RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

jackmenendez

Mar 7, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #1 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Trouble at Smith Rock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a plan to build the largest gas fired power plant in the Pacific Northwest very close to Smith Rock. It is likely that noise and air pollution will adversely affect the climber’s experience at Smith Rock. The power plant will have 200’ smoke stacks on top of a 90’ building that will be visible from areas around the park. This eyesore will emit a 1500’ tall white plume. There is concern that the pump field and power plant noise levels will disturb the peace and tranquility of Smith Rock. Cogentrix (Grizzly Power, LLC a Delaware Company) 980 Megawatt power plant’s water use permit requires 5,500 gallons of water per minute from the local aquifers and the Crooked River that runs through the park. The plant will generate more than 700,000 tons of air pollutants every year. Construction could begin this fall if Cogentrix gets their way.
If you are interested in preserving the character of this great climbing area, please sign the online petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/Grizzly/petition.html .
Definition of the scope of the EIS is currently in progress through mid-March. If you are a US citizen and have questions that you think the EIS should answer, please submit them to:
Mr. Bonacker at P.O. Box 1565, Sisters, Oregon 97759, emailed to rbonacker@fs.fed.us or by phone 541-549-7729.
An EIS from the Forest Service will be available for comment sometime during the next four months. Any US citizen anywhere may comment on the EIS. It is very important that you take the time to do so. You will find EIS availability, contact information, and comment period information at http://es.epa.gov/oeca/ofa/fedfile.html
More information about the power plant is available at http://stopcogentrix.tripod.com/stopcogentrix/. If you are interested in regular updates or more information, you may email “menendez@uci.net”

[ This Message was edited by: jackmenendez on 2002-03-07 05:49 ]

jackmenendez

Mar 7, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #2 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Trouble at Smith Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There has been a new development. A proposal for a second plant 4 miles south of the Park. The plant will be clearly visible from many of the trails and climbs including the Picnic Lunch Wall and the Smith Rock Group. . I strongly recommend that people email the Deschutes County Commissioners and let them know how they feel about this. Here are their email addresses:

mikeda@co.deschutes.or.us

tom_dewolf@co.deschutes.or.us

dennis_luke@co.deschutes.or.us

climberchic

Mar 7, 2002, 2:01 AM
Post #3 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack,

The link to the EIS info does not work. Do you have an alternate one? I would like to see it. I currently work on Categorical Exclusions, Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements and am interested to see how they are addressing the Visual and Land Use sections.

In the meantime, I suggest everyonw concerned about this to write in and sign the petition BEFORE the EIS is finished. These letters really do make a difference. The Project Managers have to address these comments and if they cannot come up with mutually beneficial mitigation measures, it's a real possiblity they won't be able to build at this location. I don't know the specifics of the project, but the letters will help no matter what.

I've never been up there. What state and county is it in? Do you know if it is located near any bodies of water? It can't possibly be located ON Forest Service land, but is it located near? If so, how are they addressing the HazMat issues?

Thanks much

jackmenendez

Mar 7, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #4 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your reply. It seems that the epa site is metamorphasizing out from under my links. I will post the new link tomorrow. Smith Rock is in Deschutes county Oregon. There are two counties with borders nearby. The scoping of the EIS is in progress so we have no idea yet what and how things will be mitigated. I am looking for good ideas to expand the scope as much as possible. You can email me jackmenendez@hotmail.com. There are golden eagles nesting within a few miles of the plant. There are so many problems with the siting of the plant. Unfortunately, these problems do not matter a bit to the people siting the plant. Only a tidal wave of public outcry has a chance of stopping this plant and the second plant. Duke Energy is in the process of purchasing land for the second plant. They are in the very early stages of development and have not applied for any permits yet. We expect a third and fourth plant to move in if the first two are successful. In that case, Smith Rock will become little more than an industrial site with sport climbs.

climberchic

Mar 7, 2002, 6:20 AM
Post #5 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack,

I'll e-mail you tomorrow from work. Do you know if the Golden Eagle is on the T & E species list for Oregon? If you don't, I can get a list for that area from our biologist (USFWLS website is still down I believe). If it's only a candidate species or just on the OGFD list, I'm afraid they might not take that into account as much. As far as expanding the scope, I don't think there is much you can do for that, can you? The focus at this point would be to dig up as much red tape as possible until they can't cut through it anymore. Do you know what percent plans the design team is on at this point? If they've submitted plans to the state, you might be able to get a copy. Also, find out who the consultant, if any, is doing the environmental clearance. You may want to send letters there as well.

My background so far is environmental planning in transportation. I don't know how involved you are with this or what your background is, but I can offer to be an extra set of eyes for any materials you come across if you like.

newbieclimber

Mar 7, 2002, 12:10 PM
Post #6 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

same goes for j-tree. there is a current plan to build a massive landfill at the edge of the park that will take all of LA and orange county's trash for the next 50 years. environmental groups already lost their first round of court challenges and the j-tree rangers estimate the probability that the landfill will happen now is 90%. i guess the rest of j-tree will eventually resemble the filthy mess that climbers have turned hidden valley campground into.

[ This Message was edited by: newbieclimber on 2002-03-07 04:13 ]

jackmenendez

Mar 7, 2002, 1:55 PM
Post #7 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've fixed the link to the EPA site. There was a period at the end of the sentence that messed things up. The plant is surrounded by forest service land and is just 2 miles from the Crooked River National Grassland and 1 mile from a wildlife management area. The new plant however, is within the Redmond city limits but very close to the park. Somehow the City of Redmond thinks that the Duke Energy plant will be just fine next to their new Jack Nicklaus PGA course. Seems kinda crazy.

Partner phylp

Mar 9, 2002, 12:21 AM
Post #8 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fellow RC.com members:
PLEASE take a moment to sign this petition - Smith is an amazing and special place.
Phyl

jackmenendez

Mar 9, 2002, 5:51 AM
Post #9 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Keep it coming. We are rocking them!!!
Here is something the people from out of Oregon and outside of the USA can do that will make a real difference. Write a letter to the Siting council telling them about the scenic importance of the Smith Rock vicinity. The Siting council may refuse to issue a certificate if they believe that the plants will harm a scenic area. Well duh. But I digress. The Siting Guidelines specifically state that a "public outcry" over the scenic impact is sufficient grounds to refuse the certificate. The guidelines, of course, do not define "Public Outcry". I do think they will be sympathetic especially considering the reaction that is starting to come in.

Oregon Energy Facility Siting Council
c/o Dave Stewart-Smith, Secretary
Oregon Office of Energy
625 Marion Street NE
Salem, OR 97301-3742
Attn: Karen Green, Chair; Roz Elms-Sutherland; Russ Doran; Hans Neukomm; David Tegart; Martha Dibblee; David Ripma

[ This Message was edited by: jackmenendez on 2002-03-08 22:01 ]

jackmenendez

Mar 9, 2002, 5:55 AM
Post #10 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a link to my hastily thrown together web site. It has more news and links:
http://www.redheeler.net/

jackmenendez

Mar 10, 2002, 7:10 AM
Post #11 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are having effect on the Duke energy land option. Tell the city of Redmond what you think: http://www.redmond.or.us/mayorand.htm

[ This Message was edited by: jackmenendez on 2002-03-12 15:21 ]

jackmenendez

Mar 12, 2002, 10:53 PM
Post #12 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There will be a climber's event to stop the power plants on April 13 betwee 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM. There will be free coffee, treats, and an exchange of information. The event will be held at the entrance to Smith Rock. You can't miss it.
- Jack

jackmenendez

Mar 18, 2002, 5:16 AM
Post #13 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Photos from the Duke Energy plant site showing line of site at ground level are now at
http://www.redheeler.net/

jackmenendez

Mar 19, 2002, 5:30 AM
Post #14 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Folks,

This could be it. We are forcing the Energy Office to consider the esthetics of the Cogentrix plant. Either this is really good or really bad. Help make it good - be there! The Energy siting committee is calling a special meeting with the following topic among two others:

"Discussion of the Council's Protected and Scenic/Aesthetic standards in reference to the proposed Grizzly Power Generation Project."

please see http://www.energy.state.or.us/siting/agenda.htm
This is a very important development. The meeting will take place.
March 29, 2002
9:00 AM

Water District Office
Richard Brown Auditorium
8777 SW Burnham Street
Tigard, Oregon

jetace

Mar 21, 2002, 12:39 AM
Post #15 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The crooked river gets extremely low as it is, if the powerplant used water, it would dry up completely, and create an awful stench

jackmenendez

Mar 24, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #16 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 72 hour pump test at half volume for the Cogentrix power plant drew down the aquifer five feet. The wells are only a hundred feet from the crooked river. The aquifer took 72 more hours to recover 98%. Cogentrix drilled the well within a quarter of a mile of a nesting Golden Eagle pair, which is quite illegal.
Check out http://www.redheeler.net
and sign the petitions.

jackmenendez

Mar 28, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #17 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 3rd plant near Smith Rock: Calpine. Learned about it yesterday March 26. This one is in Warm Springs exact location unknown but the plume could be visible from Monkey Face. The building trades unions are expecting a total of 8 large power plants here in the general area of Bend and Smith Rock (they are fighting them too). Just one of them, Cogentrix's 980 MW, could light the entire city of Seattle. Help!!!!!!!!
Please go to http://www.redheeler.net

jackmenendez

Apr 8, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #18 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Website updated with Maps of the plants.
http://www.redheeler.net

jackmenendez

Apr 12, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #19 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have really great news. The Duke Energy plant that would have spoiled the Smith Rock area has been defeated. The Warm Springs Plant is probably shelved. We have one left, the Cogentrix plant.

Jack

jackmenendez

Apr 12, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #20 of 20 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have really great news. The Duke Energy plant that would have spoiled the Smith Rock area has been defeated. The Warm Springs Plant is probably shelved. We have one left, the Cogentrix plant.

Jack

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook