A page full!!!" Maybe it would be better to have a dynamic voting talley, as apposed to an overnight.

A conspiracy? No way. There is absolutely no corrolation between those pictures, recent events, and geographic regions what-so-ever.

Travis

cryder

Nov 4, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #8 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A conspiracy? No way. There is absolutely no corrolation between those pictures, recent events, and geographic regions what-so-ever.

Travis
Oops - my bad, forgot to mention that it was planted there by a vast right wing conspiracy to drag down democracy. :lol:

poppasmearf

Nov 4, 2003, 6:50 PM
Post #9 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three vote minimum!!!!!!

hugepedro

Nov 4, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #10 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agree with the 3 vote minimum. Users who give thier own, just-posted photo a 10 are pathetic attention-whores. You shouldn't be allowed to vote on your own photo. Now we have all these single-vote 10's up there, but if anyone gives it a 4 or 5 (which they more likely deserve) that vote is discarded because of the silly 3 point rule (or whatever it is).

Partner polarwid

Nov 4, 2003, 7:07 PM
Post #11 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THe top photos page is where the votes are seen and tabulated, but they do not LINK to the FRONT PAGE. To be displayed on the front page, there is a criteria that must be met... it is as follows...

The new version (just instituted) uses the following criteria by default:

- Submitted less than 30 days ago
- Minimum rank of 8
- Minimum of 5 votes

THis is the criteria that all photos displayed on the FRONT PAGE must meet...

edge

Nov 4, 2003, 7:15 PM
Post #12 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
THe top photos page is where the votes are seen and tabulated, but they do not LINK to the FRONT PAGE. To be displayed on the front page, there is a criteria that must be met... it is as follows...

THis is the criteria that all photos displayed on the FRONT PAGE must meet...

Yes, my original post only mentioned the Top Photo page, not the Front Page. I just thought that if it was to be titled Top Photos, it could be a little more indicative of the best shots, not just one person's vote.

tucsonalex

Nov 4, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #13 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Agree with the 3 vote minimum. Users who give thier own, just-posted photo a 10 are pathetic attention-whores. You shouldn't be allowed to vote on your own photo. Now we have all these single-vote 10's up there, but if anyone gives it a 4 or 5 (which they more likely deserve) that vote is discarded because of the silly 3 point rule (or whatever it is).

3 point rule? Could someone explain? I guess all of the votes I just submitted don't count. How do we get these terrible shots off of the top photos. When I click on top photos I expect to see something good, not blurry, underexposed, bad ground-up back and butt shots.

Partner polarwid

Nov 4, 2003, 7:22 PM
Post #14 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Re: Top photos that Stink! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The main reason the recalc every night was instituted is that people are LESS likely to BOMB a photo if they can not have INSTANT GRATIFICATION of seeing the picture drop of the top photos page. This also allows people to vote what they think with out being affected by others votes. Actually, you should go look at the NEW photos, and vote on those, There are many pictures buried in there with NO votes that are much better than the "TOP" photos. I will start a discussion among the ADMINS and MODS about changing the name of TOP photos to something else... :wink:

jt512

Nov 4, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #15 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The main reason the recalc every night was instituted is that people are LESS likely to BOMB a photo if they can not have INSTANT GRATIFICATION of seeing the picture drop of the top photos page. This also allows people to vote what they think with out being affected by others votes. Actually, you should go look at the NEW photos, and vote on those, There are many pictures buried in there with NO votes that are much better than the "TOP" photos. I will start a discussion among the ADMINS and MODS about changing the name of TOP photos to something else... :wink:

Note to polarwid: Also see my thread in M and E re: weighted averages.

-Jay

Partner polarwid

Nov 4, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #16 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, the link is not titled, nor is there any reference to "TOP PHOTOS" anywhere,just simply
In reply to:
Showing photos added in the past month by Rank (1 to 25 of 1321)
. So it is accurate to a point.

Jay, I read your weighted average post, and it gave me a headache... :wink:

tucsonalex

Nov 4, 2003, 7:34 PM
Post #17 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't think I bombed any photos, but there is lots of stuff in the top photos that was VERY average so I gave them a 5. If the first vote on a photo is a 10, and then it gets a ton of 5's does that mean the rating is still a 10?

jt512

Nov 4, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #18 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, the link is not titled, nor is there any reference to "TOP PHOTOS" anywhere,just simply
In reply to:
Showing photos added in the past month by Rank (1 to 25 of 1321)
. So it is accurate to a point.

That's my daily life, Man.

-Jay

climbsomething

Nov 4, 2003, 8:03 PM
Post #19 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Edge I agree completely. . . . and this whole having to recalculate votes overnight thing has really screwed it all up . . . now if you know when to post your photo, you gte one vote done at the right time and you can have your photos rated at a 10 for the entire day and appear on the front page when it reality your photo isn;t very good . . . I miss the ability to vote and have it calculated right away . . . I also think that the limitations on voting suck . . . in that, if a photo has a rating of say 9, if you vote it a 4 or below, your vote is completely discounted!!
People will always find ways to hose the system. But not to worry, this tactic only makes people more likely to bomb their crap photos. Zillions of 5 and below photos make it in every day, but most never get a second glance on the new photos page because there's just so many of them; when you submit a 3 photo and have your buddy give it a 10 right before the votes roll over, putting it on the top (not necessarily front) page, then it stands out as obviously being in the wrong place, and then people will rain the 3s upon it.

So *shrug* no biggie after a day or two.

cryder

Nov 4, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #20 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think people are feeling that it does make a difference, as it happens everyday, with today being a good example. The bigger problem, having a buddy "10 up" a photo, is the nature of the beast and will effect photo scoring no matter when the votes tabulate. I think a quiker turn-over, maybe every 2 weeks, would help freshen the pile.

- Nicholas

climbsomething

Nov 4, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #21 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's my daily life, Man.

-Jay
Jay? Causing strife and headaches? NUH-UH!!

alwaysforward

Nov 4, 2003, 9:27 PM
Post #22 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you look RIGHT NOW it is the worst collection of pictures to have ever been on the first page of photos.

crackup

Nov 4, 2003, 9:38 PM
Post #23 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clean up the whole smelly pile.

dingus

Nov 4, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #24 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clearly we need more rules and more matrix coding. That is the only solution, rules and code.

Oh, and moving posts and locking threads.

What else is there?

Perhaps a "Hey Mom, HE CHEATED!" button?

DMT

hangdoggypound

Nov 4, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #25 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you look RIGHT NOW it is the worst collection of pictures to have ever been on the first page of photos.
...And tomorrow it will all be different. I checked out that page earlier today and said, "Sheez...a lotta junk in here."
I'd like to submit that it's a form of photo-trolling, so to speak; that is, submitting a rather weak or uninteresting photo and getting your buds to vote a 10 before the daily tabulation just so that it ends up on the top of the "by rank" list for - dear god shall I utter the words? - a whole day.
With that, it ain't no big deal. climbnow1, or climbsomething, or jut, or orangeoverhang will most likely post something that makes us all squeal with joy and we'll be clicking away with our votes of 10s and 9s by tomorrow morning.

And we'll live happily ever-after. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook