Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rockbabe

Dec 28, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #51 of 53 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lynn Hill...."Climbing Free" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The book was interesting. What do you people want? Ernest Hemingway? I like the fact that she "dumbed" it down for non-climbing readers. That shows how Non-egotistical she is, that she had the patience to explain things to people.

One glaring admission though, she failed to relate how she had smoked pot and was high when she failed to tie her knot.

troutboy

Dec 28, 2003, 2:20 AM
Post #52 of 53 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The book was interesting. What do you people want? Ernest Hemingway? I like the fact that she "dumbed" it down for non-climbing readers. That shows how Non-egotistical she is, that she had the patience to explain things to people.
Maybe. Or maybe she has (had) a literary agent who said "Lynn, if you want to sell more copies, we'll need to dumb down the book so everyone can understand the climbing terms."

Expect Ernest Hemingway, no. Something slightly more complex than an eighth-grade reader, well, yes.

Our society has come to accept poor writing as the norm. The mass of sports books, financial guru autobiographies, etc. written with/by ghost writers or with semi-famous authors has resulted in acceptance of poorly written books, because they tell a nice story. These are, essentially, books written by people who have no ability to write; however, that's not all their fault. I would not expect a non-writer to be able to pen a work comparable to Tolstoy (I would expect something better than eighth-grade level writing). I do expect a publishing company to have editors who can do their job and make the book at least presentable. That's what they are paid to do. Lynn Hill not writing well is not nearly so annoying as a professional editor not editing well.

Finally, perhaps Lynn is a better writer than this book indicates. It's quite possible the "dumbing down" process by the editor and/or publisher made her appear less capable. She did have Greg Child as a co-author and Greg is a better writer than this book indicates. Makes me think it was not an author problem as much as an editor problem.

I really liked the photos :wink: Her climbing accomplishments are second to none and inspiring.

scubaboy26

Dec 28, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #53 of 53 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ther were some grammar probs, but that didn't bother me at all, I was too busy enjoying it to care that much. A definate for a climbers library

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook