RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

coclimber26

Jan 3, 2004, 7:09 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

New Colorado Springs guide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just started a new project of making a bouldering/climbing guide for the springs area..I started the page on new years and will slowly add information over time..the site is www.springsclimbingguide.com

pdoidy

Jan 3, 2004, 2:51 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Colorado Springs guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats a great plan, I might even like to help you with your project if you want it. But your link goes nowhere at the moment. PM me if you are interested.

atg200

Jan 3, 2004, 3:24 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ah. just like last year. a new guidebook to an area that already has a number of guidebooks, and is well covered on climbingboulder.com

you might want to focus on improving climbingboulder.com rather than starting a new project that will likely see little if any attention.

coclimber26

Jan 3, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's just something i'd like to do as a hobby in spare time. I guess it's more aimed as a free printable guide mostly for non locals. I know areas in Cheyenne Canyon aren't covered well so I would like to hit those areas thoroughly. The link should work now but let me know if it doesn't.

atg200

Jan 3, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so what would differentiate it from the cheyenne canyon section on climbingboulder? just doesn't sound like it would be worth the considerable effort to do a decent job of it.

pdoidy

Jan 3, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's just something i'd like to do as a hobby in spare time.

Maybe that's why.

coclimber26

Jan 4, 2004, 8:36 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your probably right ATG, it probably is more of an undertaking than I think. Oh well maybe someone will get some use out of it. I took a look at climbingboulder and it wasn't very complete to me..maybe I just like more information on an area than most...anyway I'll put it out there for people to use...

rck_climber

Jan 4, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I really wish there had been a guide that included Cheyenne Canyon. There's some great climbing there, but beta is obscure and does not make routes easy to find (like on climbingboulder.com). Silver Cascade Slab is well covered in a number of guides, but places like the Amphitheter are provide good climbing, but are difficult to locate, and once found, locating specific routes is even more difficult.

Good luck, I think it's a worthy undertaking indeed. If possible, include more of the "hidden" locations like up on Pikes Peak and the few routes up Old Stage Road.

Mick

coclimber26

Jan 4, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have alot of information on the bottomless pit area on pikes but am having trouble finding info on the crags area. I would like to make a detailed guide to ute pass but I know that area is a little touchy with access and keeping it a little low key. I have most of the climbs on the pinnacle and ampitheater. My work schedule sucks so I'll be gone alot this year but it will give me something to do when I'm around.

rockprodigy

Jan 7, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so what would differentiate it from the cheyenne canyon section on climbingboulder? just doesn't sound like it would be worth the considerable effort to do a decent job of it.

Why don't you just get off his nuts?

The route info on www.Climbing_your_name_here_.com sucks. Written descriptions with no maps, no topos and no photos...that's not a guide, it's hearsay.

I think this is a great idea, and I look forward to using it.

pdoidy

Jan 7, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here Here,

Its incredible to me how as soon as someone proposes an idea, a line will form to tell him/her why its stupid. I would like to see meet up functions built in. You would be suprised how hard it actually is to simply meet new people in this town. I heard he is out of town for about a month, but Im looking forward to helping in any way I can.

bigdan

Jan 11, 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbingboulder.com is helpful, but cumbersome. Ain't nothing wrong with a hobby!

My site, http://www.coloradospringsclimbing.com has already been around for a few years, with guides to most of the bouldering in the Springs, though certainly not all. There's lots of illegal bouldering in the region (Broadmoor Ski Boulders, the North End, etc), so make sure you know one way or the other.

I've hesitated to make a detailed guide to Ute Pass, and would advise against it, at the request of some individuals in the know on access issues there. My guide gives directions to main areas, at least the kosher ones, which will get anybody started, but that's as far as I felt comfortable going with it. Have fun, though, beta is always appreciated by somebody.

I like your Garden beta page, it's pretty well-done.

If you need information on anything I'd be happy to help, but I would appreciate if you'd avoid simply lifting beta from my site. Shoot me an email, if you'd like, at coloradospringsclimbing@hotmail.com, and let me know where you need help. Maybe we can work together or something.

coclimber26

Jan 21, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds good dan..i won't be back until mid feb. or so but am looking forward to plugging away on the guide. so far your website has the only beta on ute valley park on it...I would like to put the main problems but really the only info on problems I've seen is on your web site. I'll give you an email when I get back into town..

mother_sheep

Jan 21, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's a great idea. I'd go to whiningboulder.com before here for beta and if there was a site out there more specialized for the area I'm visiting, I might just visit that first. Go for it!

Edited for tact, which I seem to be lacking these days.

atg200

Jan 22, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was being a jerk - i apologize. good luck on your project.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook