Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

tenn_dawg

Nov 18, 2003, 11:44 PM
Post #1 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Quitting Climbing...for awhile...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well after much debate, I think I'm going to take a break from serious climbing.

I recently had the revalation that I've spent every single weekend (except one) for the last 3 months climbing. Many of these weekends involved leaving on Friday afternoon, and coming home Sunday night or Monday morning. Helluva good time that's for sure.

Real life is starting to suffer though. My grades are mediocre at best, I'm so broke that it's unbelievable. And I've been on 3, count them, THREE dates in the last 3 months. Totally Unacceptable.

This weekend, I'm going to a Sorority Formal on Friday, the mall on Saturday, and Sunday is open.

(twitch twitch...pretend the lameness isin't real)

God, that's some of the lamest stuff ever, but I've got to expand my horizons a little. I've forgotten what it's like to drink while not smelling campfire smoke, and I haven't been to a party in 3 months when the music wasn't supplied by me or one of my friends with a guitar.

Urg...Return to the real world...I feel like I just got dropped off by the spaceship.

Travis

rvega

Nov 18, 2003, 11:59 PM
Post #2 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quitting Climbing...for awhile... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I quit for two years cold turkey. Think climbing had lost something and was no longer fun. When I came back I was so much better and focused. Sometimes a step back is good thing.

pisceian

Nov 19, 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #3 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand grades suffering and having no money... but what's wrong with the climbing life? Why do you feel the need to lead a "normal" life with frat parties and going to the mall?
Break norms!!!

tenn_dawg

Nov 19, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #4 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I understand grades suffering and having no money... but what's wrong with the climbing life? Why do you feel the need to lead a "normal" life with frat parties and going to the mall?
Break norms!!!

Believe me, I'm a norm breaking fiend. Too many cold night, and not enough climbing girls=serious issue! Hahaha.

I'm still going to climb, just not nearly as much. All weekend every weekend, and a couple trips to the gym durring the week is just a little too much. I need to get a life...

Imagine if my hobby was remote control cars or something else, and I was dedicating this much time to it. That wouldn't be healthy...I'm extrapolating a little and trying to view a climbing addiction from the outside. A little step back shouldn't hurt.

The first person to PM me asking for my gear is going to get an earfull though!!!

Hahaha

Travis

moabbeth

Nov 19, 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #5 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After a couple boring weekends in the real world, you'll change your mind. I've spent almost every weekend climbing/road tripping for so long, I was actually here in LA on Sunday not climbing...first Sunday in town in AGES. I was so bored I didn't know what to do with myself. I went shopping...boring. Cooked dinner...it was okay but it woulda tasted better around a campfire. As for dates, are there no cute climber chicks out your way? If you've spent this long climbing, being stuck in town with some sorority chickie going to the mall is gonna be a MAJOR withdrawl for ya.

flatlandsclimber

Nov 19, 2003, 1:08 AM
Post #6 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever you do don't get hooked on some sorority chick this weekend. Made that mistake four years ago. Now everytime I want to hit the road:
A) I can't take her because sweating and sleeping in a tent or truck are unacceptable
B) You get asked questions like "You love rocks more than me don't you"

And when they tell you how much they love the outdoors and climbing, know that it is a lie. Better off meeting her at the crag, better yet The Valley, because then you know she can hang.

tradpuppy

Nov 19, 2003, 1:47 AM
Post #7 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The next time you go to the Glass, do:
The Nose
Peregrine
Sundial Crack
Left Up
Bloody Crack
Gemini Cracks
Second Coming
Rat's Ass
Maybe even Zodiac, if you like a 30ft. runout slab off the ledge.
Stay off Tits and Beer, it's serious. When Jeep Gaskin and Pappy call something "N.C. sporty 5.8" avoid it until you get your "Glass feets".
You see Travis, maybe having bitchy old tempermental me along may not be as bad as you think.

reno

Nov 19, 2003, 1:53 AM
Post #8 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well after much debate, I think I'm going to take a break from serious climbing.

Nothing wrong with that... a break might bring new insight as to what really matters to you.

In reply to:
I recently had the revalation that I've spent every single weekend (except one) for the last 3 months climbing. Many of these weekends involved leaving on Friday afternoon, and coming home Sunday night or Monday morning. Helluva good time that's for sure.

And plenty of stories to tell, I imagine?

In reply to:
Real life is starting to suffer though. My grades are mediocre at best, I'm so broke that it's unbelievable. And I've been on 3, count them, THREE dates in the last 3 months. Totally Unacceptable.

Trade ya?

In reply to:
This weekend, I'm going to a Sorority Formal on Friday, the mall on Saturday, and Sunday is open.

You'll look resplendant in a little black dress, I'm sure! :wink:

In reply to:
God, that's some of the lamest stuff ever, but I've got to expand my horizons a little. I've forgotten what it's like to drink while not smelling campfire smoke, and I haven't been to a party in 3 months when the music wasn't supplied by me or one of my friends with a guitar.

Urg...Return to the real world...I feel like I just got dropped off by the spaceship.

Don't forget your roots, brother... we'll be here when you return to the fold.

rockclimbr

Nov 19, 2003, 1:55 AM
Post #9 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know the real solution to this is, of course, a female climbing partner to move into town who can help keep you on task so you get good grades, supply a nice sized rack (no pun of course :wink: ) , and go and climb with you...ooo..one can only dream...

fryinbacon

Nov 19, 2003, 2:04 AM
Post #10 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockclimbr - I had a girl like that once, then I woke up.

mike_ok

Post #11 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not dating because you're spending all your time climbing is a bad move...

but not climbing because you're spending your weekends dating is even worse.

I've found that Tuesdays and Thursdays make great date nights. Why those two nights? I'm not really sure... but they work. Just work around climbing...

By the way, sorority functions are really lame, especially to someone who is used to spending weekends camping. I've dated, seriously and casually, sorority girls. The functions blow... but thats just me, and I'm a climber. ;-)

dingus

Post #12 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Argh matie, that's all right! You'll see us all again in Hell!

Three mugs for tenn-dawg! ARRGH!

DMT

tenn_dawg

Nov 19, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #13 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Stay off Tits and Beer, it's serious. When Jeep Gaskin and Pappy call something "N.C. sporty 5.8" avoid it until you get your "Glass feets".
You see Travis, maybe having b---- old tempermental me along may not be as bad as you think.

I did Tits and Beer last weekend. It was hard as hell for a .9. that has nothing to do with this though, overall, I had a blast at Looking Glass!

Travis

tenn_dawg

Nov 19, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #14 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Argh matie, that's all right! You'll see us all again in Hell!

Three mugs for tenn-dawg! ARRGH!

DMT

Avast!! Tis no coincidence me last name be "DAWG". Argh!

Capt. ThirdLegaPeg

tradpuppy

Nov 19, 2003, 2:22 AM
Post #15 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You see Travis, maybe having b---- old tempermental me along may not be as bad as you think.

I did Tits and Beer last weekend. It was hard as hell for a .9. that has nothing to do with this though, overall, I had a blast at Looking Glass!

Travis

Looking Glass is a special enchanted place. Though I've epic-ed 2x there, it still calls me. Me and the Glass have a long history.

epic_ed

Nov 19, 2003, 2:22 AM
Post #16 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trav -- face it. You're getting old and you're a loser. Climbing's all you've got left, brah! Embrace your inner loser and climb until you've isolated yourself from the artificial world of women, school, work, and responsibilities.

BTW -- what size are you? I might have the perfect dress.

tommyf

Nov 19, 2003, 5:55 AM
Post #17 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And when they tell you how much they love the outdoors and climbing, know that it is a lie.

Hell Yea,, you know that's right.

maculated

Nov 19, 2003, 5:59 AM
Post #18 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whatever you do don't get hooked on some sorority chick this weekend. Made that mistake four years ago. Now everytime I want to hit the road:
A) I can't take her because sweating and sleeping in a tent or truck are unacceptable
B) You get asked questions like "You love rocks more than me don't you"
And when they tell you how much they love the outdoors and climbing, know that it is a lie. Better off meeting her at the crag, better yet The Valley, because then you know she can hang.

Pretty true. I admit, though, I was in a sorority for a year and a half. I got in because I told them I was into hanggliding that that was way interesting. Too bad none of them had any interesting hobbies as well. I dropped out when I tried to compile a list of interests for an ice breaker and they all had the same thing (the only thing different was order): shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach. I asked one girl why she didn't mention drumming: "Well, no one else did anything like that!"

Effin' sheep.

Anyway, good luck in re-entering the real world. My love life has also suffered because of climbing (more because guy climbing partners don't want to screw with a good thing, or my sentiments the same way), but the last few years have been the best of my life, changed my perceptions about a lot of things, and I would never give that up. Ever.

joeschmoe

Nov 19, 2003, 6:25 AM
Post #19 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, can i have your gear? :P

Partner braveheart

Nov 19, 2003, 6:49 AM
Post #20 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Question: What is that picture you have of the kitten running from the monsters? I think I saw that on a commercial but can't remember what it's about.

Can't stress the importance of getting good grades, it's something that you can't go back and easily do over.

Other than that, wait until you see the crap that goes on in the "real world"; look at how popular "reality" shows are. A ton of people in the "real world" actually sit on their couches every week and live their lives vicariously through people like you.

I'll take a campfire and acoustic guitar music any day over the crap that comes on TV and the plastic mass produced crap like Britney on the radio everyday. People in the "real world" give a crap that Britney kissed Madonna.

Oh yeah, have fun in the mall, thinking about rappelling down to the first floor or climbing on all the structures they have there. You will soon see that most of the stuff there is garbage. In fact, think about all the people who spend every weekend in the mall, is that any lamer than climbing?

I think not. The point is to do what makes you happy while making sure that what needs to get done gets done. If you want to go to the mall and hang with sorority sisters, that's cool, but do it because that is what you really want to do and not what you think other people expect you to do. Maybe you don't want to climb every weekend, I'm sure that you can balance it out so that you will have time for climbing as well as some downtime, which will make the climbing even more exciting when you go.

Eric

curt

Nov 19, 2003, 6:56 AM
Post #21 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Trav -- face it. You're getting old and you're a loser. Climbing's all you've got left, brah! Embrace your inner loser and climb until you've isolated yourself from the artificial world of women, school, work, and responsibilities.

BTW -- what size are you? I might have the perfect dress.

Ed,

Frankly the thought of you in a dress is scaring me a little.

Curt

maculated

Nov 19, 2003, 6:58 AM
Post #22 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Question: What is that picture you have of the kitten running from the monsters? I think I saw that on a commercial but can't remember what it's about.

Nah, it's an image cropped from a photoshop contest on Fark.com. You've seen it with the caption: "Everytime you masturbate you kill a kitten. Please, God, think of the kittens."

The image has been around.

jookyhead

Nov 19, 2003, 6:59 AM
Post #23 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A break from climbing? Going back to the real world? I dare say you're gonna be bored outta your mind in the "real world" and the freed up time will be spent here on this site :P .
Oh well, I know you'll be back...
They always come back...
Crawling back...

BTW, I love the new sig :wink:

curt

Nov 19, 2003, 7:02 AM
Post #24 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

(twitch twitch...pretend the lameness isin't real)

Travis

So, just how is this going to help you win the Scotch wager we have going for next spring? Haha.

Curt

bumblie

Nov 19, 2003, 2:43 PM
Post #25 of 71 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Travis

Me thinks he doth protest too much. :lol:

I wish you had come to this realization around 5pm on Saturday. It sure would have made my life a whole lot easier. We could've just rapped straight down, leaving gear (you no longer need) along the way. I know my wife would have liked that.

What's the deal w/ you committed traddies from K-ville, anyway. First Dmac, now you. Maybe it's all that time you spend at Cherokee Bluffs, on the Tennessee. The fumes from that river will ROT YOUR BRAIN.

Good God man!!! Get a hold of yourself. Bouldering is the place to be. A whole lot more chickies there than out doing trad.

Then again, it's always about that last climb. Are you a hero or a zero? :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook