RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

ryanpfleger

Nov 27, 2003, 7:25 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Athans summited Everest a record 7 times
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whats wrong with this statement?

This is from the featured athletes section:

"Pete Athans has summited Mount Everest a record seven times and has participated in 14 Everest expeditions during the past 15 years. He has an outstanding international reputation as a leader and guide.
Featured by pushtheextreme"

His 7 summits of Everest, although very impressive, is most definately not the record. There's probably half a dozen or more Sherpa's who have summited at least 7 times. Does this record refer to Americans only or something? Give credit where credit is due.

Ryan

alwaysforward

Nov 27, 2003, 7:45 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: Athans summited Everest a record 7 times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The statement can be true without refering to Sherpas. "A" record, not "the" record, dumbass.

Partner philbox

Nov 28, 2003, 4:57 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Alpine & Ice.

thrasher

Nov 28, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The statement can be true without refering to Sherpas. "A" record, not "the" record, dumbass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

squish

Nov 28, 2003, 5:27 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Sorry, I don't get why Ryan is a dumbass.

I believe that Appa Sherpa currently holds the record at 13 ascents. I don't see how Pete Athans' 7 is "the" record, or even "a" record, or whatever you call it. I also don't get what you mean by "without referring to Sherpas." You mean to discount their efforts because they are merely the support team? Or what?

thrasher

Nov 28, 2003, 6:09 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In many books, Athans is referred to as holding the record for most ascents by a non-Sherpa. Just like someone gets a record for being the first Japanese woman to make an ascent, or the first gay nun on dope to make an ascent, etc. It does not diminish a Sherpa's accomplishments at all. If anything, it puts the Sherpas on such a high level that they have to put everyone else at a lower level.

Don't be so sensitive or someone might call you a dumbass too. :D

squish

Nov 28, 2003, 6:24 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In many books, Athans is referred to as holding the record for most ascents by a non-Sherpa.

Ok then, but the quoted text doesn't say it that way. I think that was the point of the original question of "what's wrong with this statement," so I think the dumbass remark totally wasn't justified.

Dumbass. :wink:

(Hmm. Maybe I should punctuate everything that way. Put it in my sig or something...)

thrasher

Nov 28, 2003, 6:27 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a good idea...I didn't really think he was a dumbass...there is just something about that word that cracks me up. :lol:

ryanpfleger

Nov 28, 2003, 8:23 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand that it does say "a record" and all that that entails. I guess I just feel it could be a little misleading. Lets say the line read:

Sister Mary Margaret has summited Mount Everest a record 2 times and has participated in 14 drug induced lesbian orgies in the past 15 years. She has an outstanding international reputation as the lead vocalist and cowbellist in the band 'Get Thee to a Nunnery'.

Wouldn't you want something to indicate that it is not the case that Everest has only been climbed twice? That the record is for gay nun's on dope? I would like to have that information included. The blurb on Lynn Hill doesn't say "A first to climb 5.14", it says "The first woman to climb 5.14". I think that extra information can be very important, especially in this case where Athens is not even in the top 10 for THE record that is (whether intentionally or not) alluded to. Once again, I'm not trying to diminish Athans accomplishments, I just believe that if you're going to take the time to make laudatory statements about someone or something, you should be certain they are accurate.

If readers were ever to see my name by a similar ascents record I would want to make certain they knew it was for the subcategory of "most ascents by an asthmatic nearsighted DUMBASS (see, I listen to feedback) from Idaho who still gets scared on 5.8 trad climbs."

Ryan

rockprodigy

Dec 5, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to climb different mountains.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook