RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner cracklover

Jan 8, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

When the site goes down
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When the site goes down, it would be nice (not to mention professional) to post a note at this URL. I recognize that this is all run on an ad-hoc and a volunteer basis, so I'm not pointing any fingers or casting aspersions... but it ain't pretty.

I've raised this point the last three or four times the site has gone down. Talking to a brick wall is not much fun. If no-one gives a $hit, that's fine - just tell me so and I'll save my breath (tendons).

GO

crushingfinger

Jan 8, 2004, 9:43 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Re: When the site goes down [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would be more than happy to help but I'm fairly dumb when it comes to this stuff. where exactly do I leave the note. URL?

sticky_fingers

Jan 8, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say have a "this site temporarily down" page all ready to go so that if work needs to be done on this site, you just replace the main page with that while you work on the nuts and bolts.

Can it be that simple?

hangdoggypound

Jan 8, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When the site goes down, it would be nice (not to mention professional) to post a note at this URL. I recognize that this is all run on an ad-hoc and a volunteer basis, so I'm not pointing any fingers or casting aspersions... but it ain't pretty.

I've raised this point the last three or four times the site has gone down. Talking to a brick wall is not much fun. If no-one gives a $hit, that's fine - just tell me so and I'll save my breath (tendons).

GO
Not to be a total smart ass......but if a given website is down, then you can't really post cute notes at the URL saying so. That's what the Code 404 'page' is for. And if the site is just not loading, then I'm not certain how anyone could cause a note to give you notice....if the site ain't "working" then it ain't working. What if it's a hosting problem? How do you "post a note?"

sticky_fingers

Jan 8, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there needs to be a definition of "unreachable site". If, on the one hand, the owner of the site took it down to do work on it, a "we're busy" page should be put up. On the other hand, if the site is unreachable due to some thing beyond the control of the owner, hangdoggypound is right; a "we're busy" type page isn't going to work.

I guess the question then is, why does this page go down? for maintenance or some other reason?

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 8, 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed, but sometimes the site in "unreachable", so I doubt this text would show at that time. But then I am a major computer gumbie, but I have figured out how to operate my automatic cup holder... The one marked "CD" near the top of my computer. Stands for "cup deck" right ??? My coffee mug fits perfectly on it.

okc_discgolfer

Jan 8, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well...i checked when the site was down.....the name servers were up....as well as the box....(pinged the ip)
without being informed as to the exact nature of the problem....
i'd assume that there was a backend prob....
i run a hosting company in my spare time and it is not always as simple as one would like to think to resolve an issue
plz dont get mad at the webmaster for they do a great job as well as endless hours of volenteer work
if the stability of the site is an issue, i'd be willing to help to find a dedicated box for rc.com to relocate to
if interested in this plz send me a PM and we can take it from there
and any others looking for web hosting or any other ISP related need please feal free to contact me as well
thank you, okcdiscgolfer

hangdoggypound

Jan 8, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess the question then is, why does this page go down? for maintenance or some other reason?
I'm sure it's different nearly every time. All though, I really don't know what good a nice message will do unless it is during some site maintenance; aren't we all going to be checking back every 3 minutes anyway? :lol: Sometimes servers have to re-boot, sometimes there strange stuff is happening out there in cyber-land. Whether there is an rc.com note or not, you'll know if the site is not working temporarily. And we will still slam our mouse and say, "Damn!" what ever it is that tells us the site is down.

In reply to:
The one marked "CD" near the top of my computer. Stands for "cup deck" right ??? My coffee mug fits perfectly on it.
Dude, you should get the one that says, "Burner." You can make pancakes and keep your coffee warm.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 8, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We can always use more coders, or anyone who can help, as we all volunteer, users and Staff, to make the site what it is.

If you feel you can help, please send a PM to Tim (tim) or Eric (eric).

If you are skilled, and can devote large amounts of time to coding, we may be able to compensate you for it.

eric

Jan 8, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim can provide more hairy details, but in a nutshell:
The site was down from about 12:48am to early this morning because the webserver didn't restart because of a configuration error. It coincided with a planned network outage at our colocation center, although that was not likely an issue.

The down time would have been significantly less IF we were not staffed by volunteers who need to sleep. And I have to say, given the way Tim sounded when I called him this morning, some of us are not getting much.

It is sometimes possible to put up a notice saying the website is down, and now that we finally have two servers, this may happen. But that won't cover all the cases.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook