RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 16, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Tree friendly idea
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I ran across this stuff a while back while working on a house. It's just your average water pipe foam insullation.

It's easy to slide your webbing through the notch and tape over if necessary to make a semi-permanant tree sling. Cut to fit and runs about $1-3.5 for enough to do 2 or more tree friendlies.

What do you guys think? Worth while to recommend? It's easier to haul around than old carpet or reinforced cardboard and protects better than a t-shirt. I tried it this week and it seems to hold up quite well. Downside is that is is a bit bulky, but no more than carpet and less bulky than cardboard.

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/images/foampad.jpg
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/images/foam.jpg

hiker-climber
Deleted

Nov 16, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tree friendly idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a weet idea! Im gonna tell mycout Camp to use that,my dad has a ton of this stuff leftover in our basement. However, is it worthwile wven on a to-roped outdoor wall?

CHECHOUT YOUTH JOBS AND ROCK BARNS ON THE MESSAGE BOARD!

hiker-climber
Deleted

Nov 16, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a sweet idea! Im gonna tell my Scout Camp to use that, my dad has a ton of this stuff leftover in our basement. However, is it worthwile wven on a toproped outdoor wall?

occlimbr

Nov 16, 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That is a sweet idea! Im gonna tell my Scout Camp to use that, my dad has a ton of this stuff leftover in our basement. However, is it worthwile wven on a toproped outdoor wall?

First of all, your typing sucks. I couldn't read some of your post.

Back to your Question. This is not for top roping. The friction would burn through it very fast because it is FOAM. If you didnt understand it is for putting around trees to make anchors for slacklining, Hence being in the slackline forum. :wink:

But to the origonal poster that was a very good idea. Thank You.

-Kyle

estwing

Nov 16, 2003, 5:29 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Back to your Question. This is not for top roping. The friction would burn through it very fast because it is FOAM. If you didnt understand it is for putting around trees to make anchors for slacklining, Hence being in the slackline forum.

What I think he meant by his question is " should I use this product to pad the trees from which I will be setting up my top rope anchor." I don't think that you should assume that he is so stupid as to want to run his climbing rope through this foam. Also please note that this post shows up on the front page, so you don't see that it is in the slackline forum if you don't look closely.

As for an answer to the top rope question. No I don't think that it would be very beneficial to use this foam, because a top rope anchor slung around a tree moves very little, where as a slackline anchor move a lot.

bluesky

Nov 16, 2003, 8:46 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet it would work ok, but I like my tree protectors wider. I bought a cheap foam sleeping pad (at the local thrift shop for $0.99) and cut into three long strips about eight or ten inches wide. Now I can protect three trees - walla - slacklining triangle.

Sometimes I use my mexican style cotton blanket doubled also. I'm particular about being nice to the trees.

Jesse 'Speaks for the Trees' James

dredsovrn

Nov 16, 2003, 3:17 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to use it for long term outdoor exposure, I would recommend you use a similar product made for insulating refrigerant lines. If you have central air, you will see this product on the copper lines that run from the outdoor unit into your house.

The product for regrigerant lines is made of rubber and designed to withstand outdoor conditions. The product in your picture is made for indoor use and will breakdown and dry rot pretty quickly. The rubber stuff is readily available and doesn't cost much more.

Over all it sounds like a good idea for protecting the trees.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 17, 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good idea Dred. I'll look into that too.

I should also add that if your using it on smaller trees I found a bit of tape is useful to keep the webbing from sliding out, as the bend angle is steep enough to make the foam pad's edges seperate.

I've got another couple pics (for those a bit confused):
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/images/foamsling.jpg
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/images/foamsling1.jpg

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook