Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

winter

Jan 14, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #1 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Deodorant
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have problems with this? I can't use regular drug store deodorant because it makes my arm pits very itchy. So I started using Tom's of Maine nartural stuff and it doesn't itch but it doesn't work that well either. So then I started using Lush and it works better but is a little more harsh.
Any suggestions??

sirtoots

Jan 14, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #2 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Re: Deodorant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a new one on me. Have you tried Dove perhaps?

climbhigh2005

Jan 15, 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #3 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi I'm Melissa.. and I have a sweating problem.. lol... anyway I have to use soft and dry although its anti deperspant... and I still sweat!! my arm pits always sweat no matter what! does anyone else have that prob? and if I use something different my sweat smells like BO... if I use Soft and Dry it doest smell at all!

wonderwoman

Jan 15, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #4 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The more I learn about all the cancer causing chemicals and developmental toxins they put in cosmetics that are marketed to women of child bearing age, the more natural I want to become! Check out the article below about chemicals from deodorants found in breast tumors. Also, for a good report on chemicals in beauty products (and actions that you can take to protect yourself and demand product labelling) check out: http://www.nottoopretty.org/

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994555

The World's No.1 Science & Technology News Service
Cosmetic chemicals found in breast tumours

12:24 12 January 04

NewScientist.com news service

Preservative chemicals found in samples of breast tumours probably came from underarm deodorants, UK scientists have claimed.

Their analysis of 20 breast tumours found high concentrations of para-hydroxybenzoic acids (parabens) in 18 samples. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen, which is known to play a role in the development of breast cancers. The preservatives are used in many cosmetics and some foods to increase their shelf-life.

"From this research it is not possible to say whether parabens actually caused these tumours, but they may certainly be associated with the overall rise in breast cancer cases," says Philip Harvey, an editor of the Journal of Applied Toxicology, which published the research.

"Given that breast cancer is the largest killer of women and a very high percentage of young women use underarm deodorants, I think we should be carrying out properly funded, further investigations into parabens and where they are found in the body," Harvey told New Scientist.

Chemical cousins

The new research was led by molecular biologist Philippa Darbre, at the University of Reading. She says that the ester-bearing form of parabens found in the tumours indicates it came from something applied to the skin, such as an underarm deodorant, cream or body spray. When parabens are eaten, they are metabolised and lose the ester group, making them less strongly estrogen-mimicking.

"One would expect tumours to occur evenly, with 20 per cent arising in each of the five areas of the breast," Darbre told New Scientist. "But these results help explain why up to 60 per cent of all breast tumours are found in just one-fifth of the breast - the upper-outer quadrant, nearest the underarm."

However, Chris Flower, director general of the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Perfumery Association, challenged the study's findings. "There are almost no deodorants and body sprays that contain parabens," he says. "Although they are in most other creams and cosmetics, the safety margin is huge and they would not have any effect on enhancing growth of new tumours."

Darbre replies that deodorants and antiperspirants have only stopped containing parabens in the last few months and that the tumours she studied occurred prior to this.

A small survey by New Scientist of three British high street shops and one supermarket found deodorants in each that contained parabens, although most of these products did not. However, many other products used under the arm commonly contained parabens, such as body sprays, hair removal creams and shaving gels. Body lotions, face creams, cleansers and shampoos also frequently contained parabens.

Skin deep

Previously published studies have shown that parabens are able to be absorbed through the skin and to bind to the body's estrogen-receptors, where they can encourage breast cancer cell growth.

But Flower maintains that the amount of parabens absorbed by the skin is very low and the parabens are "metabolised by the skin cells to produce products that have no estrogenic activity".

Darbre's research did not look at the concentrations of parabens in other areas of the breast or body tissues and Harvey cautions that the significance of the chemicals in tumour tissue should not be over-interpreted.

Darbre says she has not used cosmetic products, including underarm deodorants, for eight years. She recommends that other women do the same "until their safety can be established".

Journal reference: Journal of Applied Toxicology (vol 24, p5)

winter

Jan 15, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #5 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks for the replies! The thing is I was wondering if anyone had tried natural brands other than lush or Tom's.
Dove, soft and dri....all of those contain chemicals that make my arm pits itchy, plus I dont' want aluminum either. I don't sweat very much, but would still liek something that works.
If you guys think of any let me know!!

rvega

Jan 15, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #6 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman,
Thanks for the great info. I actually work in the field of personal care product toxicology but had no idea about the parabens bit. We produce and administer so many chemicals, but have little idea of what they might be doing to us.
I myself am a sweaty monster, and have tried Tom's of Maine (Tom's Stink Stick as my brother calls it) and the crystal jobbie. Unfortunately neither seemed to work. The main effective ingredient in anti-persperent deoderant is aluminum (kills bacteria) and the parabens are preservatives. Maybe we should all take a look at our personal care products and see if they contain these guys. Unfortunately many companies use trademarks as an excuse to list all the indgredients.

wonderwoman

Jan 15, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #7 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're all right! the natural stuff doesn't work that great and I'm still looking for good stuff. If I have an important meeting I will use anti-perspirant but otherwise I use Tom's.

Rvega - you bring up some good points:
In reply to:
Unfortunately many companies use trademarks as an excuse to list all the indgredients.

As a matter of fact, some of the harmful chemicals are hidden under the label of 'fragrance'. So as consumers, we don't have a choice because when we look at the label and see the word 'fragrance' we don't see the list of chemicals that go along with it. And sometimes I have to wonder why an allegedly 'non-scented' hand lotion has the word 'fragrance' in the list of ingredients.

When I was 11 my mom had to have many cysts removed from her breasts and she still has the scars. Way back then her Doc told her to stay away from anti-perspirant. I have inherrited the fibrotic cyst disease from my mom but have never needed surgery. But every time I get an exam from a new doc I have to warn her or she thinks I have breast cancer. I've been screened twice. It's no fun.

It's crazy this chemical soup we live in! But I think these products should be labelled so that we can at least make an educated decision about the products that we buy.

rvega

Jan 15, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #8 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Unfortunately many companies use trademarks as an excuse to list all the indgredients.

:shock: Oops....I meant to NOT list all their ingredients. Sorry!

wonderwoman

Jan 15, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #9 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, my bad! I hit submit too early so it only showed your quote! sorry!

tiff

rvega

Jan 15, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #10 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the chemical families my lab studies are synthetic fragrances. These chemicals are found in high concentrations in the enviroment and in brest milk...two bad signs if you are toxicologist. We don't work on the human side but rather on the enviromental side...attempting to figure out what these chemicals might be doing to wildlife. No conclusions just yet. What is remarkable to me is that while we work on personal care products in my lab, no one had heard of these paraben chemicals or their potentially negative effects on humans. Goes to show how hard it is for even scientists much alone consumers to be well educated on the products we put on and in our bodies. My advise...organic and the less ingredients the better.

iamthewallress

Jan 15, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #11 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever tried NO deodorant? If you're used to wearing it, it takes a while for your body to adjust, but you may find that you're not as sweaty or smelly as the "Sure" commercials may have led you to believe. Being clean, obviously, is key. Being a vegetarian (I'm told anyway...Never did an experiment.) keeps some of the odors down too.

indigo_nite

Jan 15, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #12 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the itchy effect. thought it might be b/c of the aluminum-something ingredient, so tried other products that were pure deodorant and not anti-perspirant.

I forgot what the crystal contained but it seemed to work well for a while. Tom's of Maine Honeysuckle Rose does not smell very good but Calendula was wonderful as far as scents. The Tom's brand does not cause itchiness for me.

You probably already know but shaving helps cut down on the odor. Also I've heard you're supposed to switch deodorant brands now and then because they won't be effective for your body forever. Hope that helps.

clockworkd

Jan 18, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #13 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Kiss My Face Liquid Rock roll-on. I find that it works rather well for me. It is a deoderant, not an anti-persperant, so I still perspire but it does not smell

rivercityrni

Jan 18, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #14 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anybody every tried the Burt's Bees line?

http://www1.burtsbees.com/...0001&langId=-1&top=Y

rock_diva

Jan 18, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #15 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I use deoderant, I use Tom's and have found that for me it works as well as anything else. The crystal deoderant has never worked for me.

climbhigh2005

Jan 19, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #16 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah... the deos with the chemicals do cause a better chance for breast cancer... I can't use Crystal Clear.. my bf's mom and sis use toms... i have never tried it.. i use Tom's toothpaste tho

climberchic

Jan 21, 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #17 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tried many different deodorants and and absolutely none have worked as well as Degree for me. I first tried Degree when they came out with it and have been using it ever since.

I find that the "clear" is great for going out and it doesn't leave any white marks or residue on your clothes, but it is not quite as strong as the solid, which I use if I am going to be doing any recreational activites.

climbhigh2005

Feb 3, 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #18 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am using Tom's now.. I love it!

din

Feb 4, 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #19 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using desert essence's dry by nature for a few years now and it works well (for me). no aluminum or anything. they have one with tea tree oil, too, but I haven't used that one.
the thing with a lot of natural deodorants is that they don't tend to last as long as the, er, unnatural ones, so you might have to reapply them during the day.

climbhigh2005

Feb 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #20 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Toms has worked fine for me.. it doesnt smell like anything... I use to use Soft and Dry, and it smelled when I sweat.. good but still it smelled... Toms doesnt smell like anything!

cloudbreak

Feb 5, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #21 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about Metolius Super Chalk? :D

climbhigh2005

Feb 5, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #22 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How about Metolius Super Chalk? :D

sounds like a good idea... 8)

charrock

Feb 19, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #23 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey thanks for the replies! The thing is I was wondering if anyone had tried natural brands other than lush or Tom's.
Dove, soft and dri....all of those contain chemicals that make my arm pits itchy, plus I dont' want aluminum either. I don't sweat very much, but would still liek something that works.
If you guys think of any let me know!!

Hi I use something called Crystal(I think that's what it is called). It's mineral salts in a 'rock like' roll on. You need to be wet (after shower), also the 'rock' needs to be wet and roll it on. Salts kill bacteria, bacteria causes body odors, voila! You will still sweat but not stink. I use it after showering in the morn, work all day, then climb for hours and not stink. I was so surprised that I made my wife stick her nose in my pit to test. She was reluctant at first but later agreed. She garees that it works. Charlie
PS get it at health food stores

moabbeth

Feb 19, 2004, 2:50 AM
Post #24 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="iamthewallress"]Have you ever tried NO deodorant? If you're used to wearing it, it takes a while for your body to adjust, but you may find that you're not as sweaty or smelly as the "Sure" commercials may have led you to believe. /quote]

ding ding ding! Totally true.

Partner greenspace

Feb 19, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #25 of 53 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"When I use deoderant, I use Tom's" Rock Diva,
I like this...emphasis on the "When I use deoderant".....deoderant is overrated anyway.
:D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook