First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

hulk718

Nov 14, 2003, 1:34 PM
Post #51 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers in Christ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, thanx for all the feedback, if you have already seen that site try this one.

www.climbing4christ.org

That one is really cool also!

dead_milkman

Nov 14, 2003, 6:36 PM
Post #52 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Athiests/agnostics don't dislike people who follow a religion - they just dislike having it jammed down their throats by those touting their beliefs as factual arguments to back up their faith.

Saw this movie recently, "Melvin goes to dinner", and in it one of the characters addresses faith something like this:

I don't get the whole faith thing... it's like they took the weakest part of their argument and said, "no, wait, that's actually the strongest part."

Partner macherry

Nov 14, 2003, 6:48 PM
Post #53 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If i'm climbing for christ, does that mean he's my sponsor? When does the free gear arrive?

Seriously, it just seems that religion is being peddled all the time. It's a choice folks, no need for recruitment

beaner_says_hi

Nov 15, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #54 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peak 3 is a good program for groups-youth groups, families, church or business outings, etc.

http://www.peak3.org/

passthepitonspete

Nov 16, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #55 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

{Dr. Piton peeks out from under his helmet}

Er, uh, hi.....

I'm a believer. I think Jesus is cool - he certainly had big balls. I believe in love, forgiveness and reconciliation. I do my best to "practise what I preach," but frequently fall short. I am too easily provoked by detractors sometimes - I have a big problem with pride. I'm too defensive sometimes.

I read the posts in this thread and I wonder. But if only one person reads my message above, then I'll consider my time well spent.

I thank God that I'm "saved", cuz I sure as hell don't deserve it.

And a little-known fact is that my full Yosemite Nickname is "Praise the LORD and Pass the Pitons Pete."

Your in Him,

Pete

{Dr. Piton ducks back under his helmet, and waits for the rockfall to start rumbling down the gully. Shrug.}

jesusismyhomeboy

Nov 17, 2003, 4:16 AM
Post #56 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said Dr. Piton. As my name implies, I am a follower of Christ. I will respect anyones decision regarding their choice of religion. I do not look down upon them just because they are not Christian. Sometimes the best way to reach people is not by your words but rather by your actions. But I am disappointed on what this thread has become. Someone posted it with intentions of finding other Christian climbers and it has turned into a mockery.

djmeat

Nov 17, 2003, 4:49 AM
Post #57 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey guys, thanx for all the feedback, if you have already seen that site try this one.

www.climbing4christ.org

That one is really cool also!

Really cool..... no www.praystation.com is a "really cool" site. Climbing4christ is boring ass site. they do good, but under such pompous guise.......

wishiwaswest

Nov 17, 2003, 5:43 PM
Post #58 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now THIS is the church to belong to!

http://www.beerchurch.com/

And if you want to get REALLY serious:

http://www.ulc.org/

Partner macherry

Nov 17, 2003, 6:03 PM
Post #59 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now THIS is the church to belong to!

http://www.beerchurch.com/

And if you want to get REALLY serious:

http://www.ulc.org/

Hmmmm, ordained minister. I've got some friends getting married this summer. Beer Church: Holy Sacrament! count me in!

pyrodude

Nov 26, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #60 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thinkg that all Christians should start a private forum. Stand up for your beliefs!~

robbovius

Nov 26, 2003, 5:47 PM
Post #61 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thinkg that all Christians should start a private forum. Stand up for your beliefs!~

dude, those already exist on Christian Belief based websites
go there! this is an evil, secular ROCK CLIMBING based website. Use your empty head, for someting besides a maracca!

vivalargo

Nov 26, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #62 of 62 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pyrodude wrote:

"I thinkg that all Christians should start a private forum. Stand up for your beliefs!~

Folks,

Any "religion" that is divisive (an exodus to a private forum) is not on very solid footing, IMO. While I respect people's need and desire to hunker down in a niche group, real growth usually happens through relationships with contrary forces, when we can come to understand that it's never "me" and "you," but only "us."

When a Christian zeros in on a "pagan," he/she is only confronting a part of himself he sees, and in turn, has projected, "out there," and when one of us heathens designate and raze a Christian with bad jokes or whatever, we're doing the same thing, only in reverse.

The trick here, in my experience, is to try and go about this with no judgement, meaning there is no "better" or "worse" attached to any of the comments. Of course this is not as much fun, but there you have it.

On both sides of this discussion you'll almost always find one of the greatest of human delusions: that a given side is objectively "better." The agnostic or atheist says the believer is weak, or blind, or infantile, or ignorant, or worse still, he feigns indifference, which is the opposite of love. On the other hand, the believer will most often believe in the deepest part of their being that they are seeing the true light and that the non-believer is someone needing to be saved or converted into an objectively "better" state of being. The toxic judgement is normally behind both stances, and the result is "me," and "you," once again, and we all remain unconscious of our shadow side, or are mired in the idea that it is "bad" or "less than" the opposite. Therein lies the delusion.

Lastly, the climbing comunity has always been large enough to contain all of us who tie into a rope. No need to untie and motor off to the corner. Keep the discussion going. And understand that when we're talking about the believer or the unbeliever, we're always talking about ourselves. Of that we may be sure.

JL

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook