RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cuber

Jan 3, 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

how to develop muscles?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know this might be a dumb question but how do i develop my body for climbing. tried climbing a couple of times at the wall ,but my forearms ache a lot .i cant hold on a long time .any suggestions?

marks

Jan 3, 2004, 1:02 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Re: how to develop muscles? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just keep climbing,its much more technique than strength.the better you get at climbing .the better at staying on longer you will get.buiding stamina is done best by climbing indoor routes again and again.
the muscles but more important your fingers/tendons will get stronger in time.

richeyks

Jan 3, 2004, 1:41 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and one thing i've learned since i've only been climbing about 3 weeks (and i've been told this).... if your forearms are sore give them a break, if you don't you can end up hurting yourself. if you want a good workout for your forearms though, i've learned that bouldering is just about perfect for me.

overlord

Jan 3, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how to develop muscles...

strenght: bouldering (i dont recomend hang and campus board to you jet)

power endurance: 15-30 moves routes (consistant difficulty)

endurance: long easy routes

and dont forget to work on your technique.

upstateclimber

Jan 3, 2004, 3:17 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget steroids and going to the gym. Those usually work but i don't recommend the steroids.

scubasnyder

Jan 3, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulder and get a hang board

wildduck

Jan 3, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just keep climbing !

When i started climbing, my muscles ached a lot too, It's just a matter of time before your muscles start to get used to the regular abuse. everytime i complain that my muscles hurt to my friends, they'll say "good ! they're growing"

So, i'm telling ya, if it hurts, GOOD.... they're growing ! Keep on climbing...

but when it hurts too much.. rest... take at least 2 days to recover before u climb again. Or you'll hurt yourself.

jds100

Jan 3, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beware of almost all the advice you'll find here. You could check the Profiles of the users who are giving the advice, and you'll see that very few are authoritative. The best thing you could do would be a combination of asking climbers that you observe are strong and successful, along with reading a few books, such as Eric Horst's books about training for climbing. General strength training provides a good foundation for climbing-specific work that will occur in the gym and on the rock. Unless you're climbing full-time (trust-fund baby?), you're more likely to risk injury if you try to increase the difficulty level of your climbing and bouldering without strengthening your body (particularly the big muscle groups) in general, either first or at the same time. Strength imbalance will, without question, lead to injuries and increased recovery time. I've seen numerous people who get excited about climbing, and devote a significant amount of time and effort to it, without a good overall program, who get hurt and really never recover, and end up just quitting after a relatively short time.

Technique is important, but without strength, you'll never get to the grades where technique makes the biggest difference.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=14437&forum=36
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=14452&forum=16
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=5009&forum=17
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=5270&forum=36
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3799&forum=36
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2765&forum=36
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3131&forum=36
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3039&forum=36
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3074&forum=24
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3446&forum=36

xanx

Jan 3, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah we should lock this... all of those links answer the question i all its permutations.

desertgranite

Jan 3, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never surrender, no pain no gain! Now if you feel an injury coming on, rest up those digits and make sure your getting enough lean protein in your diet. Lift weights or do something other than climbing for cross training to avoid overuse of key muscle groups. Your forarms/fingers will always end up hurting if your pushing your limits, climbing can be a very painful sport.

jpearl

Jan 3, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First Thing:
Learn to take care of your forearms. They take a beating during climbing and get pumped quickly. Stretch them before you climb, and shake them out regularly during climbing.

Second Thing:
Traverse. If you have access to a gym, spend lots of time traversing around the gym using big juggy holds. These force you to use all of the muscles in your arms and legs. You might see the boulderers using tiny crimpy holds, but that is more an issue of technique, not strength. Make your moves slow, smooth, and clean rather than quick and choppy. Building good technique aids building muscles. (if you don't have access to a gym, try finding a boulder that will allow you to do this).

Third Thing.
Crossover moves. As you traverse, try doing each succesive move with a crossover move (arms and legs) rather than matching hands and feet on each move. This forces your arms and legs to reach, grab, and pull (where a lot of strength and power develops), rather than just grab and hang. It builds strength through an expanded range of motions and flexibility at the same time.

And Finally.
Climb. sounds easy enough, but the lesson is this: The more you climb, the more you get to understand the athletic demands of climbing on your body and how to fine tune it in regards to training for muscular development, flexability, and technique. Don't expect to become Schwartzeneger-like, but do expect to see a sharper, more defined cut to your climbing body.

Good Luck

marks

Jan 4, 2004, 9:57 AM
Post #12 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jds100"]Beware of almost all the advice you'll find here. You could check the Profiles of the users who are giving the advice, and you'll see that very few are authoritive.

jds100
i might not be a proffesor of climbing,but i have climbed through most grades to know what works and what does not.

back to original.
avoid hang boards or campus boards,you finger tendons take time to strengthen,wait till you are climbing upper 11's or 12's,as then you will be strong enough to take the strain of hanging off finger tips.

meataxe

Jan 4, 2004, 9:31 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Third Thing.
Crossover moves. As you traverse, try doing each succesive move with a crossover move (arms and legs) rather than matching hands and feet on each move. This forces your arms and legs to reach, grab, and pull (where a lot of strength and power develops), rather than just grab and hang. It builds strength through an expanded range of motions and flexibility at the same time.

That's a good tip that I haven't come across yet. Thanks! :D

invicta

Jan 5, 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your climbing hard frequently already, i suggest adding more protien to your diet, be it in the form of eating 2-3 cans of tuna a day or by way of protien shake or whey protien suplements...A few of my cycling friends have done this on top of regular training for added muscle gain.

kimch

Jan 5, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Even though i may be a beginner, I learned CLIMBING CONSTANTLY is the best thing to do for climbing better and more efficiently. :D and yeah i am a beginner even tho this seems so WISE! :shock:

thun

Jan 6, 2004, 5:25 AM
Post #16 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jds100 and jpearl give solid advice. i only have this to ad: don't forget your diet. i'm no expert by any means, so take all this with a grain of salt. but if you want to build muscles, you need to eat what muscles are made out of: protein. of course, lean protein is preferred (fish, chicken), and a well rounded diet certinaly helps across the board. i guess we could sit here and debate diets for eons (and as stated above, i don't have the massive climbing strength to back this up), so be sure and do some more research than what i'm spraying here. just remember: the engine only runs as well as the fuel that goes in it.

daggerx

Jan 6, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb alot and take a day between climbing. you could also lift and do cardio.

DaggerX

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook