RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kaptk

Feb 28, 2002, 6:44 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did a search and I didn't find this question. I know that nut tools don't cost that much and they are all close in price. I was wondering if there are any that are more preferred and why they are better. I saw one that has a gate on the handle so that you dont need an extra biner to rack it. I think it is made by Camp. Does anyone have it and if so do you like it?

dustinap
Deleted

Feb 28, 2002, 7:04 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius makes a nice one. It just came out this year. Omega's nut tool is only alright. A nut tool with a cam hook is nice also.

apollodorus

Feb 28, 2002, 7:57 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most nut tools are WAY too light for serious booty work. Once you fall on a stopper or hex, it tends to wanna stay put. Cams can also lock into place, or walk back into the narrows. I have a 12" long monster with a hook on one end. I padded the big end with tape, so I can hit it with my hand.

Another thing: a big wired stopper makes a killer hammer for tapping up on the nut tool to remove pieces.

socialclimber

Feb 28, 2002, 10:39 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

size is not important. size is not important. Ummm, Well,I have a Wild Country nut tool and it works fine. It's not the size of the tool that counts, it's the way you wiggle it in the crack.

atg200

Feb 28, 2002, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have some sort of nut tool for free climbing-it really doesn't matter much there. i've never used the cam hook thingies in 8 years of trad climbing.

for aid climbing, i use the super burly pika nut tool complete with mini hammer and bolt wrenches. i can remove anything with that monster, a hammer, and a funkness device.

brinton

Mar 1, 2002, 1:46 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whats up, I use the hugh banner one for a couple reasons. The hugh banner has a plastic handle and rounded back end. This way you can really pound the palm of your hand without getting a pretty nice welt when using black diamond one.

beta

Mar 1, 2002, 1:54 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the BD one, it is light but seems to work well enough for me, I haven't had to leave a piece of gear yet.

The best thing is it will also open beer bottles, now thats a tool.

beta

apollodorus

Mar 1, 2002, 9:24 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Beta, opening a bottle of beer with a Lost Arrow should have been the first thing they taught you in Climbing School. Here it is: grab the neck close to the cap, put the LA vertical into the Gap, pull down against your forefinger, and POP! You can also use a big Lost Arrow piton to open a wine bottle, but it takes a Magician Pulling The Tablecloth Out move to break the neck cleanly and not spill too much.

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-03-01 02:25 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook