RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

skully

Jul 27, 2001, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Zion, Grand Canyon, Jashua???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My girlfriend & I are heading out west from the flat lands of Michigan. I am looking for some info on climbing in Jashua Tree, Arizona, Zion & the Grand Canyon area. We are going for 2 weeks so I would like to climb at least 5 or 6 days. Whats the best spots for single pitch sport routes (5.7 thru 5.10). I am also intrested in other things to do like hiking & camping (where??), websites & books.
Thank you,

fiend

Jul 31, 2001, 4:28 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Zion, Grand Canyon, Jashua??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are sport routes right in the campground (Hidden something?) in Josh, I can't remember too well. It was 7 years ago and I only knew how to toprope. Plus it was around 107º while we were there (early August). Also, you can't get water in the park, bring it with you.

Don't remember much about Zion, lot's of crazy big wall stuff like Lunar Extacy, not sure about sport. There is some bouldering right near the campground though. I would definitely recommend the Angel's Landing hike, and one of the canyon hikes.

Sorry, hazy 7 year old memories, can't remember anything else.

Oh yeah, I thought the Grand Canyon wasn't all that great, I mean, stop and see it if you're in the area, but c'mon, big dirty slopes and fat tourists on burros, not pretty.

If you're headed through Utah then definitely check out Arches Natl Park! It's worth the side trip if you have the time, and make sure you check out the Fiery Furnace guided hike, see if Erik Bjornstaad is still guiding once a week and take his tour!

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2001-07-30 21:32 ]

skully

Jul 31, 2001, 3:48 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Zion, Grand Canyon, Jashua??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Friend,
Thanks for the info.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook