RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

sync

Nov 21, 2003, 4:58 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Best affordable handheld GPS receiver??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all....

I'm hoping that I might take advantage of some of your technical expertise. I am looking into buying a handheld GPS receiver, mostly for fun though I imagine it could be useful to have while out climbing and hiking.

Doing some research online, I think I have narrowed down my choice to either the Garmin eTrex Legend or the Magellan SporTrak Map (or Pro). They seem to have equivalent feature sets; however, many of the reviews have stated that the eTrex series (using a patch antenna) doesn't get as good reception as the Magellan devices (quad helix antenna).

Another thing I might want to do is download some Topo maps to the unit. From what I have read at amazon.com, the Magellan software gets very bad reviews.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these units and can verify the claim that the eTrex may have reception problems when taken out into the woods.

Thanks for any advice any of you might be able to give me.

-sync

griffix

Nov 21, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best affordable handheld GPS receiver?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Garmin eTrex, and I like it very much. It works well, and maps can easily be downloaded into it. Also if you want to put enough time into it, check this out http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43462&highlight=

redpiton

Nov 21, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

howdy-

I've got an e-trex Vista ($299) and i've never experienced trouble with reception in the woods... indoors and in cars yes... but if you can find a GPS that gets reception indoors then I have a steaming pile of $hit for sale if you are interested. The Legend is the model just below the Vista, and all the Garmin E-trex models recieve the exact same signal with the exact same amount of power.

If you are at the crags, reception will generally not be as good as when you are in the woods or in a field or on a mountain due to the fact that the sky is 50% blocked by the rock itself. This may add to reception problems. Also, some GPS recievers either need to be laid flat or tilted up toward the sky to recieve better reception. On the E-trex Models as well, there is an option (on the newer models) to activate WAAS navigational power (gets slightly better reception, but uses more battery) Try that too.

Some companies may say that their signals are stronger then others... but its all propoganda. The government controls the signal strength and accuracy, and all units, be it magellan or Garmin, recieve at the same strength.

The Legend, in my opinion, is the best for value, because it includes base maps of North and South America.

pm me if ya want more info

:o

sync

Nov 21, 2003, 1:32 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got an e-trex Vista ($299) and i've never experienced trouble with reception in the woods...

That's good to hear.

In reply to:
If you are at the crags, reception will generally not be as good as when you are in the woods or in a field or on a mountain due to the fact that the sky is 50% blocked by the rock itself.

Yes, I would expect this, and that is acceptable.

In reply to:
Some companies may say that their signals are stronger then others... but its all propoganda. The government controls the signal strength and accuracy, and all units, be it magellan or Garmin, recieve at the same strength.

Well, it is not that the signal coming from the satellites would be stronger, but depending on what type and size of the antenna, you may get better reception under varying cover.

In reply to:
The Legend, in my opinion, is the best for value, because it includes base maps of North and South America.

The Magellan models also come with a detailed basemap.

Anyone have experience downloading Topo maps to their receivers?

thinksinpictures

Nov 21, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone have experience downloading Topo maps to their receivers?

For that matter, does anyone know of any sites that offer free downloads of reasonable quality roadmaps? I'll be road tripping next year and I could use som good maps without burning a hole in my pocket.

maldaly

Nov 21, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like my Garmin eTrex Summit. As a nagigational tool it beats others because it has a real compass and altimiter. Most GPS usitn require that you be moving for the compass to work which is a pain if you're trying to locate yourself. The altimiter is nece, too. For topo navigation, the downloadable maps are worthless. The screen is too small and the detail lacking. Use a paper topo and the Summit and you'll do well.

For CD maps, nothing beats the MapTech Terrain Navigator series. They are real 7.5 minute quads with a seamless interface. Many of the other CD topos I've seen don't have that detail.

Malcolm

mustclimb69

Nov 21, 2003, 3:43 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Garmin is coming out with a new GPS unit called GPSMAP something?
I saw a demo from the rep and it looks awesome. Colour screen same casing as a rino and is compatable with maping programs. sells for $300 cdn!! approx
PM if you need a link and Ill fax you the info sheet.

timstich

Nov 22, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I really like my Garmin eTrex Summit. As a nagigational tool it beats others because it has a real compass and altimiter. Most GPS usitn require that you be moving for the compass to work which is a pain if you're trying to locate yourself. The altimiter is nece, too. For topo navigation, the downloadable maps are worthless. The screen is too small and the detail lacking. Use a paper topo and the Summit and you'll do well.

For CD maps, nothing beats the MapTech Terrain Navigator series. They are real 7.5 minute quads with a seamless interface. Many of the other CD topos I've seen don't have that detail.

Malcolm

Yeah, I wish I had that model. I have a Garmin GPS-12, which doesn't have downloadable maps, the compass only works while you move, and it's a bit heavy. But hey, it wuz da riiiight price.

topitout

Nov 22, 2003, 3:07 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking to sell my garmin E-map, if your interested. I just dont used it often and i need some cash. I will be including the computer link cable an 8mb memory card and the mapsource metroguide USA computer program. I also have a training video that explains the used of the receiver. Everything is in perfect condition. Let me know if your interested

walllizzard

Nov 22, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I currently have a Garmin Legend, as stated by some others probably one of the best deals out there. I was able to purchase mine for around $125 after some awesome rebates and club sales at EMS. I have found the GPS to be very accurate and very easy to use, can almost grab it right out of the box and use it, The interface is easy to use and simple to navigate. The base map in the unit comes in very handy if you do any road travel or just giving you a good reference near roads and populated areas. I recently purchased the Map Source Topo of the US by Garmin, and found it to be a great addition to the usefulness of my GPS. The nice thing with this software is you can make your planned route of travel before hand and dwnld it into your unit and all of the detail that the map provides. While not as detailed as per say other Topo map programs it is the only one that allows full dwnld and upload capability with Garmin products. Well that was a long blurb, anyway if you want a good bang for your buck go with the Garmin legend, I think you can purchase it for around $200 retail, like Circuit city and such and if you look right or are a member at some outdoor store im sure you could find it for much much less. The new Gecko units are also a great buy.

olympicmtnboy

Nov 29, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like you're looking for a GPS with map display capabilities, although in my experience they are too tiny to do any real navigation with. I just got a Garmin Geko 301 last week and I love it, so far anyways. It's tiny (about 2/3 the size of a deck of cards and 3 oz or so) and has a built in barometric altimeter and electronic compass, a must if you plan to do any mountaineering. It's WAAS capable and gets fine reception as far as I can tell, even in my car, although somewhat less so under very heavy tree cover. It was $185 if you shop around, but they just came out in July so it's $240 MSRP. I shopped around a bit and this seemed to be the best deal for mountaineering and outdoor stuff.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook