RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

crimperqueen

Jan 10, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Mountianeering boots that fit?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm an avid ice climber and do some Mountaineering. I currently have a pair of Koflach Vertical Ice boots. They are great...but don't quite fit properly as they are made on a mens last. I climb in them, and my heel slips as they are a bit wide...but what do you do right??

Do any of you know of WOMENS specific mountaineering boots that are warm and functional? I'm willing to try leather or plastic.

Thanks!!!

spider_woman

Jan 12, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mountianeering boots that fit? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a pair of Koflach Degres, 4.5 and they fit perfect. I have a tiny foot, wearing a narrow size 5 1/2 women's in american sizes. They are excellent, and they are plastics. Good luck!

moabbeth

Jan 13, 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While they're not exactly women specific, I have a pair of the La Sportiva Nepal Extreme's. Kinda pricey but so warm, dry and most of all COMFORTABLE. And they'll last forever so it was a good one time investment that will yield me years of comfy mountaineering and ice climbing to come.

strongerthanyesterday

Jan 13, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try on different boots- some brands are narrower, wider, etc than others. Don't know much about koflach but sportiva, vasque, and asolos are a bit narrower than most. montrail's moraine is women specific not sure if the women's model is crampon compatible. Merrell makes a leather mountaineering boot and I think they might have one specifically for women though it might be a bit wide if you have a narrower foot since merrell shoes are not as narrow as some other brands. check manufacturer's websites or try a search on google... I'm sure you'll find something. also check out mountainwoman.com or other women specific climbing sites... :) good luck and have fun out there!

fern

Jan 13, 2004, 6:33 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get Thermofit or Intuition liners custom fit to your feet. Warmer, lighter, cheaper than whole new boots if you already have plastic shells.

strongerthanyesterday

Jan 13, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #6 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ahh don't forget the superfeet. those rock. at least for me...

mountainstyle

Jan 14, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will second the Nepal Extremes. They are really versatile, for both mountaineering and ice climbing. I live in the Cascades where I do a lot of glacier travel and a lot of approach time for many climbs. They fit my narrow foot well and always keep me warm and dry. I have climbed in Koflach plastics, but I prefer leather. Good luck!

olive

Jan 16, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have narrow feet and my sportivas fit my feet well. Try on different things and see what works for you.

changling

Jan 20, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look into La Sportiva Lhotse. They have a women's model of that boot. I was originally going to buy the Nepal Extremes, but after I tried on the women's Lhotse, I was amazed by the fit. They are extremely comfortable, I get no heal lift, and they were designed to be warmer than the Nepal Extreme. They were made on a woman's last, so they should offer a great fit.

crimperqueen

Jan 23, 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My ex BF has the L'otse and his toes got cold in our NewBrunswick winter...often ice climbing in -20 F or colder...

I have no place to try these boots on without driving for 6 hours or more. though, when I have a chance, I will do it!!

Thanks!!

deleted
Deleted

Jan 23, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crimperqueen --

alas, your problems are not unique. sadly, they are par for the course for climbing women in a climbing man's (gear) world. the good news is some of the manufacturers are finally, slowly, catching on. the two main drawbacks to having a woman's feet are that your arches are located in a different spot than mine, and your feet, in general, tends to be more narrow that my cloddish hooves.

fortunately, there's a lot of wiggle room (so to speak) in plastic boot shells. in many instances one shell covers the rough range of 2-2.5 sizes, while the liner serves as the fine adjustment. that being the case, i might suggest taking your boots to a reputable boot-fitter and having some custom adjustments made. also, to a greater extent than you might think possible, leather boots can be custom retrofitted with good results.

most of the time all it takes is some shimming in the heel area and some custom arch supports, and your feet are feeling like a million bucks.

and, about the 6-hour drive to test them out ... don't fret. if you're checking the fit for you vertical ice adventures, simply attach your crampons and find something good and sturdy -- say, the edge of some stairs -- over which to place your front-points. you should be able to determine whether or not you're getting heel rise in that manner.

good luck!

climbingurlie

Jan 24, 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not entirely sure if they'll have what you are looking for, but try Cabellas. They have a womens section for all us outdoors-y types. Hope that can help :)

changling

Jan 24, 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My ex BF has the L'otse and his toes got cold in our NewBrunswick winter...often ice climbing in -20 F or colder...

The fact that they are leather boots makes them colder than the plastics ones. As far as I know, comparing to the Nepal Extremes, the Lhotse are insulated all around, including the sole, where as the Nepals do not have insultated soles. Although, since I got the Lhoste, I haven't been out on days as cold as you mention, but in the past with other plastic boots, on very cold days, I would just put in a pair on chemical heat pads and they kept my toes good and toasty all day long.

Or you can do as mtngeo suggested, get a pair of plastic boots and get custom moldable liners.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook