Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Canon S400, Canon A80, or... Digital Rebel?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

dancesonrocks

Dec 8, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #1 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Canon S400, Canon A80, or... Digital Rebel?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm trying to decide on a camera upgrade.

I have a Canon S110 but it's only 2.1 megapixels with 2X optical zoom and I need more megapixels for my work (I plan on producing 8x10s for print graphic design work).

I love the size and weight of my S110 and am tempted to just go with that brand with the latest model (S400) but I haven't seen much reviews on the quality of pics etc.

I've read about the A70 here and that sounds good but haven't seen anything on the A80.

I'm tempted to step up and and get a Digital Rebel but I'm not sure about using it for climbing pics because I might be paranoid I'd damage it, also though I am a graphic designer and would use it for client websites etc I don't see myself ever becoming a professional photographer as well.

Any help?

epic_ed

Dec 9, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #2 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Re: Canon S400, Canon A80, or... Digital Rebel? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought the A80 two weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to use it much, but it's packed with features that will take me months to learn and the reviews indicate it's a good pro-sumer camera. I intentionally bought a camera I can grow into and it appears this one will give me about as many photographic options as any non-SLR on the market.

While shopping, I fondled the Digital Rebel. Beautiful camera, but much bigger than the A80 and more than twice the price. It's not a rig I would even consider carrying on a climb unless shooting climbers was my primary function. It's not something I'd pack along to chronicle my own climbs since the care and manipulation of such a fine object would take a lot of my concentration.

Ed

dancesonrocks

Dec 9, 2003, 9:34 AM
Post #3 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input. I think I'll take a trip to the store to see the cameras in person to help me decide.

I do like the idea of the additional control you have on an A80 - nice to have the options but still have the ability to just point and shoot.

Geez if only I could win the lottery, then I'd just buy all 3 of them ;)

spiffdog

Dec 9, 2003, 4:29 PM
Post #4 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an A80 and I love it. The swing out LCD is perfect for self-shots, and nice when you want to chuck it in a bag, because you can reverse it and protect the screen. The features are extensive, and the adjustments let you do pretty much anything a basic SLR will do. I don't know enough about photography to really tell you about it, but I've managed to take some great shots with it, and I can screw up just about any picture. I have not climbed with it yet, but I think it will be a great climbing camera given the size, weight, and features. One handed operation is not a problem. Lots of people climb with big SLR's and this thing is comparatively small. It's no Elph, but it's pretty reasonable. It even takes a decent movie! Highly recommended.

Spiff

pixelguru

Dec 9, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #5 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I love our S400. We got some armor for it in the form of a great Accucase case that's just barely bigger than the camera, and it's small and light enough to go everywhere and anywhere with us. The MPEG movie function is particularly cool although it eats up memory fast.

That said, it is still a point & shoot, and there have been times when I wished for a wider lens... some of which I've overcome by stitching images together. The flash is weak... very weak. Action shots? Depth of field? Precise exposure and focus control? Forget it. It wasn't built for that... it was built to be a camera compact enough so you never have to be without it.

I am also a graphic designer, and the resolution of the S400 is great for moderate print work and anything web. Color fidelity is pretty good, but there's no "raw" mode, so you are always going to have compression artifacts in your images - some images worse than others.

I've been waiting for an "affordable" digital SLR for a long time. My first film camera was a Canon Rebel, and I've been lusting after the new digital version since it was announced. Using a "real" camera in front of a client has a certain air of professionalism about it... it also means you can charge more :wink: Somehow, I will get one...

So, to answer your question, I would say that you do need both, but just like we did, I'd get the S400 first and use the dough you rake in from the great work you produce with it to save up for the Rebel... or whatever better and cheaper digital SLR comes next. When they hit $750 or even $500, it will be a whole new world.

dancesonrocks

Dec 10, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #6 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've made one decision. I'm not going to get the Rebel...this year anyway.

Now it's down to the S400 and A80.

To complicate things, they are about the same in price (A80 is a little cheaper). And after seeing the A80 at the store, it's not *that* much bigger than the S400.

I've learned the A80 can take a wide angle lense. You need a convertor (approx $25) and to buy the lense. Given those factors, pixelguru, you mentioned wishing you had a little more choices on your S400. So... would you go with an A80 today if you didn't already own your S400?

Also, I've never owned an SLR of my own (fiddled with my Dad's once or twice) so I would be wanting to learn more about exposure, aperture, "film" speed, etc. A80 owners Do you think I could learn that on the A80 as practice for the Rebel one day?

gravical

Dec 10, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #7 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have also joined the line for the Canon Rebel, due to the exchange rate it quite expensive in south africa, but it seems to be a great cam. I do however agree on the size and weight. Not the ideal climbing cam, but worth it if you plan to do climbing / nature photography. I have also seen great back packs, design for climbing with a camera (Although I would still prefer a 'great' haul bag for a camera. Don't like something pulling and push into my back while meters from safe flat surface :)

trkrunner03

Dec 10, 2003, 6:56 AM
Post #8 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were you i would consider the Sony P10 or P 92 over either of the smaller point and shots you mentioned. They are both 5mp packed into tiny little bodies. I think a much better size to fit into the pocket because of their shape over the elph. The p10 also has a lot of in camera features that make it great. They take nice movies limited only by the size of the media used. They also both have a carl zeiss lens, some of the best on the market. IF you were looking for something a little more pricey and more slr like i would recomend the Sony V1, it has a 4x zoom and 5mp. Tons of in camera features pop up flash and night vision shooting mode, useful for shots at camp or finding you way home at night in an emergency(not recomended but definitly possible) all crammed into a camera that is possible to put in a cargo pocket or small sack. I would sell you a sony over the cannons mentioned anyday, just my salesman advice, btw cannon offers me a higher sales incentive but i think sony has the superior product.

Dave

wrbill

Dec 16, 2003, 8:15 AM
Post #9 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if you like Minolta or not, but I have the Minolta Dimage Z1 and I love it. Walmart carries it of $380 I think. What is nice about it is the 10x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 38 - 380 mm). That is one of the best zooms out their. It is 3.2 Mega Pixels and it has all the modes that you have in a SLR. The Program mode, Aperture, Shutter Priority and Manual exposure mode. I think you will like it, I do and have been a hard core canon user for 13 + years.

boz84

Dec 16, 2003, 8:37 AM
Post #10 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not sure if you like Minolta or not, but I have the Minolta Dimage Z1 and I love it. Walmart carries it of $380 I think. What is nice about it is the 10x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 38 - 380 mm). That is one of the best zooms out their. It is 3.2 Mega Pixels and it has all the modes that you have in a SLR. The Program mode, Aperture, Shutter Priority and Manual exposure mode. I think you will like it, I do and have been a hard core canon user for 13 + years.

The Hp 945 has 8x optical and 5.3 MP IF you arent looking for a digital SLR< but want zoom, this will give you high resolution as well.

Also, the NEw Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom would be a good choice for climbing.

Since I already have a Film EOS camera, I will be getting the Digital Rebel. It is mroe camera than most people, even amateur photographers would need (that is, those interested in more than snapshots). Any 3+ MP camera will give GREAT quality prints in 4x6 or 5x7.

I wouldnt go below 3MP, but dont neccesarily feel that you NEED more than 3.2 or so. For most people, this is more than enough, and perfect prints can be made in the smaller sizes with these cameras.

I sell cameras and printers all day at office max, and as a fairly literate photographer, would hope that my opinions are more than just uneducated spewings, so take them into consideraration.

The digital rebel should drop in price within the next couple months, i would hope, and if it got in the 699-799 range, it would be a steal.

My first digital camera was an olympus camedia c-2020z. 2.1MP, and it cost me over 1000 dollars. TO think you could get DSLR for under the price of that is just phenomenal, so IF you think you need that power and versatility, dont hesitate to spend the money. If youre not sure if you need it, then you really don't.

dancesonrocks

Dec 20, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #11 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for their input!

Unfortunately I didn't get to read the last two posts before already purchasing a Canon A80 (joint Christmas gift "given" early). Price on the camera including 2 Day Fed Ex shipping was less than $380.

My report on the camera so far is I love it :) I've only taken test photos so far but am impressed with the light metering job and the macro function (something I was interested in for non climbing reasons). I took a few movies as well and they were fine (I'm not that interested in using it for movies). I even got a decent sunshot pic that I took just on a whim while walking on the beach. I used the zoom and expected it to not be that great but it was very good.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten any climbing pics with it yet. I carried it up on a climb no problem the other day. I had it in a small case and put a carabiner through the wrist strap of the camera but also through one of the case hooks and then through my gear loop and a sling I was wearing. It swung a little but not very much.

It was a grey day with not much to shoot for interest (it was only my partner and I so I was pretty much either climbing or belaying and no other climbers were out). And now it's supposed to rain so I'll only be doing gym climbing tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm going to bring the camera to a holiday trip where I will probably get to climb so I'll post some of those pics when I get home.

mike

Dec 20, 2003, 9:01 PM
Post #12 of 12 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from looking at the rebel, I have a Sony DSC85 and I am very happy with it's performance except for the fact that the smallest "aperature" is an 9, which sux for depth of field and trying to shoot at a slow shutter speed in daylight. To give movement to water I have shoot at dawn or sunset just to keep the light out. I'm gonna think about it another day before I buy one though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook