RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

ikellen

Jan 7, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Im Definitly Gonna Buy a Pad......
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was bouldering today on some higher problems outdoors, higher than I usually try. When I am bouldering on my own, I do not use a crashpad, because I do not own one and I do not have the cash to buy one. Anyways, today I got up on some higher problems, about 1.5-2 times my height (I'm 5'7"). I have never had problems with heights while climbing, but thats usually because I'm on a rope. Today, I found myself getting more and more nervous, as most of these higher problems weren't just walks in the park. I wouldn't have problems on easy routes, but when I got on maybe a 5.8+, I would start worrying about a fall. At one point, I was about to top out on a problem, but I needed one more hand hold, I found a little nub, but as I stretched to reach it, my foot slid a little on the little edge I was on. I hugged the top of the rock to get up, but if I had fallen from there, it was probably 7-8' to the ground. Long story short, a crash pad is the best investment a boulderer will make. I didn't fall, but bailing from 5' up to just the piece of carpet I was carrying sure gets painful on your feet.

Sorry for the long story folks, but I would reccomend all of you think about looking into a crashpad. Im taking a trip to Josh this spring, and a pad is my first purchase towards the trip.

Happy Bouldering :)

thun

Jan 7, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Re: Im Definitly Gonna Buy a Pad...... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i never go out without one (unless i've got my trusty rope and the quickdraw kids to tag along)

Partner coldclimb

Jan 7, 2004, 6:09 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I kinda want to get one, just to see what all the hype is about. ;)

darelparker

Jan 7, 2004, 7:53 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent the better part of New Year's day bouldering at Bull Creek in Austin. None of the problems I was working on were more than maybe 18 feet up, and the landing was completely flat, so I wasn't too worried that I didn't have a crash pad. Nevertheless, I was relieved when a couple of guys showed up with a large crash pad, and were kind enough to offer a catch.

Not surprisingly, I spent the following morning popping Ibuprofen with my lower back laid out on a heating pad. My feet were fine, but my spine felt like it had been squeezed in a giant nutcracker. I am never bouldering that far up without a pad again.

Big thanks to Nate, Blaine, and Sam for giving me a hand.

thun

Jan 7, 2004, 2:54 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I spent the better part of New Year's day bouldering at Bull Creek in Austin. None of the problems I was working on were more than maybe 18 feet up, and the landing was completely flat, so I wasn't too worried that I didn't have a crash pad. Nevertheless, I was relieved when a couple of guys showed up with a large crash pad, and were kind enough to offer a catch.

Not surprisingly, I spent the following morning popping Ibuprofen with my lower back laid out on a heating pad. My feet were fine, but my spine felt like it had been squeezed in a giant nutcracker. I am never bouldering that far up without a pad again.

No kidding. That pea gravel can be decieving out there. I've hurt my ankle out there a couple times even with it. :roll:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook