RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

krustyklimber

Feb 18, 2002, 10:45 AM
Post #1 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Big Wall Food
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is your favorite wall food? Mine is Rice Krispy Treats, for snacks, because they weigh next to nothing and have over 250 calories, and Chunky Soup, for dinner, because it's just as good hot or cold, doesn't need water, and it has a pop top so you don't need a can opener.

Tell us what your favorite snack and dinner is and why, it will give me something to daydream about, besides my boring old dinner, you know how the grass is always greener on the other side.

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-02-18 02:47 ]

agrauch

Feb 19, 2002, 12:23 AM
Post #2 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Big Wall Food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh...to risk the scorn of Dr. Pee, freeze dried stuff is great if you're in a water rich environment. If you are on a wall, and you must bring your water, food that is hydrated rules. Think Dune.

apollodorus

Feb 20, 2002, 12:44 PM
Post #3 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WATER, WATER, WATER!

Take food that gives you WATER! Whole grapefruit: good. Top Ramen: bad. Canned fruit (tomato juice, my gimme) good. Dried fruit: bad. Go for the canned food-in-water. Fruit cocktail, mixed with your cheap partner's tequila is not to be missed.

THINK! You've pounded out the leads (figuratively, or literally), and now you're dehydrated. YOU WANT WATER!

You'll either haul it in a clorox bottle, or you'll open up a can of WATER and corn, or WATER and beans, or WATER and peas, or a can of skunk fur (whatever), but it HAS WATER IN IT.

DO NOT try to mix backpacking wizdumb with wall climbing. You WILL haul water with you on a wall climb; the only question is whether you try to hide it by taking 'dry goods' and then using your old clorox bottle to compensate. Or you eat great, great, great.

Avocado. Yeah.

Dates. Yuck.

Fresh oranges. (OmiGod!)

Dried apples (cottonmouth).

Tomato paste as a C&D Bloody Mary admixture about halfway up (WHOA).

Think water first, food second on a wall.

You'll be glad you did.

krustyklimber

Feb 21, 2002, 11:08 AM
Post #4 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know 'bout the water, it's in the bottom of the haul bag, well most of it is, some is on top where I can get to it.

I thought this would be easy, each person would list two food items, one snack and one dinner, and tell why it's they're favorite.

So far it looks like over 100 people don't eat, and two people really like water for dinner & snacks. No offense to you Andrew, as you were responding to an answer which is now gone, and none to you either Tom, as you probably just fell into (yes that is a pun ) the water theme.

O.K. let's start over.

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-02-21 03:12 ]

atg200

Feb 21, 2002, 1:42 PM
Post #5 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like a lot of what is listed above.

I also like the wolfgang puck soups in a can. They don't need extra water or have big blobs of fat floating on top, and they are good cold straight out of the can.

I like the hockey puck sized cans of meat, like ham and turkey. They look like catfood, but actually taste really good and are pretty filling. The chicken or turkey is especially good in a tortilla with some hot sauce and cheese.

The wheatables crackers are tasty, particularly with the psuedo cheese in a can. You can entertain yourself for hours at belays by making ornate cheese sculptures on your crackers.

andrew

apollodorus

Feb 22, 2002, 7:02 AM
Post #6 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I meant was: take food that already is loaded with water. Don't fool with dried foods to "save weight". And watch out for snack stuff like salted peanuts, which will make you want to guzzle water during the day. Guzzling should be for evening only.

passthepitonspete

Feb 22, 2002, 9:57 PM
Post #7 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am Dr. Piton, and when it comes to eating well on the wall, NOBODY eats better than me!

The most important thing you must realize when you shop for wall food, is that you must

SHOP WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY!

This way you will be certain to buy enough food! You will never be hungrier than when you climb a big wall, so shop accordingly.

If you ever have to ask the question, "should I bring this food with me on the wall, or not?" then the answer is always the same.

Bringing freeze-dried food on the wall is like bringing a freezer on an antarctic trek to make ice cubes.

Duh.

Only a BWT would suggest such a thing.

I like Tom's classification of food.

When I am actually concerned about weight, which is rare for me, I tend to divide my food into three categories:

Anhydrous - makes you thirsty

Supersaturated - quenches your thirst

Water-neutral

Generally speaking, however, I bring so much water that such concerns are a non-issue. I only have to be thisty and hungry once to realize that "any FOOL can be uncomfortable."

[Realizing]truism
is necessary part of The Journey from Young Bull to Old Bull.]

Anhydrous food would include things like Chex Mix, smoked almonds, chips and "munchies", generally salty stuff. I would include cheese and crackers in this.

I am a great fan of Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Wheat Thins, ever since my ascent of The Nose when I scarfed the leftovers from the Star Trek V film crew.

Note that cream cheese does not require refrigeration (counter-intuitive, I know!) and will "keep" fine for well over a week on the wall! The sundried tomatoe flavour (spelled with a "u", of course) is particularly tasty.

For me, tomatoe-based cans like ravioli tend to dry me out, and require a bit of extra drink.

For supper, I tend to eat one can of something like chili, pasta, or baked beans, along with a couple white flour tortillas, which keep much better than the corn variety. One supper I sometimes enjoy is canned sardines in tomotoe or mustard sauce. I am certainly not a vegetarian, but I recommend Dennison's vegetarian chili.

Occasionally for supper I will eat cheese, crackers and wine. On the Sea of Dreams, Nick and I enjoyed three varieties of crackers with five varieties of cheese. Again, please note that unrefrigerated cheese will keep well over a week with no problems whatsoever! While I enjoy a nice chardonnay at home, I prefer a Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon when on the wall.

Dessert tends to be cookies - whatever catches my fancy in the grocery store, with Oreos usually high on the priority list.

When the weather is moderate to cool, I will only eat about one can of fruit every couple days. But when the weather is hot, I will always bring at least one can of fruit per day. Canned fruit, of course, would be considered supersaturated.

I prefer canned peaches and canned mandarin oranges, with occasional cans of pineapple or fruit salad. Lately I have taken a fancy to apple sauce for no other reason than the fact that it is cheapest! When you work for a cheap bastard of an employer like I do, then you like to save money when you can.

For breakfast, I am a big fan of coffee. I will NEVER do another wall without my stove and french coffee press! If you aspire to be as lazy as me, then you too can always find the time for another cup o' joe. This ordinarily permits me to delay climbing until at least the late morning or at best, the afternoon.

If you do not choose to bring a stove, you may be interested to know that instant cappucchino and General Mills International Coffees when made with cold water and well shaken in a 500 ml wide-mouthed Gatorade bottle is a tasty source of caffeine! Throw in some Advil and you have the Breakfast of Champions:

Ibuprofen and coffee.

Even instant oatmeal can be eaten cold - just make sure you soak it long enough, about half an hour. But it tastes better hot.

I also like to eat pop-tarts and certain breakfast bars, especially the ones made with oatmeal.

But my favourite breakfast has to be those little cinnamon doughnuts! Man, I can eat a whole damn box of those things every morning!

When it comes to drinks on the wall, I am a great fan of Gatorade crystals added to water bottles. Just be sure to bring your big wall funnel. You will want to mix your crystals on the wall so you don't inadvertently end up with too much drink, and not enough plain water for either your coffee pot or your solar-powered shower. Dr. Piton does not recommend showering in Gatorade.

If you need to know how much water to bring, then you should Ask Dr. Piton.

As far as snacky things go, I have already mentioned Chex Mix which was a tip from Chongo. I'm not a big fan of choco bars for some reason.

One of my favourite snacks is Mennonite summer sausage, which I normally buy at the Waterloo Farmers' Market. The fun part, besides checking out the Mennonite babes who work in the stalls dressed in their traditional outfits, is to sample the wares before making a final decision. (I mean the summer sausage, not the girls...)

I acquired a taste for summer sausage during my numerous forays to Mennonite country in pursuit of my passion for quilting.

I also favour rocket fuel - chocolate-covered espresso beans. Chomp down a couple of those and feel the surge! Woo-hoo!

I do NOT EVER eat granola bars or power bars! Power bars taste like plastic, and after a month-long caving trip to Belize twenty years ago, where our ration included two granola bars per person per day, I have found those things completely unpalatable ever since.

Also please note that except in the case of emergency, Dr. Piton EMPHATICALLY DISCOURAGES the use of alcohol when on a big wall.

Nevertheless, emergencies do occur from time to time, and alcohol may need to be consumed. Some wall climbers will insist upon consuming alcohol in spite of Dr. Piton's warnings to the contrary.

For the sake of emergencies and the sake of those who would not heed the advice of abstinence, Dr. Piton suggests you bring extra water since alcohol fits in the anhydrous foods category.

Yours etc.,

Dr. Piton

[burp]

climberstephen

Feb 22, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #8 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always remember how good Chalk tastes when you run out of food on the wall.. mmm.. yummy:p... Though it doesn't help your hydration situation out much!

krustyklimber

Feb 23, 2002, 1:51 AM
Post #9 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pete man, thanks for the dissertation on culinary comfort, but I asked for ONE snack and ONE dinner from EACHperson. (You never should've taught me to do BOLD letters ) I thought we would save breakfast and beverages for another thread.

Stephen I think chalk falls under the medicine category, I have been known to slosh down a small amount of it when I have 5 alarm heartburn.

O.K. Start Over!!
One snack, one dinner, Why is that your favorite?

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-02-22 17:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-02-22 17:55 ]

passthepitonspete

Feb 23, 2002, 2:02 AM
Post #10 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Er, uh, like, I kinda got carried away, eh?

These things happen when you are loquacious.

addiroids

Feb 25, 2002, 8:21 AM
Post #11 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting carried away happens even more when you are garrulous and effusive.

I can eat pretty much anything. I really like FROSTED Animal Crackers for a snack. As far as meals go, I haven't gotten into the Wall Cuisine yet, but a can of fruit and a can of tuna (not mixed together) is good with any and all meals!!

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

[ This Message was edited by: addiroids on 2002-02-25 01:13 ]

agrauch

Feb 27, 2002, 12:14 AM
Post #12 of 12 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad we all agree that water is a good thing. I prefer to flavor my water with Cytomax.

For munchies, dried cranberries rule. They taste good, they're chewy, light, and help fight gum disease. Which is always good if you forget your tooth brush.

Since I don't eat meat, a can of Vegi Chili and a bagel is good dinner.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook