RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

big_wall_theorist

Mar 8, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #1 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

camp pitons
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone here ever use Camp pitons? Was wondering how they held up to continual use compared to BD's?

BTW - If your wondering why I'm asking...Camp pitons run about half the price of BD's on barrabes. However, f--- if I can figure out the sizing of the Camp LA's. The seem to run super long. like from 9cm - 15cm...hell the BD Long Dong is only 9cm. Any way, anyone had any experience with them...or possibly know anything about the sizing of them compared to BD's?

krustyklimber

Mar 8, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

camp pitons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't used them but I thoght I read that both companies have them made at the same place. Many years ago, when BD was Chouinard, you could find Camp pitons here in the states, they're quality was good then and probably still is now.

I was considering the Angles myself.

Jeff

apollodorus

Mar 8, 2002, 8:44 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The extra length of the Camp pins just means you have to buy a hacksaw. You'd have to do this anyway, if you climb hammered-out routes. I've got some LA that are only about 1" from the tip to the edge of the eye.

mrhardgrit

Mar 8, 2002, 11:41 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeh,

I've got a loada camp pitons - I've used them on sandstone and on El Cap. They've stood up pretty well (they maybe birr - spelling? - a little easier than BD ones) and have been great.

As for sawing them short - a definite!

passthepitonspete

Mar 9, 2002, 1:45 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Er, I'm confused.

Camp manufactures Lost Arrow pins in Italy. They are marketed in the U.S. by Black Diamond, or at least as far as I know this is the case.

Can you-all please provide some links?

big_wall_theorist

Mar 10, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would seem to make sense Pete. It would also conviently anwser my ogrinal question about how they would compare to the BD's . What threw me off was the sizing of the Camp pitons on barrabes

http://www.barrabes.com/barrabes/product.asp?trademark_id=83&pf_id=5971

However, after checking them out at MEC the
sizing of the CAMP LA's are exactly the same as the BD LA's...so it wouldn't suprise me that they would be manufactured by the same company. I still don't how barrabes has organized them though...however it doesn't really matter, since MEC will ship CAMP products to the states. Yet at the same time...MEC doesn't sell any other CAMP pitons such as the knifeblades, bugaboos, or angles...only BD's which they won't ship to the states

If you want to see what I mean about the sizing of the pins...check them out at the links below. If you can unlock the key to understanding barrabes sizing of them, you may get yourself a homebaked a cookie

http://www.barrabes.com/barrabes/trademark.asp?trademark_id=83

BTW - The sizes of the angles seem to be allright...except they don't seem to account for the fact there are 3 different 5 5/8 (14cm) angles (the #3,4,5).

[ This Message was edited by: big_wall_theorist on 2002-03-09 17:25 ]

bigwalling

Mar 10, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #7 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeh I checked out barrabes a while back and noticed that the sizes were messed. It also seemed that they had only a few sizes not all of the ones shown in the pic. I love the Mec price on the LAs.

krustyklimber

Mar 10, 2002, 1:28 AM
Post #8 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's what I said "I thought they were made at the same factory". Appearntly(sic?) Camp and BD have an agreement about selling in each others markets so thats why we don't have both here in the U.S.A. (followed by chanting, U.S.A.)

Just thought I'd muddy up the water a bit.
Jeff

big_wall_theorist

Mar 10, 2002, 6:56 PM
Post #9 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW - for all of you have checked out barrabes site and wondering what's up with those super cheap LUCKY pitons...I found out that they are the ones who manufactor METOLIUS pitons. So they are exactly the same. There KB's are only $3.50 US.

krustyklimber

Mar 11, 2002, 4:58 AM
Post #10 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of those Lucky pitons dont have any taper to 'em so they don't have alot of holding power, I find them a little suss

Jeff

glockaroo

Mar 11, 2002, 2:42 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly right, Krusty. I have yet to see a foreign KB that had the consistent, quality taper of a BD unit.

atg200

Mar 11, 2002, 5:04 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a few of the Lucky pre-sawed angles. They work ok, but I much prefer sawing off BD angles.

I have some of the CAMP angles-they are identical to my BD angles aside from a slippery paint job. The paint doesn't last long anyway, so they are fine.

camp_climbing

Aug 16, 2005, 3:05 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

The down and dirty on CAMP pitons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BD lost arrows and CAMP pitons are constructed in the same factory out of the same materials by the same craftsmen. The difference here in the states is that only BD has the patented right to sell Lost Arrows. Most other styles can be found through other manufacturers. CAMP, for instance, sells corners, angles and knifeblades in 3-4 sizes each. Details can be found at www.camp-usa.com.

skinner

Aug 18, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sort of on/off topic..

BD and CAMP, both sell the Lost Arrow, Angle, and Knife Blades that I have a selection of each and certainly can't tell them apart without looking for the stamp. I think CAMP also carries a line of soft iron pitons, including a universal soft iron, that I don't believe BD offers?
I used to like the old CAMP soft iron pitons with the abseil ring, was my piton of choice to leave behind on the way down if I had to.

Does anyone know why no one makes the short/shallow angles that SMC used to sell?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook