Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mkjwngoat

Dec 8, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #1 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

moving to Utah
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm moving to Utah, hoping to find some one to really show me around. Not the best climber, one of the reason for moving is there is little to no climbing around Chicago, and I can't afford to go to the gym. I have quite a bit of gear and mucho experiance backpacking. Anything is good, as long as it's climbing... Aid, trad, sport, bouldering. PM me or e-mail t_joke@yahoo.com

-Adam

wlderdude

Dec 8, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #2 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Re: moving to Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Utah is a very large state.

You will wan to be more specific as to where you will be living.

rokshoxbkr19

Dec 9, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #3 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True Dat, where you at. :lol:
I ain't livin there, God I wish I was, but if I get out there soon I could show you around.

Partner greenspace

Dec 11, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #4 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word...i'm from the midwest but spent much time in southwest...hope to be in Utah this spring.....I just stopped over in this forum to see what is going on. I'm usuall in the Midwest forum.............what is the sprot climbing like in Eastern Utah? close to Moab. and how bout the "intry" level trad routes in that region?

mkjwngoat

Dec 15, 2003, 4:26 AM
Post #5 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be in Provo, or somewhere close by, depending on how homeless I become

climbinganne

Dec 15, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #6 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grab me...feeeeeeel me.....gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

okkkkkkkkkk...grab me

am i in utah???

OK> do i have good beer/>OK COOL

am i a good mormon...never mind

i cant ski anyhow, although i love fresh POW

alpinerocket

Dec 18, 2003, 7:29 PM
Post #7 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when are you in town? I climb in SLC a couple of times a week and am willing to entertain new climbers to the area. send me a PM when you arive. John

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 18, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #8 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live near boulder but am in love with the utah desert. if you ever wanna hit some of that luscious sandstone, send me a pm.

mkjwngoat

Dec 20, 2003, 5:42 AM
Post #9 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Should be out there the fourth of January. Of course, thats dependant on my car making it through Wyoming. This is Highly Unlikely.

alpinerocket

Dec 20, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #10 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Should be out there the fourth of January. Of course, thats dependant on my car making it through Wyoming. This is Highly Unlikely.

good luck, its a long drive across that state. done it a few times.
do you ice climb? cause thats whats in now, however you can rock climb on some southern exposure but your fingers will get cold.

anythingxtreme

Dec 20, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #11 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am attending school at BYU in Provo. I don't have a lot of gear, but I'd love to get out and climb. I mostly do sport and boulder, but I'd be up to following/learning a little trad. It's pretty cold right now. But, like already said, some of the south exposures might not be too bad on warmer days. In the cold months I mostly climb at the gym here, the Quarry. E-mail me utah_boarder2000@yahoo.com,

mkjwngoat

Dec 31, 2003, 11:24 AM
Post #12 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate all the replies, will send out E-mails or p.m.s within a few days of my arrival. Thanks again.

mkjwngoat

Feb 27, 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #13 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the delay. Infinately long stories... Anywho, if anyone is still interested, I'm finally out here and Settled in. I live in provo. Let me know, thanks

utahwiregate

Mar 2, 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #14 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been gym climbin' for the past few months--I would be up for a boulering/sport session w/ any and all who want to pull some plastic.

If youz guyz want to try outside, I can bring the thermos/hot chocolate & the mycoal handwarmers! :lol:

PM/IM me

-Gate

bdawg

Mar 2, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #15 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what gym do you climb at?

utahwiregate

Mar 2, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #16 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at the big "Q", my CP has been busy w/ work issues as of late, he has been bugging out on me. :cry:

Where do you frequent? The Quarry as well? I have been meaning to get up to High Adventure Specialties and try their wall.

Anyone else out there up for a group get together? Heck, if mkjwngoat is a little hard up for cash (I feel a potential story pending here about getting here a month late!) we could pool some greenbacks for his entry fee.

:)

BTW anyone heard about a third annual RC.com gathering yet??

-Gate

bdawg

Mar 2, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #17 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am at the quarry 3-4 times a week, normally bouldering, but routes occasionaly.

timpanogos

Mar 2, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #18 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all you quarry guys/gals,

Give me a holler when you see me down there - I'm also there several times a week until the snow melts back a ways.

I'm the crazy old dude you will see jugging the rap station from time to time.

As the weather starts to break, we should all get together and start checking out the southern exposures in BCC/LCC/Rock Canyon, Mapleton etc.

I'll be looking for some moderate multi-pitch trad partners soon, as well as aid partners - I would like to do spaceshot this session. It would also be a blast to plan a big outting, say Devils Tower next September or something.

If anyone is interested in going to the RRR - I might consider going down - I'm fighting something stressed in my hand right now, see doc tomorrow.

Anyway, give a holler.

Chad

utahwiregate

Mar 3, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #19 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chad,

I remember meeting ya a few months back, it was during one of your hellish looking training sessions with your ascenders--you still planning on doing Yosemite? I seem to remember another route being mentioned...a name like sheepfarm or something like that...

I would be up for some multi pitch, have toyed with the idea of going up w/ Exum onto Olympus, supposively there is a 7 pitch route up there 5.6, 5.7 trad. My CP has been talking about it for about a year now.

Holler at me, I am the short guy falling on all the 5.10 b/c's whist wearing blue Boreal Ninja slippers (already have talked w/ the wife, B-day looks like it might be some new shoes). I am gonna get those red points sooooooooooon, working on my wall board every other day 5 sets of 5.

I respond to "Hey you!" most of the time, "Rock!" will elicit a set of hunched shoulders with ducking and screaming (I know it is in the gym, but hey, pavlovian response...) and Jay all of the time.

:)

Jay
aka Utahwiregate

BTW bdawg, do you climb during the morning or at night? Chances are we might have already met and talked. I tend to be chatty when trying new problems in the boulder cave when I am climbin' alone.

-Jay

timpanogos

Mar 3, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #20 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay,

Don't bother with the guide for Olympus - give me a holler. AlpineRocket took me up my first time, session before last. I took a friend up at the end of last September.

There are actually 9 anchor/rap stations each a full 60 meters apart with a final 2 pitches or so above this to the ridge.

Most pitches are like 5.5 worse case - first pitch might rate 5.6 - a lot of people simply do it unropped solo. The 1800+ feet of low angle face is VERY exposed and a great climb. I’d be glad to go with you and free solo, normal belayed or simul-climb it. Last time I went I basically solo’ed but tailed a rope and belayed my friend – we took two ropes and rapped the whole route.

The approach actually had some scarier headwalls in September, that were under the avalanche snow when I went with John in June. I would highly recommend going in June – but an ice axe is mandatory with crampons being nice for the approach/descent at this time.

And yea, I'm still on track for YOS, May 15th till top - Wyoming Sheep Ranch is the route.

bdawg

Mar 3, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #21 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay,
I climb at night, normally MWF, but occasionally on tues or thursdays. I am the tall skinny guy that usually is bouldering. When do you climb?

utahwiregate

Mar 5, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #22 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mkjwngoat, Sorry for hijaking the thread!

I just got all excited like Jo Jo the idiot circus boy and went all crazy like.

Where are you settled in at? I heard mention of Provo, and lack of fundage to hit the Quarry (but the offer stands in gettin a group together and I will pitch in a buck or two so you can come crank some cellulose holds w/ us).

Dude, you have gotta tell us the story of why you got into the valley a month later than planned. Like I said before, I smell a story brewin'! Old car, cold and lonely windswept state...

bdawg or Timpoanogos, I would be up for climbing, my cp is busy w/ work, so PM me and add me to your pals lists (you too mkjwngoat!). I climb pretty much whenever I can and wouldn't mind being humbled by you three hardy cranksters. HECK we should drag mkjwngoat out and get him on the faux-rock before the snow all melts off!

-Gate

alpinerocket

Mar 6, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #23 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chad, where the hell have you been? can you climb durring the week ie mornings? if so, lets hook up this season. Have you climbed any ice this season? I have been on the ice 1-2 times a week since Thanksgiving, including a trip to Ouray. send me an e-mail or PM. John

PS. Olympus is a straight foward route, if you are doing the West Slabs (more like 10-12 pitchs i think, if you belay them all). If you can lead 5.6 you can climb it with out a guide.

roc-clmr
Deleted

Mar 12, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #24 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A big Utah HOWDY! I'm Wiregate's CP, who's so busy at work. :oops: In fact, I'm at work right now. Just winding down the Friday PM.

Anywho, been trying to do the Quarry once a week on Wed nite. I am DEFINITELY interested in doing the West Slabs on Mt. Olympus (once the snow's gone). Speaking of the frozen stuff, I've been on ice only 3 times this winter. :( Did Provo Canyon, led the first pitch of Stairway to Heaven, did Great White Icicle in LCC, led the first 2 pitches, and we did a trip to Maple Canyon, which was a riot, but very thin ice. Tried going leashless for the first time this winter. I'm still a little shaky, but it has potential.

I'm gonna stop by Rock Canyon tonight to survey the damage from the mining. Hopefully, my favorite routes are still intact (Ed+Terry Wall, Green Monster, PA's Mother, The Appendage).

For mkjwngoat, Rock Canyon is an EXCELLENT (and very close) place to climb in Provo area. Tons of sport routes, and even a few decent trad routes. It's located just behind the Provo LDS Temple. I'll post again next week on status of the snow up there. If the weather holds, it won't be long before we can do some afternoon climbs and not suffer from chillblains (sp?).

Oh, and for more trips, information, training, and climbing partners, check out the SERAC Mountaineering Club, sponsored by High Adventure Specialties. http://www.seracclub.org

Climb on!

alpinerocket

Mar 18, 2004, 4:32 AM
Post #25 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its short notice but I am short a partner for this friday. I want to climb in the Ogden aor SLC area friday morning. PM me if interested. John

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook