RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bigwalling

Nov 23, 2003, 3:21 AM
Post #1 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Helmet Use
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started thinking about this. How many people wear a helmet to lead aid? Do you even bring one?

I know that I've only put mine on once in the past year for protection, a couple other times for keeping the rain off me. The time I used it was on a pitch where a fall meant crashing onto a rocky ledge, which would have broke bones for sure. Even on loose stuff I rarely wear it.

How about you?

passthepitonspete

Nov 23, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #2 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmet Use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's easy to spot People Like You Who Don't Wear Helmets While Aid Climbing. They are the ones with the stopper- and piton-shaped divots creasing their foreheads as caused by bounce testing.

Only a BWT - and a fool - would not wear a helmet while aid climbing.

Start thinking, and using your head, while you still have one.

pighumper

Nov 23, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #3 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where a helmet? If you are old enough to climb you are old enough to make your own choice. Here is something to think about.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?m=28314&f=0&b=0

bigwalling

Nov 23, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #4 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I got to say I wear it on most stuff that would have gear popping while testing but on stuff like that it's ussaly A3 and up. So it should have said on A3 and up or anything that will have gear blowing during a test, I wear my helmet. I've already chipped several teeth from pins popping or nailing my face into the wall in a fall. When pins have hit me it never really hurts to be honest, just a small sting for a minute, no real bruising.

But if you notice Klaus never really wore a helmet until recent years. Think I read somewhere he took a fall and every time he looked up he got dissy. So he starrted using a helmet. But I still saw a pic of him leading wihtout one on Reign in Blood. So I might be a BWT but Eric sure isn't!

jimdavis

Nov 23, 2003, 7:28 AM
Post #5 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deffinitly wear a helmet, all the time. I'm not gonna risk my life because I don't feel like wearing a helmet.
Especially on Aid, why don't we look at the pieces when bounce testing again?!?

passthepitonspete

Nov 23, 2003, 6:04 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Even Klaus [Yosemite Valley nickname for Eric Kohl] gets smarter with age. It is part of the journey from YB to OB.

And after you hit yourself in the head a few more times, you may choose to wear a helmet when aid climbing all the time - not just on harder pitches - because you will have whacked yourself enough times by popping cams on A1 or A2.

Then again, you may not.

You might even learn how to not to chip your teeth. [HINT] Wear a helmet, and don't look up.

maculated

Nov 23, 2003, 7:22 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aid + helmet = always. The only time I don't wear a helmet is bouldering or on sport trade routes where stuff is NOT gonna blow.

bigwalling

Nov 23, 2003, 9:57 PM
Post #8 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even Klaus [Yosemite Valley nickname for Eric Kohl] gets smarter with age. It is part of the journey from YB to OB.

You might even learn how to not to chip your teeth. [HINT] Wear a helmet, and don't look up.

You should have told Tomaz to wear a helmet Pete. Not one picture with him wearing one on the Reticent. Oh and who is the sol called "best climber in the world"? Hmm...

Don't have to be looking at the piece to have it nail you in the face, just hits another part of the rock and goes towards your face. But, I must say I learned the hard way!

atg200

Nov 24, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #9 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why on earth would you not wear a helmet while aid climbing? i can think of thousands of good reasons to wear one, and not a single good reason to not wear one.

epic_ed

Nov 24, 2003, 7:24 AM
Post #10 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always wear a bucket. But then, I'm the kind of clod that should wear one from the moment I wake up until I flop back down in bed to go to sleep.

Why not wear one?

passthepitonspete

Nov 24, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #11 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"You should have told Tomaz to wear a helmet Pete. Not one picture with him wearing one on the Reticent."

That is an interesting observation which also happens to be true. It is extremely difficult to counter as well. "If Tomaz Humar doesn't wear a helmet while soloing A5, why should I?"

B*tchin' climbers like Tomaz lead by example. When they do really stupid things like climb hard aid without wearing a helmet, it sets a bad example. It makes it harder for people who are not as b*tchin' to have credibility. However you posed a question in an internet forum to ask other aid climbers what they thought about it, and there appears to be a consensus of opinion.

However if'n you ain't figured out by now why you oughta wear a helmet aid climbin', ain't nothin' any of us can do ta knock some sense inta ya, boy.

mrhardgrit

Nov 24, 2003, 3:59 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I trad climb I never wear one and I can assure you that I have put my myself in far more danger on trad routes that I ever have on aid (few exceptions...). This is more out of practicality than saftey. Your average bumbly HVS/5.8 ascent isn't really threatened when you're wearing your helmet, but I would definetely argue that that 5.12 finger crack with the tricky roof problem in the middle is going to be less enjoyable to climb with a "dustbin/trashcan lid" your head. Also I never wear a helmet soloing even though the danger is there.

However.......... on aid - a helmet is so, so useful/essential. I can't count the number of times I have had my partner drop his hammer on my head, pull out gear when testing on to my head, have small rocks hit my head and have a wild portaledge fly up and come back down straight on my bonce! These occurrences are far and few between on trad/sport/soloing.

atg200

Nov 24, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, but you look pretty funny if your head is gashed in on that 5.12 finger crack when the 5.8 bumblie 3 pitches above you has dropped their nut tool on your head. i see plenty of people climbing 5.12 and 5.13 trad at indian creek or places like that wearing a helmet, so that is yet another excuse.

peas

Nov 24, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #14 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, I always wear a helmet when aiding, but you knew that already...

tedc

Nov 24, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #15 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwalling,
Your profile photo has a caption indicating that you were smacked in the head by rockfall while aiding. If real rocks can't knock some sense into you then I doubt that any of our words will either.

Just don't bleed on my routes. Thanks.

Partner euroford

Nov 24, 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i luv my lid. it purtects my noggen.

spending my weekdays at construction sites and my weekends on rocks has gotten me pretty used to wearing it. sure, i leave it back for clean sports climbs, but all multipitch stuff is done capped.

bigwalling

Nov 24, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, that hurt so bad(the rock on the head thing), I still have a bump. That route was beyond loose! My partner had my helmet on, otherwise I would have been wearing it since that was in the gear popping realm. We both should have had helmets on.

I was more just interested in what others are doing more than changeing what I'm doing. I used to wear it on every pitch. Then I got so sick of that I just quit wearing it. Now it just depends. Most of the time I just wear a baseball cap, which might be why popping gear doesn't hurt too bad.

The helmet might protect your head from popping gear but it doesn't protect your arms. I have had plenty of pins come bashing into my arms while testing. And when funkness testing it is sometimes impossible to avoid being hit by the piece being ripped out.

I'm sort of surprised you guys wear your helmets on every bit of aid climb! But I can't say I would ever reccomend not wearing a helmet to anyone either. It's all good though.

pete_the_eskimo

Nov 25, 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #18 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could use some more gear.

Im going to recommend not wearing a helmet, and shaprening all your nuts and cams to have razor sharp edges.

Also onlyaid while drunk, it makes it easier. and bounce testing is for weenies. and try aiding blindfolded, but dont blindfold yourself until at least 3 pitches up. and eat raw bear, that you have slain with your new razor sharp cams. and dont bring any water to drink. just drink clam chowder soup. and dont bring a portaledge, just use a walmart lawn chair and some twine. and cut off the sheath to save weight on the rope.

AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION I WAS BEING SARCASTIC.

flamer

Nov 25, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #19 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear a helmut for almost everything. The only exception's are short sport routes and bouldering. Personally I'm at the point where I feel weird if I don't have my head condom on.
BUT!! If you don't want to wear a helmut, don't!!
It's the good old USA and we have a right to do dumb things if we want too!!
Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying you shouldn't wear it, but if you understand the danger's and choose not to "lid up" then you live or die with the consequences!!
josh

Partner calamity_chk

Nov 25, 2003, 5:43 AM
Post #20 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like my helmet - it's completely adorable, and i always get tons of compliments while wearing it.

jimdavis

Nov 25, 2003, 8:05 AM
Post #21 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol

Yeah, I think I look |)amn sexy in my HB dynemma helmet. But then again...when don't I? 8)

wallwombat

Nov 25, 2003, 1:05 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I put my helmet on three day's before I go aid climbing and my knee pad's on , six. I am a bad, bad , bad wombat and I deserve to be spanked.
You won't see me with a head injury , unless it was due to a spouse or a business partner. Helmets Rule. I wear them at Rifle. And I uze my hooks.

The Wombat

slabbyd

Nov 25, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't count the number of times I have had my partner drop his hammer on my head....
:shock:

Sounds like your partners got it out for you, maybe you need to find a new! :P

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook