Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbhigh2005

Dec 24, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Any other dancers?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone else dance too?? I've taken jazz, ballet, and modern for 12 years.. and am captain of the dance team... I really think dance comes in handy for climbing... good balance, flexibility, etc...

elliemae

Dec 29, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any other dancers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken ballet, jazz, and tap for 12 years. I also did pointe ballet for 7 years. I agree that dance helps you with balance and flexablitiy. I also think that wearing pointe shoes for a hour and a half while dancing on your toes helps make climbing shoes seem more comfy haha.

~Steph~

powerpuff

Dec 29, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #3 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a dancer too...been dancing since I was 3. You're right, after suffering through pointe shoes, climbing shoes are a breeze - much easier to take them on and off and they haven't made my feet bleed yet! :)

elliemae

Dec 29, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya climbing shoes haven't made my feet bleed yet and they sure don't pull my skin off when I take them off. I laugh at the guys when they whine about how much there feet hurt in there shoes.

~Steph~

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 29, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as soon as i get out of the debt-hole of the century, i plan to learn how to belly dance and the salsa. though, there are several 'ethnic dances' (i hate that phrase) that i'd like to learn over the next year or so - hell, i might even learn to jitterbug just for kicks. ;)

jabtocrag

Dec 29, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #6 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
there are several 'ethnic dances' (i hate that phrase) that i'd like to learn over the next year or so - hell, i might even learn to jitterbug just for kicks. ;)

I never knew the jitterbug was an ethnic dance!! :lol:

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 29, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #7 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
there are several 'ethnic dances' (i hate that phrase) that i'd like to learn over the next year or so - hell, i might even learn to jitterbug just for kicks. ;)

that's because you come from a culture and widespread belief that assumes it to be appropriate to label other cultures while assuming that your's is the norm. define ethnic dance for me and then tell me about the jitterbug.

jabtocrag

Dec 29, 2003, 9:59 PM
Post #8 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

that's because you come from a culture and widespread belief that assumes it to be appropriate to label other cultures while assuming that your's is the norm. define ethnic dance for me and then tell me about the jitterbug.

The term ethnic is typically used to describe a large group of people with common heritage (be it racial, religious, national, etc) that differs from your own. An ethnic dance would be one that is unique to a culture other than your own. I know little about dance, but I thought the jitterbug began in the U.S. during the jazz era. That is my heritage, so therefore it would not be ethnic (to me) and I would never refer to it as so. I also made the assumption that you too fall into this category of U.S. nationality. If you're either from another nation or have strong ties to your non-U.S. ancestry, I concede. If I'm wrong, so be it. Either way, you're far too hostile and really need to chill out. IT WAS A JOKE!!

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 29, 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #9 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not being hostile, i just didnt see humor in your joke - perhaps the fact that i explicitly stated that i hated the phrase 'ethnic dance' wasnt clear enough for you.

anyways, off the deadhorse and back to the topic.

indigo_nite

Dec 29, 2003, 11:59 PM
Post #10 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

though it's been a while, west african dance and salsa.

I'm usually in my left brain but I feel dance/music and climbing in the flow is right brained activity. something about instinct over intellect (not recommending stupidity here) seems to pay off in climbing. it could be related to a zen meditation thing too.

when walking on the ground, (like in a straight line or on a plank) my balance is pretty bad but something about the focus required on rock, my balance gets alot better on face climbs. I have not figured this out.

psalmadventurer

Dec 30, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #11 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken some ballet too.
It definitely helps with balance, and focus, I think.
Ballet is kind of like climbing for me, when it comes to focus. when I dance, pray, or climb, my focus rests entirely on one thing, the rest of the world just fades in to the back of my mind.

crazygirl

Dec 30, 2003, 3:42 PM
Post #12 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never heard jitterbug described as an ethnic dance. It is often described as having african influence, but influence is a different concept, than 'ethnic dance'

iamthewallress

Dec 30, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #13 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been dancing all my life. One of my favorite fantasies is that once I've paid off all of my bills here, I'll move to Vegas and dance for my money and climb at red rocks in my spare time. I studied ballet until I was 19 and quit after about 6 months of professional dancing (for school). I did african/dunham in college, and took up ballroom when I moved out west, although I haven't done much for a while. My ultimate fantasy dancing gig would be Project Bandaloop though! If you've never seen them, I highly recommend checking out their web site. Incredible!

addictedtocrack

Dec 31, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #14 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too have taken years of ballet and a few [years] of modern dance and jazz. I must agree with the majority here...it is very beneficial for climbing to have some dance background. Although I have never taken gymnastics, I would also think that it too would be an attribute for balance, strength and agility.
At one time in my life (early to late teens) I too wanted to be either a Rockette or a Las Vegas Showgirl. Since then I redirected my focus to one of the "Fly Girls" from IN LIVING COLOR (remember them?) and now, the Bandaloop team looks awful inviting. But I settle (to where my love is) for the weekend climbing trip with the family and my dearest "Crackaddict"! :D
IAMTHEWALLRESS: what is the website for "Project Bandaloop"? My dh has a video of them...thet I have watched often...and he saw them at a job site he was working on one time in Scottsdale, AZ.

jasminx

Jan 28, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #15 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[indigo]Yup, me too - my mum put me in Ballet classes as a child as I was somewhat gangly and accident prone! It worked - I kept up the dancing and have even made a living from it back in my student days. :oops: )It definitely uses the same principles as climbing, as it requires all the muscles to work together in harmony, rather than focussing on targeted areas of the body. Which is nice, cos I like to bump and windy grind! (And as I don't get to climb very often these days I like to think boogieing helps keep everything ticking over.)

xxx Jasminx :P xxx[/indigo]

deleted
Deleted

Jan 28, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #16 of 49 (5361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i choose [i:77f5835f52]dignity[/i:77f5835f52] over dancing.

now, ladies, don't fly off the handle thinking i'm calling you undignified. quite the opposite, actually.

you see, i am a plain-vanilla white boy with a serious birth defect: my rhythm gene is missing. completely and utterly absent. nada. zip.

oh, you really can't tell anything is wrong just by [i:77f5835f52]looking[/i:77f5835f52] at me. but get me on a dance floor and people start calling 9-1-1 and trying to shove a spoon in my mouth so's i don't swallow my tongue.

it's pretty sad, really. but there [i:77f5835f52]is[/i:77f5835f52] hope. and [i:77f5835f52]you[/i:77f5835f52] can help.

please give generously to the dance aphasia foundation. thank you.

katydid

Jan 28, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #17 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ex-ballerina. Off and on for 12 years. And some ballroom just for fun.

Then I dislocated my knee. I can do barre, but I can't do a lot of the centre stuff any more. Pointe's right out.

Took me a while to learn to toepoint climbing, since my natural inclination was to turn out.

I size my climbing shoes 3 - 3-1/2 sizes down from street, to fit my narrow heels. The climbing shop people tend to reel their jaws back in after I tell them I used to do ballet. :twisted:

k.

climbhigh2005

Jan 28, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #18 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of dancing, I have always been in an intermediate class at my studio and adv, but I liked performing in the intermediate class because I was always front center... LOL not being conceded, but you know what I mean, well this year I am in the advanced class, and I am more well lets just say not front center... it made me think about climbing, and how no where in climbing is anyone ever front center.. ya ya.. tell me to shut up now!

litleclimberchick

Jan 28, 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #19 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i never took any dance classes, but i did take gymnastics for a while. i think that both could help with climbing if you need to increase your flexability and balance.

dancesonrocks

Jan 29, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #20 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

despite my board name, I've never taken intensive dance classes, just some here and there: jazz, west coast swing, modern and social (clubbing etc). I definitely think all dance training would be an asset though.

And gymnastics, yeah that's probably the best background to have to take into climbing.

The biggest help to my climbing came from my fencing training. I've got strong flexible legs because of that, especially my hamstrings. Fencing helped arm strength a little too but not really the same muscles that we use as climbers. Finger strength on my weapon hand was probably improved as well. It's hard to tell because I was a competitve fencer before I got into climbing.

froggy

Feb 2, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #21 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a professional Ballet dancer from the age of 8 till about 16. It help climbing tremendously! The discipline and ability to tell your body what to do is invaluable!
:D
+ It really helps with the pain thing too... Shoes don't feel soooooo bad :wink:

climberterp

Feb 3, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #22 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, climbing shoes are nothing compared to pointe shoes! :P Plus, being able to stand on pointe in climbing shoes is a very valuable technique when you are not a tall climber :wink:

climbhigh2005

Feb 3, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #23 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was a professional Ballet dancer from the age of 8 till about 16. It help climbing tremendously! The discipline and ability to tell your body what to do is invaluable!
:D
+ It really helps with the pain thing too... Shoes don't feel soooooo bad :wink:

wow! professional at only 8? where at?

rvega

Feb 3, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #24 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I danced almost my whole childhood from about 3 till I was 16, then I quit. I quit dance because my teachers were horrible for my self-esteem. They encouraged us to be as skinny as possible and weighed us every week. I was 93 pounds (5.1) until I quit and trained so hard that I would pass out from malnutrition and exhaustion. I didn't get my period until I was 17 as a result. My team won National Champs three years in a row, but I don't think it was worth it at all. I still cringe when I see pictures of myself back then. I don't think this is true of all dancers but a majority of those I know have serious weight and eating disorders, drug problems, and relationship problems even after they stopped dancing. So the moral of this story...do it cause you love and do it in balance.

climbhigh2005

Feb 3, 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #25 of 49 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I danced almost my whole childhood from about 3 till I was 16, then I quit. I quit dance because my teachers were horrible for my self-esteem. They encouraged us to be as skinny as possible and weighed us every week. I was 93 pounds (5.1) until I quit and trained so hard that I would pass out from malnutrition and exhaustion. I didn't get my period until I was 17 as a result. My team won National Champs three years in a row, but I don't think it was worth it at all. I still cringe when I see pictures of myself back then. I don't think this is true of all dancers but a majority of those I know have serious weight and eating disorders, drug problems, and relationship problems even after they stopped dancing. So the moral of this story...do it cause you love and do it in balance.

I totally understand where you are coming from... Thats how ballet always was for me.. so this year I am just taking modern and jazz and am captain of dance team... I love dance, but when it gets to that point, its not fun anymore...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook