RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

stormannorman

Dec 23, 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Sides of middle finger knuckle hurts after climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did something to my middle finger 2 weeks ago and was wondering what I hurt? It only hurts the big knuckle when I bend it side ways but I can pull down on it as hard as I want. What is going on here and how can I fix/heal this thing? I have been iceing it and then putting it into warm water repeatedly.

How long do these things take to heal?

It only swells up after climbing, what should I do besides stop climbing?

jakedatc

Dec 24, 2003, 3:12 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sides of middle finger knuckle hurts after climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you sprained the collateral ligaments .. remember getting it bent kinda sideways.. maybe a finger jam or something? Its kind of like a mini knee with how your finger works.

Ice it regularly, ibuprophen/naproxen if you can take that
depending on what you do during the day buddy tape it to the ring finger to keep it stabilized until the pain goes away in what should be less then a few weeks.. if not go get it checked out
Here is a picture.. the padding is optional (note: tape middle to ring finger if your middle finger is the hurt one)
http://www.kernanhospital.com/...lintsSlingsFig40.jpg

Jake

iamthewallress

Dec 24, 2003, 4:21 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tore my colateral lig. on my index finger earlier this year. I had to lay off of it for a couple of months for it to quit hurting. The first month/3 wks was total finger rest and for the second, I avoid crimps and finger jams. I found that I couldn't buddy tape when climbing outside b/c I couldn't work a cam with my outer fingers, so I just had to be extra careful.

I went to the doc about it. He advocated buddy taping and rest. He said that I should be able to climb just fine in a month or two, but that it would take 6 monts for the ligament to heal, so I should continue to be mindful of it even when it seemed fine. Go easy on the ibu b/c it slows down tissue regeneration and can numb pain that keeps you from backing off when you should.

karmaklimber

Dec 24, 2003, 7:42 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to the ibuprofen, start taking glucosamine supplements.

jakedatc

Dec 24, 2003, 2:11 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Karma.. i have to believe this is a simple sprain and not a tear of the ligament.. he has dealt with it and i suppose climbed on it for 2 weeks

it takes glucosamine like months to start having ANY effect.. this injury will be healed in less than one month

drugs are not always the answer.. your body can heal itself just fine

Jake

thun

Dec 24, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget to drink lots of water! Also, avoiding caffiene or alcohol will help keep up your hydration level, which should help, too.

stormannorman

Dec 24, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the info. I went climbing yesterday indoors and climbed until I felt slight pain. Went home and iced it and took Ibuprophin. It feels pretty good today and I am still take the ibuprophin. Not sure if that drug is just masking the pain or what but my finger feels a lot better than when I just iced it. I think I am going to try the buddy taping method for a while until I don't feel any discomfort.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 24, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tore the same years ago on my left ring finger. I tape it every time I climb for extra support, as it still has never completely healed, and gets tender after a while.

rmwillemsen

Dec 24, 2003, 9:25 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the same thing a few months ago. It is pretty much completely fine now. I iced, took time off and took ibuprofin, but what it kept getting re tweaked every time I put sidways pressure on it. I would always notice it in the morning when I used a washcloth in the shower on my back - just a little bit of sideways pressure and it started to hurt. What finally fixed it was I started doing excercised to strengthen the finger in side to side motion. I got a little squishy toy thing and would put it between my injured finger and the fingers next to it. Then I would squeeze the toy with a sideways finger motion as much as i could without tweaking the finger. I would do this above and below the joint several times per day, and eventually got a wider squishy toy that was harder to squeeze, adn now my finger is absolutely fine. I am slowly weaning myself off of tape now. Good luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook