First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

neeshman

Jan 1, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #1 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Why is there so many cranky climbers???
Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually log onto this site about 2 times a day looking for new events, news, and new ideas/concepts as well as old but true information. There aree so many great people on this site, but it seems latley that there are just as many cranky elitest people who lay into newbies that come inbo this site.

I just read 3 newer posts that are filled with flaming and people getting mad over completley stupid stuff (LOL, I guess I am being a little hypocritical :) :) :) ). Now I know that this the INTERNET but c`mon, we are also climbers. Would you go out to the local crag and start screaming "YOU F`ing IDIOT!!! THATS NOT HOW YOU DO THAT! STUPID NEWBIE, ALL YOUR IDEAS ARE WORTHLESS AND I WOULD NEVER CLIMB WITH YOU! YOUR A DANGER TO THE WHOLE CLIMBING COMMUNITY AND YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!" (I know it's a little much, but is it?)???

I just hate to see some of you people acting like that. A recent post by someone with only 13 posts asked what level everyone climbed at and someone came back and wrote this:

In reply to:
What level do you climb at? What do you think you're going to be able to determine from the replies you get? Based on the way you framed the question, do you expect there will be any way you can come off in future replies to this thread as anything less than a myopic, self-absorbed, arrogant little twit? I doubt it, but I'd suggest you give it a shot.

There are so many people out there that think they are the shizzit and they need to find some way to get the attention on them, so they give someone else flak. If you dont like the post then DON'T REPLY! It's simple, there is no reason to skewer someone alive just cause they are curious about something. You don't always know why someone is asking a question. What if he was doing something worthwhile with the information he might have recieved?

I guess I am just ranting off, but I think it would do everyone alot better if some of you would stop being so antagonistic and defensive. Thanks!

from_the_gym

Jan 1, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #2 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why is there so many cranky climbers??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it is really simple. Maybe it goes back to the reason your mom told you the bullies picked on little kids. "Because it makes them feel better." Or maybe you are right with the assumption that people just want to be in the spotlight. If everyone is nice, then we get great conversations and posts. But there will always be one person who will post something cruel, because it will give him/her their 5 minutes of fame. And after that point, the original post is lost in a world of flaming, cruel comments, and people who are "talking out of their ass."

The nice people are still there, maybe just not now, maybe just not in that paticular post at all. But make no mistake, they are there. There just happen to be more "elitists" posting right now.

dsafanda

Jan 1, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #3 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Perhaps we're all just fed up with atrocious grammar.

addiroids

Jan 1, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #4 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While some people are just mean spirited, it is mostly an issue of hearing the same crap so many times that you just get jaded. I for one, love talking to people about how to become safer, or more efficient at climbing, but don't like getting crap because I run out an easy part of a climb, or simul a bit, or give a hip belay when my follower is finishing the final 5.2 pitch on a long route and I am sitting behind a boulder with my feet higher than my hips.

Sometimes it just gets old answering the same questions. I am not an elitist (okay maybe in the "60' of choss bolt clipping" -vs- "climbing" discussion) and love taking out my friends and showing them how to build anchors better or even getting someone who has just begun climbing more into it and taking them up really big stuff so they can have goals to shoot for.

And also realize that most people on here talk a lot of crap sometimes, but when you get to know them in person, they are cool as hell and just fire off their mouth, because there is nothing better to do for that 10 minutes of the day.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

moabbeth

Jan 1, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #5 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Perhaps we're all just fed up with atrocious grammar.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dammit, you beat me to it!!!

diesel___smoke

Jan 1, 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #6 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am not an elitist (okay maybe in the "60' of choss bolt clipping" -vs- "climbing" discussion) and love taking out my friends and showing them how to build anchors better or even getting someone who has just begun climbing more into it and taking them up really big stuff so they can have goals to shoot for.

Paul is one of the nicest people I know, I truely look up to him and strive to be more like him. He has given me more advice than anyone else and gone that extra mile to explain things and inspire. Best of wishes, Paul.

Jp

curt

Jan 1, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #7 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, you can't climb if you don't crank--duh. Hahahahahaha.

Curt

crimpjunk

Jan 1, 2004, 2:23 AM
Post #8 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a bunch of cranky ass mother f*&#@!#ers on this site. On the first thread I posted some guy was such a dick it scared me off from posting things for a while. Maybe someone can help me understand this behavior without being an ass.

smellyhippie

Jan 1, 2004, 2:23 AM
Post #9 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Undersexed. :D :oops: :D

crimpjunk

Jan 1, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #10 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good call man

Partner coldclimb

Jan 1, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #11 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a cyber-oriented reaction that is caused by high frequency bursts of energy from radiation emitting devices such as liquid crystal displays or cathode ray tubes. No one is certain exactly why, but somehow, when this energy is aligned correctly to display, in a compiled format, the ones and zeros transmitted from around the globe over an incredibly vast computer network, it provides the catalyst needed for a reaction that can, under some circumstances, revert the intelligence of an average human being back to the equivalent of his simian ancestry. This phenomenon, when multiplied on a global scale, creates the situation you were describing in your post. There is no remedy, although it is noted that in the majority of cases, the problem goes away with age.

Hope this helps. ;)

brianthew

Jan 1, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #12 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This "Internet" thing acts as a shield.

If these threads were occurring face-to-face there would be many a bloody nose.

climbsomething

Jan 1, 2004, 3:40 AM
Post #13 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is no remedy, although it is noted that in the majority of cases, the problem goes away with age.
Then explain Jay and Curt. heheheh.

*ducks from Curt's swinging walker*

climbsomething

Jan 1, 2004, 3:51 AM
Post #14 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This "Internet" thing acts as a shield.

If these threads were occurring face-to-face there would be many a bloody nose.
well, I assure you jt512 (online) and Jay Tanzman (in person) do not vary any. And Jay's nose is very much intact. ;) For some reason, people just don't mess with the ol' coot.

ken

Jan 1, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #15 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One reason was brought out by Jack Kerouac:

:D "There are more horses a@$'s in the world than there are horses" :D

dxmetal

Jan 1, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #16 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The funny thing is when you check on the profile of these so called "Mountain dew elite-ists" you will see either a very dorky 13 year old loner who get picked on in school or these "Dorky lonley old man that mummy and daddy why didnt you hug me when i am little" type of losers.

So, we all should give em a chance for, without the Internet they might need to see a shrink or get put in a mental home.

Oh, for me i just read those RUDE posters and laugh inside my heart and then just move on.

Life's too short to get caught up with these real life losers !! :P

dxmetal

Jan 1, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #17 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh and not to mention if you actually can still managed to read their profile (after seeing their self potrait), some of them are actually very welcoming and show great hospitality ...

"if you are around the ________ area , i am most be happy to show you ... bla bla bla ....."

HILARIOUS !!! Check out the following poster below

Example: (reference http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=573219&highlight=#573219)

If you don't like this "mountain dew" sport as you call it than why don't you stop? If you really think climbing is a "mountain dew extreme" kind of thing than it's obvious to me that you have no clue!!
And guess what else! If you don't like the people in colorado- then stay the hell out!!

I'm polite to touron's as long as they are polite and respectful. If not screw em I live here and I don't have to put up with some texan thinking they own the place 2 weeks a year...

Here's one more proven point- If you don't like us- F**K YOU stay out of Colorado.
And tell all your "mountain dew" sky surfing, bungee jumping, underwater upside down breath holding friends the same....

Kiss's

josh "

AND NOW JOSH's PROFILE

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27143

atg200

Jan 1, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #18 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Paul is one of the nicest people I know, I truely look up to him and strive to be more like him. He has given me more advice than anyone else and gone that extra mile to explain things and inspire. Best of wishes, Paul.

whoa, wait a minute, we can't possibly know the same addiroids. hahaha

micahmcguire

Jan 1, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #19 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that anyone green enough to actually use the term "nwebie" is going to hell. Moreover, anyone who thinks they are clever or cute and spells it "NooB" or anything resemblant will be tortured for all eternity in the lake of fire and sulfer. Grow up you internet-savy fags, you're embarassing to the rest of us. As for elitist attitudes, they stem from inferiority complexes and the like. The hands down without a doubt best climbers I have ever known have all been very nice, helpful, and supportive (with the "King Nice" crown going to Steve House who helped a friend of mine set up a top rope on some ice in Montana. Really cool guy). No one who is full of piss is really THAT good, they just think they are.

dc

Jan 1, 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #20 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the first thread I posted some guy was such a dick it scared me off from posting things for a while.
yeah that happened to me too..

antigrav

Jan 1, 2004, 1:18 PM
Post #21 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

One of the major hemispheres are off season, at this time...
:(

ryanhurl

Jan 1, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #22 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for asking this question, I couldn't agree more...

I've been checking out the site for a long time, but just became a member of recent. I've only had a few posts because I don't want to entice tons of flaming if I ask a "stupid question".

I think everyone needs to relax. The whole point of this site is to trade information about climbing. Some of these issues do cross into social issues, which I find the responses interesting, but they are opinions. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion which can be discussed, but no one should be attacked and shunned for it.

Some people are here to get information and NEED quality responses for their safety and enjoyment of climbing. If you think someone's post is stupid and for "noobies" and that you are above answering it in a positive way, then don't post.

rokjunky

Jan 1, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #23 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

STICKS AND STONES........ETC.
IT'S REALLY NOTHING PERSONAL, YA KNOW.

gregtrammell

Jan 1, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #24 of 49 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just read 3 newer posts that are filled with flaming and people getting mad over completley stupid stuff (LOL, I guess I am being a little hypocritical ). Now I know that this the INTERNET but c`mon, we are also climbers. Would you go out to the local crag and start screaming "YOU F`ing IDIOT!!! THATS NOT HOW YOU DO THAT! STUPID NEWBIE, ALL YOUR IDEAS ARE WORTHLESS AND I WOULD NEVER CLIMB WITH YOU! YOUR A DANGER TO THE WHOLE CLIMBING COMMUNITY AND YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!" (I know it's a little much, but is it?)???

The sad thing is that there are climbers out there that would respond to climbers out at the crag in this way. Rather than trying to be helpful, they try to make the newbie look like a moron, and in turn they make themself look like a complete ass. But they don't care as long as they get there attention.
I found its just as easy to say, that's suppose to be done like this or it's easier and safer to do it like this.
Cause everyone was a beginner at some point. It doesn't matter how good you are.
Many people wouldn't be climbing if there was a jackass like that on their first trip to the crag.

bvb

Jan 1, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #25 of 49 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that anyone green enough to actually use the term "nwebie" is going to hell

stfu, noob.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook