RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

adampaiva

Dec 8, 2003, 5:53 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

independent climbing films
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

there used to be a website called climbxmedia.com where there was a section where people could submit their own climbing movies and then they would be voted on over the net. I think rockclimbing.com should start up something like this. There could be a weekly winner, or not even make it a contest, just a place to show off your movies. I just got a powerbook and I am ancy to steal my roomates digi camcorder and put together some little films. I'm sure there are other people out there who would be into this as well, and I'm sure tons of people would want to watch the videos.

or does anyone know of another website that has something like this??

aznrockclimber82

Dec 8, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Re: independent climbing films [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second that, except I think that perhaps you have to think about the amount of data/GIG'S of information that would be DEVOURED with something like that. If rockclimbing.com was to do something like that it would be a rather expensive venture, hence the reason they probably haven't done it already. It would take something like....all of us on this site donate 5 dollars.....etc. which, I dunno, I can't see that really happening. Don't get me wrong, I think vids are BAD-ASS but I also think that if the people of RC.com haven't done anything about it by now, they either have plans coming up concerning it, or there in just a bad position to be throwing that much data on the site. peace

slavetogravity

Dec 8, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here’s a thought. If space is such an issue with RC.com. Why not just limit the space allocated to the video section. Lest say you only allow a maximum of 20 shot length videos (120sec) to be on the site at one time. Once the section reaches maximum capacity the oldest video would get the boot to make way for fresh ones. At the rate that people would submit video clips I’m sure any video would have a long enough life span on the site for anyone to view it. Given that the number of videos would be limited there would have to a certain standard of quality to the videos. That’s something I’m sure the site censors could guaranty.
That’s my two cents. Peace.

adampaiva

Dec 9, 2003, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the videos could be sent directly to some sort of moderator that chooses, say, the best 10 for that week or something like that. Then only post those 10 videos and only leave them up for that week or 2.

hroldan

Dec 9, 2003, 6:05 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds great and i second that.

Maybe we should try to start showing the videos and host them on any free server to check about how things may go and write the links in an specific page or post.

And if is possible to put them here, maybe the restriction could be the size and not the time.

mreardon

Dec 9, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Part of the problem quite frankly is folks like us. Everyone states they want to check out some climbing footage, but getting people to submit is a mofo. We tried it at Megalith and a few other places, and even though I personally put up more than 50 clips and two full movies on some of these sites, getting others to contribute was spotty at best. If there is enough demand and enough people who would really contribute, then I'm sure the folks here might find a way to put it online.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 9, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here’s a thought. If space is such an issue with RC.com. Why not just limit the space allocated to the video section. Lest say you only allow a maximum of 20 shot length videos (120sec) to be on the site at one time.

my guess is that the "space" issue isn't disk space (that stuff is cheap these days!) but bandwidth. 20 videos x # users viewing x avg size... that's a lot of data being pulled down. and bandwidth isn't that cheap when you get to the larger numbers (html pages and images are nothing in comparison...especially since images can be cached and html can be gzip encoded). and unless you get a 2nd source to serve up these videos, it could also slow down serving up the pages.

graysondamondamian

Dec 9, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:cry: :cry: :cry:

hroldan

Dec 9, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well said mreardon , i'm trying to make one myself, in fact my second climbing video. EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ON IT, but no one really helps and you cannot climb while filming, can you? or zooming? it needs time and help

Is true. but by the way, tell us where can we find your videos!

fredrogers

Dec 10, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a new website called www.boulderingmonthly.com which looks a little like a pay version of climbxmedia. You have to pay $1.85 to view a 30-45 minute video. Sounds good as long as the content is of fair quality.

I think RC.com could try to do some videos. Start out small by posting a few videos and see how it works out.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook