RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

xanx

Dec 11, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #1 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

what i love about RC.com...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is mostly for the admins who work thankless hours making the site better and still have to deal with people who seem to want everything...

so what is YOUR favorite aspect of RC.com?

mine:
...how two complete strangers can have a 5 page, week long ardent flame war with each other, while planning a weekend climbing trip together just a few mouse clicks away in another forum.

(note: NOT the only thing i love about RC.com :wink: but i wanted to let other people think before unloading...)

sound off!

Partner holdplease2

Dec 11, 2003, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Re: what i love about RC.com... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the chance to talk to other climbers about everything right in the middle of the work day.

I also like how when one person asks a question, we get to see the full range of opinions on the matter. Sure, the internet is NOT the place to learn all of your climbing information, but due to the level of expertise among the members, it seems like 90% of the time you can figure out the right answer just by the way the members keep each other in check and pointed in the right direction.

Lets be honest. Getting any people or books to teach all of the valuable information on this site would be next to impossible. If you have a reasonable level of experience and judgement, you can learn really valuable stuff here!

And it goes really in-depth. Not like an article in a magazine that can only scratch the surface or risk losing 90% of its target audiance.

-Kate.

alderak

Dec 11, 2003, 6:37 AM
Post #3 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love meeting people on rc.com, then finding out I already know them in real life, lol...

hilarious.

maculated

Dec 11, 2003, 6:43 AM
Post #4 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually more interesting than whatever paper I am supposed to be working on/researching. : P

fody

Dec 11, 2003, 7:07 AM
Post #5 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgr that
rc.com is way more interesting than studying for finals (mostly organic chemistry at the moment)

Partner coldclimb

Dec 11, 2003, 7:17 AM
Post #6 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lets be honest. Getting any people or books to teach all of the valuable information on this site would be next to impossible. If you have a reasonable level of experience and judgement, you can learn really valuable stuff here!

Heck yeah.

The thing I like most is the huge number of climbers I can meet through here. I've met and climbed with some awesome people because of this site, and I haven't even started meeting you all. ;)

majoringinclimbing

Dec 11, 2003, 8:36 AM
Post #7 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree how awesome it is that you can find someone in an area you are headin to and they will give you tons of beta, ask if you need a place to stay, take you out with them and show you around etc. Plus living in Nebraska and being a poor college student I am forced to live about 50% of my climbing life through this site. Like I tell everyone I know (even though most don't care) this is the greatest website in the world!!

azeini

Dec 11, 2003, 9:10 AM
Post #8 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I add to your comment the international aspect...
Even though nobody knows, this site has played a major and positive role in my life in a way, that didn't even have anything to do with climbing.
The human community can be great! Or is it the climbing community???

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 11, 2003, 9:47 AM
Post #9 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being able to meet up with users when I travel around the country. In about 3 years, I have met and/or climbed with well over 200 users so far.

All but 2 have been outstanding people.

rogueclimber

Dec 11, 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #10 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being able to meet up with users when I travel around the country. In about 3 years, I have met and/or climbed with well over 200 users so far.

All but 2 have been outstanding people.

Sorry to disapoint you there Adam! Who's the other one?

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 15, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha ha ha... Gabe, you are actually one of the better people I've met.

I know that you know of one of them... Through Beth maybe. :roll:

epic_ed

Dec 15, 2003, 4:54 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The pay. :roll: :mrgreen:

Oh, and the comaradarie. I have met dozens of members from this site, many of which are now good friends. I like Kate's perspective about this question. Kinda sums it up for me, too.

Can't wait to meet more of you!

Ed

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 15, 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

amen to that, brotha. i've met countless users on this site and have been able to plan climbing trips all over the US simply by meeting people on the site. in fact, i was able to realize two climbing goals that were pretty important to me, thanks to members of this site: night climbing at j-tree and sending the kingfisher - both within my first year of climbing as i'd hoped. now, as i plan more goals for myself, i'm meeting more climbers through this site who can help me realize those goals. what's more, people here have supported me through the most difficult tribulation of my life (suffering through a pretty severe depression/nervous breakdown while trying to escape texas) - most of whom i've never met and may never meet. others on the site have helped my son and i settle in after the big move.

i've met most of my partners through the site and countless friends around the globe. i've learned about aiding and altitude sickness by lurking through forums and reading articles, and have lusted at climbing pics from around the world. i've learned about the sh!tty side of people as well as the wonderful side. i've learned that there are other climbers out there who are just as in love with aesthetic landscapes and just as much of a goon about protecting those landscapes as i am .. and i've found desert rats and dirtbags to unknowningly mentor me as i fall into a lifestyle that's more apropos me than the conventional thing.

yep - it's gotta be the peeps.

slavetogravity

Dec 15, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a real love hate relationship with this site. I’ve only been using this site for about 1 year, and for my first big-post RC.com- trip, I’ve received a lot of info on where to go, what to climb, and have made contact with a few locals that I’m sure I’ll hook up with once I arrive. The thing I don’t like about this site is, although the opportunity exist for people to submit useful info, they usually don’t. Discussion forums are one thing, and many of the photos submitted are really inspiring. But why no topos? Please check out my user profile to see what I mean but “Topo” On a few occasions I’ve ran into people at my local crags who are using to topos I’ve submitted, and nothing could be more inspiring for me to continue to submit them. So I promise to continue to submit useful, guide book quality, topos and I encourage other users to do the same.

dontfall

Dec 28, 2003, 5:47 AM
Post #15 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the food.....

roughster

Dec 28, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #16 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hands down the people. Met and am still climbing with people that I hooked up with here at the site. Its like a window into your local climbing community. I think of it as hanging out in my local climbing shop (since there isn't one here) heheh :)

smellyhippie

Dec 28, 2003, 6:27 AM
Post #17 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading stuff that Dingus posts.
Nate

dynamitegirl

Dec 28, 2003, 11:08 AM
Post #18 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it´s nice to read all the stuff that you climbers do, that I, here in Austria, can´t do!! It´s great to meet people that know how it is to be addicted to climbing!!! And I think it´s just a great site, because you can make a comment on everything!

dymondbak37

Dec 28, 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

::tear:: I LOVE YOU ALL!!! :D :D

roadlesstravelled

Dec 28, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #20 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love that while I am not able to climb this season I still feel connected to the climbing family! By looking at pictures, reading hilarious but yet sometimes serious forums I get the climbing bug again and again. Thanks for everything your doing!! You guys are awesome :lol:

wildduck

Dec 28, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my country, climbing is still a very small sport, compared to badminton and such, but still i'm proud to be one of the few here. I'm happy to have friends in this small community and this web is like a gateway to the world's climbing community. =)

scubasnyder

Dec 28, 2003, 3:17 PM
Post #22 of 22 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can find other people to climb with and you can find lots of new places to climb in your area

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook