Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Re: Hawks Nest ~ 5.7 Joshua Tree
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

janr

Jan 7, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hawks Nest ~ 5.7 Joshua Tree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hiked back into Oz and climbed Hawk's Nest with my girlfriend in early December a few years ago. It sure wasn't a 30 minute approach for us. As you might suspect, the Vogel guide leaves out the details of the terrain. The 5.8 next to it appeared to be much more difficult than that and Hawk's Nest was all we ended up doing. A long walk for a 5.7 that, in my opinion, is only worth a couple of stars.

That said, it was a fun day and an interesting place to explore. I'm hoping to go back a bit further into the Oz area on my next visit. Lesbian Lust and the "nearby" climbs look interesting.

But if you hate hiking and want to maximize your climbing time, go somewhere else.

drkodos

Jan 7, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Hawks Nest ~ 5.7 Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking for info on a climb a buddy wants us to do this weekend called Hawks Nest. 5.7 ***

+ Is it a good choice this time of year?
+ Is the approach obvious, or will 30 minutes turn into a half-day?
+ Is it worthwhile, or is he marching into the wild for a slog?

Thanks.

janr

Jan 7, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hawks Nest ~ 5.7 Joshua Tree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hiked back into Oz and climbed Hawk's Nest with my girlfriend in early December a few years ago. It sure wasn't a 30 minute approach for us. As you might suspect, the Vogel guide leaves out the details of the terrain. The 5.8 next to it appeared to be much more difficult than that and Hawk's Nest was all we ended up doing. A long walk for a 5.7 that, in my opinion, is only worth a couple of stars.

That said, it was a fun day and an interesting place to explore. I'm hoping to go back a bit further into the Oz area on my next visit. Lesbian Lust and the "nearby" climbs look interesting.

But if you hate hiking and want to maximize your climbing time, go somewhere else.

pedroparramo

Jan 7, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hawks Nest ~ 5.7 Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're up in that area there are a bunch of .11ish climbs if I recall correctly, otherwise Hawk's Nest alone isn't really worth the slog. Lesbian Lust is an insanely cool-looking sharp arete sport climb up the wash a 1/2 mile or so (4-5 draws). I'd leave my trad gear, climb that instead and look at it like a rest/casual hike day. Once saw 8(!) bighorn at once in the area. groovy factoid: the "hawk's nest" is a spherical cavity near the top of the climb with a narrow opening. When I saw it last it contained a bee's nest! luckily the occupants were nowhere to be seen...

murf

Jan 8, 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looking for info on a climb a buddy wants us to do this weekend called Hawks Nest. 5.7 ***

Thanks.

-Hmm, faces NE and is sorta high up, may be cold.
- If you've never been there, may be some issues finding it. 30 minutes is reasonable for fit folks.
- I wouldn't run in there just for that route, especially if I wasn't local to the area.

Cheers,
Murf

crotch

Jan 8, 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't remember it being particularly spectacular for the grade. The climbing is forgetable and the rock is exceptionally grainy, much like the stuff around Jumbo. Still if you've never been out that way and want to kill a day....

murf

Jan 12, 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
-Hmm, faces NE and is sorta high up, may be cold.
- If you've never been there, may be some issues finding it. 30 minutes is reasonable for fit folks.
- I wouldn't run in there just for that route, especially if I wasn't local to the area.
Walked past it this weekend, early sun at base, protected from wind. 30 minutes about right for approach.
Murf

thegreytradster

Jan 12, 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best time of year to hit the Hollywood- Oz area is Spring flower season. Most of the climbs are sort of NE facing and shaded.

The poppy fields can be impressive and the girls enjoy the walk :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook