Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
el potrero chico guide books?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sunsation

Nov 12, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

el potrero chico guide books?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Bad_Bananas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Planning a trip to el potrero chico and wondering two things: (1) what is the best guidebook a girl should be gettin' her mitts on? and (2) when is the best time of the year to go? We were thinking mid April...

climbingpix

Nov 12, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Re: el potrero chico guide books? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can pick up a guidebook once you get here from Magic Ed. Him and his wife put out a new guidebook each year, and its $12 US. You can PM him and see if the can post them to you in Canada.

I've been told April is a good time to come. May and September seem to be the months where they get the most rain. However, I've been here for a week, and its been raining fairly consistantly :cry:

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

dilligaf

Nov 12, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Defiantly get the guide book from Tami or Magic Ed. As for the best time of year, I was down there a month ago and it was raining then as well, I am going back for the week of Thanksgiving, I would say this is the best time of year. They always have a big feast on thanksgiving and its a little cold but not to cold. It can get pretty crowded but there are so many routes you shouldn't have a problem.

Partner neuroshock

Nov 12, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingpix has it right. you can get the guidebooks from Magic Ed or Tami. when I was there last, Tami could be found at Homero's almost daily.

i don't know anything about when the rainy season is.

other misc beta:

- IMO, for the heat it's always a good idea to get an *early* start (like 4-5am for any of the long multipitch routes, else you'll be waiting forever with parties on questionable rock above you) on the west-facing walls, hike back to camp for lunch/siesta to wait out the sun once it hits you, and then climb on the east-facing walls of the Potrero in the afternoon/evening. if that doesn't make much sense now, it will once you get there and see how the Potrero is shaped.

- Cheko's has great food for cheap (well, i don't remember vegetarian options, as i'm a carnivore)

- we stayed at Homero's for several nights but then the nightly noise from some of those at Homero's and the neighboring La Pagoda drove us to move to Rancho Cerro Gordo. very nice facilities (as they were created with climbers in mind) and shaded tent sites w/ some good privacy.

are you driving down, or flying? if you're flying you can fly into Monterrey in the state of Nuevo Leon. it's a 30-45 minute drive from there and you can manage well enough by taking a cab (about US$30 to the Potrero). there's an obvious cabstand in the airport where they'll get your attention and try to haggle. however, there were enough people going to the Potrero that the fare is pretty much fixed these days. You can also rent a car, but you can easily get by w/o one. from the Potrero it's about a 2 mile walk into Hildago and they have open market there twice a week (Mon/Wed i think) and ATM's 'n the such.

have an awesome trip! PM/email me if there's anything i can help with.

sunsation

Nov 12, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SWEET! Thanks for all the beta! We plan to head down for our b-days which brings us to late March/early April. When we get closer to the date, and assuming nothing buggers up our plans, I'll definitely PM you guys that offered and get any additional beta. :P

junnos

Nov 12, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try your hardest to support Homero.

jcinco

Nov 12, 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best food in Hidalgo can be found at "The Igloo" just outside of town

leaverbiner

Nov 12, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunsation - as for the guide . . . you can also pick up Mexico Rock by Jeff Jackson if you want to get a head start on your planning . . . but I would definitely still pick up the guide from Tami once you get there . . . the guide from Tami has all of the newest routes and updated info. on loose rock and more acurate and precise grading.

Marh/April is still fine . . . not too hot yet. I was there over Christmas and the temps were perfect, and a buddy was there in May and said it was still bearable if you chased the shade. The way the walls are set up you can alwasy find sun or shade depending on what you need.

Def. steer clear of Rancho Cerro Gordo . . . don't support those who kicked out the driving force behind the Potrero (Kurt Smith) . . . there are plenty of other options for camping.

junnos

Nov 12, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kurt Smith is a dick.

When I first met him, he was giving me lip about staying at Homero's instead of his area. Guess what buddy, I'm not the one who got kicked out of there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little history. Mel and Homero were there way before Kurt could pick his nose and bleach his hair. As for the routes, OK, maybe Homero and Mel don't climb, but locals have been putting up routes there for the last 30 years. Hard scary trad routes. Go get on one, you'll see. Sure, Kurt let the world know about the place more, but that will prove to be a mistake in the future. Mark my words.

....but that's a whole other thread..........

sunsation

Nov 12, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm... and the plot THICKENS...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook