RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bustinmins

Nov 6, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #1 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Winter Trad Clothing and Accessories
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone. This is my first winter to be an outside climber. I have noticed that many of my friends aren't game for climbing on cooler days - just curious if this is the general concensus? If not, how do you dress for trad climbing on cool/cold days?

I have capilene and polartec 200 uppers and lowers - I don't really have a climbing shell but I do have a mountaineering shell. Seems a bit large to do Trad. Do you use fingerless gloves? etc... Thanks, I'm just curious what you do and what recommendations you can give me.

Thanks,

JD

c_kryll

Nov 6, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #2 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Re: Winter Trad Clothing and Accessories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Layers, Layers, and more Layers.....Gloves, warm hat, windproof shell at the bare minimum. Other then that it's personal preferance, just so long as you don't wear cotton. You definatly don't want to start sweating while you climb, get to the belay and be freezing for the next 1/2 hr while your second gets to you and has to rescue your ass because your going into hypothermia. Also remember, just because isn't hot out does that mean you stop drinking water or eating, you need to keep your energy up, both are important aspects to outdoor activity's.

Chris

petsfed

Nov 6, 2003, 9:35 PM
Post #3 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like climbing in a hardshell. I get to sweating too much and end up wetting out because even goretex doesn't breathe as well as uncoated nylon. Thus, I tend to avoid wet rock in winter. For me, I use a pair of schoeller pants, with long underwear top and bottoms, plus and insulate soft shell. Simplicity. I have friends who wear carharts because they block the wind, but they are still cotton, so be advised.

rockprodigy

Nov 7, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #4 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bring my big-ass "puffy" jacket for belaying, but I basically strip down as much as possible when I'm actually climbing. I'll usually where some Sporthill running pants (polypro) and a long sleeve polypro shirt, if you can't bear to strip down that much while you're climbing, my guess is you climb too slow (and don't generate heat), or it's too cold! If you're doing multipitch stuff...you're crazy...just kidding. stuff you're jacket into a stuff sack and hang it on your haul loop for belaying.

the_pirate

Nov 7, 2003, 4:27 PM
Post #5 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A belay parka is definately the way to go. You should be a little cold when you start climbing. You'll warm up quickly. Bring an extra undershirt so you can get your sweaty one off your skin while you wait for your partner to dig out all that pro you wedged in full force because you could barely feel your hands. And a thermos of coffee or hot chocolate, preferably spiked, just a bit.

chalkyhandsman

Nov 9, 2003, 4:52 AM
Post #6 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Layers are definatly a nessesity. i'd recomend miller mits (fingerless gloves) along with hand warmers in the real cold areas that havn't gotten alot of sun (rock insulates the cold very efficantly). Other than that remember cotten is rotten.

alpnclmbr1

Nov 9, 2003, 4:58 AM
Post #7 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Windstopper!

the_pirate

Nov 9, 2003, 7:23 AM
Post #8 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also...... hit the army-navy store. Get yourself a pair of wool knickers. Functional and stylish.

hema

Nov 9, 2003, 2:07 PM
Post #9 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is dry (ie. below freezing) shoeller or similar trousers with powerstrech-fleece longjohns underneath. For uppers some fleece (powerstrech or polartec 100 (mayby 200)) top and a windshell should do fine. For belays something really warm like downjacket and mayby some light insulated trousers (if your feeling chilly).

The windshell could be something like pertex-jacket or some cheap jogging jacket from the K-Mart, as it only does have to keep the wind out (and you will probaply trash it anyway, so a cheap one).

For hands, it depends on the route. If your climbing at the lower grades (for me under 5.7) almost any glove with leather on the palm. If your pushing your limit I would just say suffer and climb bare handed (and use belay gloves/mitts).b

Oh, and try to pick up the days so that the sun is shining and warming up the wall.

And as mentioned windstopper-fleece could be used (and you wouldn't have to use fleece or the windbreaker) with just moisture wicking longsleeved underwear underneath.

phyre

Nov 9, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #10 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you live in Colorado. My advice would be to buy a snowboard and enjoy the cold weather while it lasts.:)
just my 2 cents.
Tim

chicklet

Nov 9, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #11 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

welcome to winter climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustimins.

welcome to winter climbing in colorado. you'll soon get temperature regulation dialed in, but not after spending a few bucks.

here's another thread to check out: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...981ec72ba850118fbd3d

cheers to a warm winter filled with outdoor fun.

bustinmins

Nov 11, 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #12 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you live in Colorado. My advice would be to buy a snowboard and enjoy the cold weather while it lasts.:)
just my 2 cents.
Tim

Already ahead of you on that one - no board this year - can't afford it along with building my trad rack, mountain bike and mountaineering equipment. I just got some snowshoes though - my goal - to wear those out this season! :)

Thanks for the hint!

JD

petsfed

Nov 11, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #13 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
just my 2 cents.
Tim

Already ahead of you on that one - no board this year - can't afford it along with building my trad rack, mountain bike and mountaineering equipment. I just got some snowshoes though - my goal - to wear those out this season! :)

Thanks for the hint!

JD

If you can wear out a pair of snowshoes in one season, you paid too much for them, even if they were free. Snowshoes are hard to destroy unless your usual trips start with running them over with a car six or eight times. Use them, make them look worn, but probably not wear them out.

hangerlessbolt

Nov 11, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #14 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Number 1: Warm hat…Wind-stopper fleece with ear covers.

Long sleeved wicking shirt

100 wt fleece top

Wind-stopper fleece jacket

Wind-stopper fleece gloves for belaying

Tights

Wind-stopper fleece pants with articulated knees

moabbeth

Nov 12, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #15 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello everyone. This is my first winter to be an outside climber. I have noticed that many of my friends aren't game for climbing on cooler days - just curious if this is the general concensus? If not, how do you dress for trad climbing on cool/cold days?

I have capilene and polartec 200 uppers and lowers - I don't really have a climbing shell but I do have a mountaineering shell. Seems a bit large to do Trad. Do you use fingerless gloves? etc... Thanks, I'm just curious what you do and what recommendations you can give me.

Thanks,

JD

1. get less wussy friends :wink: . You're in CO, there's gotta be other climbers that don't mind a little chill.

2. Layers. A couple of long sleeve shirts with a good jacket over them and a hat will take care of you. Always wear a hat, it keeps a lot of heat from leaving the body. Get a windstopper jacket, those things are light enough to climb in yet keep the chilly wind out really well.

3. Have a down jacket on hand for when you're belaying, that way you can stay toasty warm right until when you're about to climb. Take it off, get on the rock, and your climbing will keep you warm after that.

4. Capilene can make ya really stinky so if you wear it make sure you wash it often. I have a couple capilene shirts but I rarely wear them. I'd rather be wearing something that wicks away moisture and keeps me dry but not smelly. Have a couple of NF shirts that are great for that, I wear them constantly climbing.

Good luck and find some more hardcore buddies :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

scubasnyder

Nov 12, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #16 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to wear a giant puffy jacket so its padding when i fall off.....JK I wear a few of them underarmor things, and a jacket over, then take the jacket off, im about to make some gloves with cut off fingers thats a good idea.

vegastradguy

Nov 12, 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

even though i climb in vegas, it has snowed on us occassionally here in RR. here's my run down for the cold weather stuff.

Capilene shirt
Schoeller jacket (Cloudveil)
Beanie
Neck gaiter (a must on a nasty cold windy day!)
Schoeller pants
belay gloves (either fingerless or windstopper, depending on the weather)

I'll also usually toss my windbreaker in my pack in case its nasty windy on the wall, however, my softshell usually does the trick fine.

oh, and i climb all through the winter...i only stop in the summer, when its too damn hot to climb!

mrme

Nov 12, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #18 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb and ski in west virginia ice climb once, mostly work in cold weather in ohio though and this is list of clothing i use for the coldest though i have only bundled up once and that was night skiing....oh yea never did have to bundle up to bad for work in and out of the car in about 3 hour increments crew chief always got cold though i felt i could go all day! the clothing i wore that made the biggest diffrence was the patigonia long underwear , neck and face warmer and wind proof hat... smart wool socks also he wore coton long under wear and carharts that wear thick the artic brand.... he was always way bundled up looking.

100 wait fleece mountian hardware hat
gorwindstoper hat that fits over it
light weight patigonia long underwear pant
mid weight " " shirt
o/r stretch pant
200 wait mountian harware shirt' ski mostly in it'
300 wait jacket north face 'almost usless around were i live only needed it night skiing once'

200 wait jacket
north face gortex coat
colambia fleece pant
colambia shell bibs
o/r gore wind gloves
colambia neck warmer
rag wool fingerless gloves
face mask ' one of those neopren numbers'
old navey high performance fleece 'a favorite peace of clothing equipment i own i actually climb in it and worked also not woried about wreaking it plus it is warm'

plastic boots
down jacket
smart wool socks
boulders la sportiva shoe
rocky boots gortex
rock shoe that lets blood flow to the toes
rock shoe that i can put socks on under
change of clothes in the car

most of the time climbing or working could get away just long underwear ,old navey shirt, the two hats , face and neck warmer, windstoper gloves, gortex jacket, rocky boots and smartwool socks and blue jeans......always packed in the colambia fleece pants and down jacket also just in case. when i climb trad the car is quiet' take around 30 minutes longest to get to it' close buy were i climb wich might be a consideration on my clothing picks 'when i climb in new areas i never wear the bluejeans and take more of my synthetics' and how much i am doing that day i.e. how long i am going to be out in it ect.... also hard to find climbing partners so a lot of bouldering going on with closer aproach times. hope this helps.....

i know reading the other peoples post there is really interesting....some great ideas of what to wear ..... i would love to see someones list for mountianering to know what kinda stuff to wear and take .... and a ice climbers stuff too..... sorry so long

mrme

Nov 12, 2003, 2:22 AM
Post #19 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like someone already said a lot of water consumption to!

bustinmins

Nov 18, 2003, 3:07 AM
Post #20 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Moabbeth : I'm an airline pilot who overnights in Ontario fairly often. Are there any crags close by to climb? If so, I would like your advice. I can always pack my rack. :) If you want to go - that would be fun as well.

Peace,

JD

pico23

Nov 18, 2003, 5:05 AM
Post #21 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A belay parka is definately the way to go.

For ice a belay parka is a must but for rock I prefer not to climb if it's colder than this setup can stand:

thin wicking layer top and bottom, wool trousers, a very thin merino wool sweater and a uncoated Nylon windshell. if it's windy I might take some gloves up with me but if it's calm and sunny I'm usually toasty on the belay ledges.

I usually take the windshell off while climbing and stuff it in my pocket and the wool breathes so much better than any synthetic that I usually don't over heat.

This keeps me warm to 40F, if it's colder I'm probably climbing ice.

jeffvoigt

Nov 28, 2003, 6:19 AM
Post #22 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definatly use the capeline top and scholler pants. I would reccomend a scholler top also. If you want to stay warm at the belay make sure to find a lightweight puffy jacket. Wild things makes some great ultralight pullover jackets that stuff down really small. throw a couple chemical hand warmers in your chalk bag. Warms your finger tips when you chalk up.
http://www.climbingjunky.com

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook