RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

floof

Feb 25, 2002, 6:31 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

36 inch runners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone know a good technique to carry a sewn 36" spectra runner?

If I shoulder sling it, it's too long and hangs to my thighs. If I use a biner to turn it into a 18" loop, it's too small to shoulder sling and gets in the way of my other slings. I currently have it tripled up as a draw. I have to hang it off my gear sling, because if I hang it off my harness, it gets in the way of my legs.

I don't think I'll ever make/buy a 36" runner again.

TIA,
- John

addiroids

Feb 25, 2002, 7:04 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

36 inch runners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I am guessing that is a 1.5 length runner (vs double or single runner) huh? I don't know of a better way than tripling it, but for double runners check this out:

Put your double runners over one shoulder and your single runners over the other. Do not do the doubles like the singles (around the head), but instead put both strands around your shoulder and clip the loops down by your hip. Do that for all of your double runners (one at a time). Now throw all of your singles over the OTHER shoulder. To get a double runner while on lead, simply unclip the carabiner and SLIDE the tail of the double runner out from under the singles. Smooth as buttah!! Believe me this works like a charm. I don't carry many double length runners, but when I do, I usually use this method. Try it, you may like it.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

floof

Feb 25, 2002, 8:16 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just your trick, Addi. In fact, I'm still wearing my gear. That's a great way to organize, but the biner on the double-length is getting in the way of the gear on my gear sling. I'll have to try it out in the field. You're not kidding about the buttah. Very smooth.

Ooze, yup. Totally bogus.
- John

addiroids

Feb 25, 2002, 8:27 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re: Biner getting in the way of the gear on the harness.

That is one of the reasons I tie my own slings. I like to have 2 biners on 10 red slings and 1 biner on 3 green slings (and 4-6 draws) for long trad routes. I hate the sewn ones because they are just too long. I'm sure if I didn't put biners on them, they wouldn't stretch down to my geeer loops, but that's just how I do them. It is annoying climbing with someone who triples them and you have to redo it at every belay station. Much easier for the cleaner to just throw the sling over their head, and then hand all at once back to the leader for him to re-rack the gear (if not swinging leads) or to just keep it on themselves. The less work, the better.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

apollodorus

Feb 25, 2002, 8:51 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus."
- Ken Kesey

Your runners should either be 24" or 48" doubled. 36" is asking for trouble.

'36" runner' sounds alot like the sort of thing that Dr. Piton would use to fuel a long and virulent rant on the subject of Big Wall Theorists. Good on paper; bad on rock.

socialclimber

Feb 25, 2002, 10:47 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try chain stitching it. I do this to my 6 meter webolette, the whole thing compacts down to about 1 foot.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook