RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

boulderinguy

Dec 8, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Frost Bite/ Frost Nip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was out for an weekend on some balds in north carolina with like a foot of snow and high winds. i had my upper body gear system wired but my feet stayed partially cold. i suspect that i got frost nip while i was sleeping :( . during the day i wore summer boots with an insulated overboot. and at night i wore socks with my water bottles and fuel canister at my feet. Dose any body have any foot systems that work out really well for them? Also do any of yall have had the same experience and has it affected your moutaineering? i wonder this because im 15 and have a lot ahead of me.

deleted
Deleted

Dec 8, 2003, 5:01 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Re: Frost Bite/ Frost Nip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

will --

yes, i've had similar experiences. it's called being 15 and experimenting. i applaud you for being out there and living life -- keep it up!

as for a more practical answer ... if your feet were cold, there are a number of variables at which to look.

were you in a tent?

were your feet pressing against the bottom of your sleeping bag, thereby compressing the fill and compromising its ability to act as an insulator?

were your socks too tight?

were you adequately hydrated and did you practice good nutrition?

was your upper body warm?

did you cinch the hood, or did you wear a warm cap?

and, back to the sleeping bag ... what was the temperature rating?

how old was the bag?

how is it stored?

so many questions; so many possibilities. the [i:3b436373ee]good news [/i:3b436373ee]is this: your problem [i:3b436373ee]can[/i:3b436373ee] be sorted out. answer the questions above and we'll have a good place to start. :wink:

bloodynipps

Dec 9, 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinism is about freezing balls. That's just the way it is.

Try Patagonia expidetion weight socks. These things are like double thinck fleece and are pretty cheap.

tradkelly

Dec 9, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geo's got some good questions there - ask yourself those and wire in your foot system. I went out and wore a hole in my foot on a mountain last weekend in new boots I'm working to break in, and it wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done.

In some relatively cold temps during some mountaineering training in VT years ago, I found that putting my mitten shells on my feet over thick, warm, DRY socks helped me immensely at night. Yeah, I looked like a goofball, but my feet, with naturally poor circulation, stayed warm enough in -30. Carry lots of spare socks - more than you're thinking you'll need for the trip. Change often, and use foot powder when you change them (it'll dry them quickly while you change sox, among other things).

Leaving a big ball of space at the foot of your sack, and filling it up with some clothes perhaps (particularly under your feet, if your pad isn't long enuff) is a good idea. Or get a matching right-left pair of bags and snuggle with someone. That's of course a little more difficult to obtain than the other more general solutions... Try perhaps keeping some softer, air-filled insulating stuff like clothes at the foot of the bag and the water/fuel up by your knees or midsection, with your boots (in a plastic grocery bag).

A buddy'll go on a trip into the snow with you. A good buddy'll give you his stomach to warm your feet when they're frozen. I recommend finding the latter. They're much more into the suffering and will turn out to be the better alpine partners when things get really tough.

Best o' luck. :)

Partner tyify

Dec 9, 2003, 2:43 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an Alaskan I regulary get frost nip/burn...has affected me not at all bad.... :lol: ...I really notice no diffrence...As long as things arn't black you should be fine. If they are black...sorry dude your screwed...

alderak

Dec 9, 2003, 3:10 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

either wear new socks to bed or go barefoot... anything is better than wearing the same socks you wore during the day.... they will have some water in them even if you can't tell, and that makes it hard to keep your feet warm.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook