RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerockfiend

Oct 29, 2003, 2:55 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

soft shell pants for winter ice/mountaineering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was checking out some soft shell-type pants for my winter ice climbing here in Bozeman (Hyalite Canyon mainly) and summer alpine routes in the Tetons. Here's a link:

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=285042&sku=83165&ws=false

Does anybody have any experience on this type of terrain with a soft shell pant? I've only used hard shell or a fleece mid-layer with gaiters in the past.

thomaskeefer

Oct 29, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Re: soft shell pants for winter ice/mountaineering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of guide pants that I reluctantly plopped down the coin for.. I cant say enough about themthough. I have been cought in bad weather a number of times including one full on downpour and even a pretty solid hail storm. They are bombproof, have double zippers so you can pee easily and have just the right ammt of stretch.. you wont be dissapointed..
oh they are pretty warm as well.. they have kind of a micro-micro fleece lining or something.

jtcronk

Oct 29, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used a few different clothing systems. Hands down, the Black Diamond Alpine Pants are my favorites so far. I usually wear those with a light lycra gaiter underneath (LaSportiva gaskets). No complaints at all....

blackmountaineer

Oct 29, 2003, 1:13 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soft shells are great. Just watch the sharp point stuff around them. Lots of snags marks from ice screws on ours. They don't tear as easily as hard shells but they don't repair as easily either.

cryder

Oct 29, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mamut makes a really sweet weather proof stretch pant that is very durable and heavy duty.

adamtd

Oct 30, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out REI's version of teh cloudevil mistral pants(I think that's what they're called). REI only has two pairs of soft shell pants at the moment. They're great, compare to teh real thing, and cost a lot less. They are cut for peopel with long legs.

pico23

Oct 30, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Soft shells are great. Just watch the sharp point stuff around them. Lots of snags marks from ice screws on ours. They don't tear as easily as hard shells but they don't repair as easily either.

I found my Schoeller Extreme pants to be very durable. I don't have experience with the other brands/fabrics though.

cfnubbler

Nov 5, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb ice in Mammut soft shell pants all the time. I use the Pullux pants, which I'd say are about 90% as water-proof as Goretex, but stretchy and super comfortable. They're cut trim and have an integrated gaiter.

For summer alpine work, they have another (maybe the Courmayeur?) that's much lighter, but still tough and really wind resistant (or so a friend has told me- haven't used em' myself).

I've owned several other Mammut softshell products over the years (got the 1st pair of pants in Europe long ago), and I have to say Mammut kicks a*s IMHO.

Nubbler

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook