RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

akicebum

Dec 7, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #1 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Aah Ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is no question to be asked or profound statement to be made in this thread, I just wanted to mention that the is in. Yesterday I partnered up with someone I had never climbed with before and we climbed four hundred feet up a steep grade five gully, and today I am headed out to another sick line, a little less steep, but fun none the less. I hope there is ice in your area, becuase I am just remembering why I bought all this crap. Have a good season, be safe, and most of all enjoy yourselves. I know I am .

capn_morgan

Dec 8, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aah Ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

indeed. had some fun yesterday in the catskils. mostly hiking because there isnt much ice in yet. Did solo up this little mixed line. Was so good to be swinging..or hooking :P ... tools again. Finally got to try out my new toys. Also discovered that sod climbing is sketchy when the ground is only half frozen. :roll:

Cant wait for some real ice.

andypro

Dec 8, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #3 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ahve to say...I ahte you both. As a matter of fact, I ahte ALL of you that have ice. Every darn one of you. I'm jealous and bitter. Unnlike the temperature! I ahte western new york :x

Ok...nothing personal...jsut ranting about how buffalo area weather SUCKS. I'm done now. Good day.

alpinerockfiend

Dec 9, 2003, 4:58 AM
Post #4 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been able to get out much in the last week because of final papers, etc... and missed both weekend days. I went skiing instead because temps were up in the high 30s and only getting down to 32-34 at night. I thought the ice would be sketchy, but imagine the surprise on my ice-newbie face when my more experienced buds told me that it was like plastic in Hyalite. Who would've thought? I guess I've got a lot to learn.

akicebum

Dec 9, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of you that are bitter and currently iceless you have my deepest simpathies (I don't think that is spelled correctly). I live in Southeast Alaska and all we no is rain. For some reason though we've got some early ice. Sunday a buddy and I soloed up an awesome local route; up to 80 degree ice for 700 or so feet. Car to car in right around two hours. It was well needed. I just returned for a two month expedition where we fixed lines and tried to lay siege to a beautiful alpine line. We tried it in the worst style possible and I came home totally frustrated with myself as a climber. It feltretty good to get out and remember that I am not a total pussy. Hey Bozemanite, last year I was in Missuola for the whole year and every time I tried to rally a trip to hyalite everyone bailed, meanwhile a friend from AK came down and partnered up with a mutual friend from Bozeman and climbed for a week and a half. I hear Hyalite is phenomenal, so whenever possible you should get ou there and stick it to it. Anyway, as before take care, be safe and have some fun.

alpinerockfiend

Dec 10, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #6 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Bozemanite, last year I was in Missuola for the whole year and every time I tried to rally a trip to hyalite everyone bailed, meanwhile a friend from AK came down and partnered up with a mutual friend from Bozeman and climbed for a week and a half. I hear Hyalite is phenomenal, so whenever possible you should get ou there and stick it to it. Anyway, as before take care, be safe and have some fun.

Logged my 14th day out there this season! Much of the ice was in great shape. So much accessible "ice cragging" out there in Hyalite... what an incredible place. What were you doing in Missoula? Going to school? I hear that Blodgett Falls(?) is a super-classic WI3 multipitch in that area. Climbed it?

akicebum

Dec 10, 2003, 7:41 AM
Post #7 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I was going to school. Blodget is sick, but I mostly just drove up to Mission Falls ne St. Ignatious or up to Canada. I hear Hyalite is rad, I am going to be in Lander for a month in January then I gave myself three weeks to go climbing afterward. I am going to try and hit Hyalite on my way to Canada.

alpinerockfiend

Dec 10, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #8 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hear Hyalite is rad, I am going to be in Lander for a month in January then I gave myself three weeks to go climbing afterward.

Lander is awesome. I live in Jackson most of the time, and will be home for xmas break from the 17th of December til the 19th of January. I'll probably be down to the Lander area a couple of times to climb at Sinks or some of the other south facing dolomite crags. Maybe we should get together.

stewbabby

Dec 10, 2003, 7:10 PM
Post #9 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went ice climbing for the first time this past weekend and had a freakin blast... I believe I am now hooked... Sadly though I live in Alabama so there is not much ice, but I am on the lookout now... I couldnt believe the ice in georgia... Thats only about 3 1/2 hours down the road, so thats not too bad... here are some pics from the ice in GA this past weekend...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=21976

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=21950

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=21951

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=21954

photon

Dec 10, 2003, 7:52 PM
Post #10 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you drive past the South Fork to go to Hyalite you'll be missing out on some of the best ice in the lower 48. Way more ice and way easier to get to

alpinerockfiend

Dec 10, 2003, 10:03 PM
Post #11 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if you drive past the South Fork to go to Hyalite you'll be missing out on some of the best ice in the lower 48. Way more ice and way easier to get to

Are you talking about Cody? That stuff looks incredible. Definitely planning on a road trip down there some time soon.

photon

Dec 11, 2003, 12:49 AM
Post #12 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, if you want to get ready for Canada that's your place. So many good routes to choose from

alderak

Dec 11, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #13 of 13 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went up hyalite canyon last weekend with the northern lights demo... it was a good time, but I can't wait for it to get warm so I can get back to rock climbing 8)

You guys have fun on the ice though... maybe I will be able to afford the damnable boots and such by next year.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook