RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jeffstephan

Dec 4, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Gripped Magazine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone subscribe or have thoughts on Gripped? I was thinking of checking it out but wonder if it's too Canadian specific. I'm honestly looking for a good bouldering mag. :?:

Partner neuroshock

Dec 4, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gripped Magazine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you're looking for bouldering, specifically? there's Vbouldering

IMO, Gripped is a very well written mag. it doesn't seem to have as much advertising (or maybe i'm just not noticing it as much as i do in Climbing/R&I) and their articles make great reading.

specifically, i really like their techniques article in each mag (like a TechTip, but multiple written pages on a singular skill w/ some illustrations). past topics that come to mind are ice screw placement (written by an expert, will gadd) and basic self-rescue (like escaping-the-belay type stuff).

and if you're wondering if it's too Canadian specific, what exactly are you looking for? beta/spray about US-centric climbing/climbers? there's a whole world out there to explore, don't limit your horizons

jeffstephan

Dec 4, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are absolutly right. What I meant by Canadian specific was to much emphasis on local crags. Thanks for the input!

supabadasssweetdaddyjones

Dec 4, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gripped is an awsome rag
Lots of good coverage on local comps (nothing is to local in a county this huge though.)
Milton is an awsome writer.
After reading all the other mags Gripped is the only one worth my money.
Im sure all you Americans would enjoy it as well.

but if u think is sucks
BLAME CANADA

supabadasssweetdaddyjones

Dec 4, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

P.S.

Vbouldering is by far the worst mag every put into print.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 4, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
P.S.

never said that it was any good...but bouldering was specifically requested and it meets that criteria.

adventureman

Dec 4, 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
P.S.

I'll second that.

jeffstephan

Dec 5, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe I'll give Gripped Mag a shot. Thanks again for the input. :D

peas

Dec 5, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to like Gripped, but lately it seems to be losing it's Canadian focus which is what attracted me to Gripped in the first place. Lately with more American coverage it is beginning to look like Rock and Ice or Climbing. Quite frankly, R&I and Climbing do a better job at covering that sort of stuff, so Gripped should quit it.

One thing that has ticked me off is the change from a Canadian climber and photographer on the cover shot to a non-Canadian. That's a great opportunity for budding photographers to get some exposure.

I tried posting my comments on the Gripped bulletin board earlier, but the post got deleted and the zapped my account. Looks like they weren't too receptive to that type of input.

biff

Dec 5, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very silly of them to delete a post like that .. but I can see why they did it.

On thier bulitin board there are quite a few people who are there to piss people off, and would take your thoughtful criticism and turn it into a thread personally bashing every writer / editior / contributor of the magazine.

Although I am not a regular reader of the magazine I can see why you are upset about their move to cover more american climbing, and have non Canadian Content on the Cover.

to me the non Canadian Content on the cover is a Big deal .. I think anything on the cover should meet 2 of the following criteria: Canadian Photographers / Canadian Locations / Canadian Climbers
and priority given to content that meets all 3.

As far as covering world news .. the fact is that many Canadians go down south during winter. Having articles about southern locations (or destinations) should be included in the magazine. I have not read a recent Gripped magazine so I cannont comment on the extent of American influence that is currently affecting our canadian magazine.

-Gotta go catch the bus .. sorry if there are spelling mistakes or lack of sense in the post .. I will clarify later if required.

cabdog

Dec 5, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #11 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I HATE This Magazine company! I live in Denver, ordered a subscription, but for some reason they could never get me on the mailist! I had to call every few months, and whine till they would finally agree to mail me the magazine personally. All this after I paid for a full subscription. I gave up after a few months, so they probably owe me at least 2-3 mags. Also, the content sucks. VERY CANADIAN SPECIFIC! Probably the worst climbing mag I've read.

cabdog

Dec 5, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #12 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I HATE This Magazine company! I live in Denver, ordered a subscription, but for some reason they could never get me on the mailist! I had to call every few months, and whine till they would finally agree to mail me the magazine personally. All this after I paid for a full subscription. I gave up after a few months, so they probably owe me at least 2-3 mags. Also, the content sucks. VERY CANADIAN SPECIFIC! Probably the worst climbing mag I've read.

peas

Dec 5, 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #13 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
VERY CANADIAN SPECIFIC! Probably the worst climbing mag I've read.

What do you expect? It's a Canadian climbing magazine! Heck, I think they even used to have something like "Gripped: The Canadian Climbing Magazine" as their slogan. Now it's "Gripped: The Climbing Magazine", which exemplifies their shift in focus.

biff: Agreed with the cover photo content requirements.

phyre

Dec 5, 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #14 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked out an issue of Gripped a few years ago and would like to get ahold of another one to see if I want a subscription but I can't find it. I live just outside of Philly. Does anyone know who in the states might carry Gripped to buy just one issue?
thanks.
Tim

jeffstephan

Mar 2, 2004, 4:42 AM
Post #15 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got my first copy and LOVE it! It's extremely refreshing to get another perspective on this one and only sport. The articles are written at a higher level (IMO) than R&I and Climbing. Although there are far less pictures than the lader, is that why people order mags? Personally I enjoy reading. Another factor I find quite appealing is the laid back Canadian feel to the writing. Thanks again for all the input! I'm Gripped!! :D

Partner tattooed_climber

Mar 2, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #16 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i have a "Subsciption" to Gripped

i requested a subscription, got a mag, sent a cheque for a two year subscription,.. . ..and . . . . .and .. .... .. . .. . ..well and after 3.5 months ....NOTHING!!!!!!! i've sent emails and nothing!!!!NO resopnse!!!!for a while i though the mag head quarters burnt down or everyone that works there went on a 5 month climbing trip or some damn thing

frankly i'm p*ssed

but overall not a bad mag at all

bubba

Mar 2, 2004, 9:28 AM
Post #17 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one else has mentioned that it is also the cheapest climbing mag around.

dieselweasel

Mar 2, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ordered a subscription with my credit card. Never saw a charge on my card and never received a magazine. I figured it was a sign and I now I just buy the magazines off the rack.

As for Canadian content: I'd say there is as much European content as Canadian. Not that it's a bad thing.

oldmanwinter

Mar 2, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #19 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's way better than R&I and Climbing, WAY less ads and not a huge amount of the "your not good till you climb 5.13c" attidude.

rendog

Mar 3, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's way better than R&I and Climbing, WAY less ads and not a huge amount of the "your not good till you climb 5.13c" attidude.

agreed oldman. I love it. they spelled my name wrong, but I love it. They have good stories not just aimed at the elitists of the sport. A lot of canadian areas but it seems that there is a lot more expansion to other arenas, like Europe and the states are getting more exposure. There just doesn't seem to be as much Political BS that comes with R&I/Climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook