Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fitzontherocks

Jan 15, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #1 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Rappel, rappelled, rappelling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

RAPPEL. Just like a piece of gear, if you're gonna use it, use it right. It's spelled r-a-p-p-e-l. I rappel, you rappel, we rappel. Past tense is rappelled. Gerund form is rappelling. Abbreviated form is rap.

Repel is "to drive back, ward off or keep away."

Just couldn't help myself; it's the English major in me.

usmc_2tothetop

Jan 15, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #2 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rappel, rappelled, rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently so. :o

Partner tradman

Jan 15, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #3 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That had to be said.

Could you give everyone an update on "absailing" while you're there?

plund

Post #4 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems that spelling, grammar & punctuation are no longer seen as very important. I for one view this phenomenon as (another) sign of the decline of our society. Scoff if you will, but spelling is one of those areas where most of the time (ie. color / colour) there is only one correct answer. "A for effort" just doesn't cut it! Some typos are inevitable, especially when frenetically hammering away at a keyboard, but there are far too many heinous errors, and far too little attention paid. I am especially dismayed when I see misspellings / grammar errors on advertising / public announcements. IMHO, it makes the advertiser look really dumb to have paid good money & have their name plastered next to a spelling error. Whew, Fitz, thanks for the venting opportunity...didn't mean to get carried away!!

Not an English major, just a concerned citizen...

beyond_gravity

Post #5 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mis-spelling it can get you in trouble.

"I went sport raping"

climbersoze

Jan 15, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #6 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mis-spelling it can get you in trouble.

"I went sport raping"

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

This rappel thread is repulsing and I find myself, being a republican, repelled from reposting a rebuttal.... uhhh.... now I am gonna go listen to some rap music....

I got nuthin :?

vertical_reality

Jan 15, 2004, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U peple. shoud chil out,

jv

Jan 15, 2004, 4:55 PM
Post #8 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fitz, I feel your pain. Here's another common error: lead (a heavy metal) is not the past tense of lead. It's _led_.

Today I lead. Yesterday I led.

JV

hangdoggypound

Jan 15, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #9 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
RAPPEL...Just couldn't help myself; it's the English major in me.

This is funny. While you are right, those who make the spelling mistakes do not realize that they make them, particularly with words such as "rappel." So I think you are merely 'preaching to the choir'. Furthermore, postings on an online BB are not final-draft English papers, nor are they for sale as any type of manuscript. It's not that big of a deal. I have my degree in English as well, but I don't get worked up over mis-spelled words in an online forum. Everyone mis-spells words sometimes. Although I get a good chuckle when I see "probly." :lol:

Oh yeah, if you're in the middle of a several-pitch route and must rappel down due to bad weather, knowing how to spell it correctly will not keep you alive.

lollipopchic

Jan 15, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #10 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Scoff if you will, but spelling is one of those areas where most of the time (ie. color / colour) there is only one correct answer.

Nope color/colour doesn't have one correct spelling (the US is not the whole world!!). Its spelt colour, here in Oz. :D

mike_ok

Jan 15, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #11 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He was using colour as an example of one that doesn't fit the "Most of the time" rule.

As to the claim that "the decline in spelling is paradigmatic of the decline of society in general," I think I'd have to disagree. We're witnessing the gradual shift from a print/written society to an oral/media society. This is a shift to be sure, but I'm not sure we're at a place to call it a decline...

piton

Jan 15, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #12 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rappel, rappelled, rappelling

well if your going to be a gramer nazi, you should rearange your title in the order of how rappelling occurs. Rappel, rappelling, rappelled. :roll: rolling, rolled

scubasnyder

Jan 15, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #13 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think that we got the picture from that

fitzontherocks

Jan 15, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #14 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absail/Abseil... good one, Tradman!

Ironically, Europeans who speak English are often better spellers or writers than the Americans who post here.

Hangdoggypound, you're right. Good grammar won't save your butt on a multi-pitch. But (flamethrowers on) it IS important. Me, I'm a writer. It's what I do for a living. So, admittedly, it's more important to me than the average bear. And I'm not "worked up" about it. I just get a brain ache when I read all this crap on this online BB. Bad spelling or misuse of words just makes the poster look... well, let's be charitable and just say not so bright.

tweek

Jan 15, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #15 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya I hate that because when someone writes rapel I always am like ... "but there is no car to drive back, and what are they warding off or keeping away from?"

Or I realize what they are saying and really don't care.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 15, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #16 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol, I always have to laugh at my friends when chatting online. Seems like nobody my age ever bothers to use full words, punctuation, or capitalization anymore. I type like I talk, so a lot of the time I'll leave words out, but I try to at least appear literate in my writing. :lol: :lol:

And for those of you who may enjoy this: http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html

:lol: :lol:

Partner j_ung

Jan 15, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #17 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree to a point. I'm also a writer, but I think it makes me a little more understanding of the mistakes I see hereabouts (especially my own).

However, there's big fat line between an honest error or two and the butchery that often occurs. Take for example (not a real quote):

"heh i here that alot !!!!!11 and It really makes mad to think that they think there opinion is so geea ands tuff."

brutusofwyde

Jan 15, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #18 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Absail/Abseil... good one, Tradman!

Yes. He beet me too the punch. "Hoist the Absails! All Hands on Deck!"

In reply to:
Bad spelling or misuse of words just makes the poster look... well, let's be charitable and just say not so bright.

Aye, awl whey's ewes spill cheque.

Tubrus

Partner cracklover

Jan 15, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #19 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Scoff if you will, but spelling is one of those areas where most of the time (ie. color / colour) there is only one correct answer.

Not an English major, just a concerned citizen...

I'm glad you're not an English major. Perhaps you were thinking of "e.g."? Even e.g. would be incorrect, as color/colour is an exception, rather than an example, of the rule you were trying to illustrate.

Fact is, people are *constantly* misunderstanding each other on this site. Misspelling and poor grammar certainly don't make things any easier, but the fact is that crystallizing an idea and then conveying it in a clear fashion is not easy, and good reading skills are far from universal. But that's fine by me... some threads provide a good laugh that way (in a perverse anthropological way).

GO

rope_burn

Jan 15, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #20 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't spell for beens, and honestly I don't care. They have that little spell check thing at the bottom of the post and thats what I rely on. If the person reading what I wrote gets my point then thats all that matters to me. Don't be so #&%!'n picky.

hangdoggypound

Jan 15, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #21 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fact is, people are *constantly* misunderstanding each other on this site. Misspelling and poor grammar certainly don't make things any easier, but the fact is that crystallizing an idea and then conveying it in a clear fashion is not easy, and good reading skills are far from universal. But that's fine by me... some threads provide a good laugh that way (in a perverse anthropological way).

GO
Good point about reading skills. I'd like to add that communication online is rather amazing - we can chat with folks from all around the world - France, Guatemala, Oz, and so on. Some non-native English speakers might butcher a few words as well as grammar principles, but I think that the global connection (well-spelled or not) is fascinating. Correct spelling may be just a thing that some of us crave for the sake of correctness. Really, though, what IS correct spelling? The dictionary came after language. And language is a fluid, living thing that changes.

Remeber the word "RITUAL?" Many use that now in this sense, "My ritual every morning is to brush my teeth after my shower." But the original meaning of the word was more along the lines of a religious 'thing' to do for penance, not habit or system. Sort of on the same lines, anyway.

In reply to:
As to the claim that "the decline in spelling is paradigmatic of the decline of society in general," I think I'd have to disagree. We're witnessing the gradual shift from a print/written society to an oral/media society. This is a shift to be sure, but I'm not sure we're at a place to call it a decline...
I agree...certainly not a decline.

Anyway, cheers.

brutusofwyde

Jan 15, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #22 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Perhaps you were thinking of "e.g."? Even e.g. would be incorrect, as color/colour is an exception, rather than an example, of the rule you were trying to illustrate.

I thought e.g. would be incorrect because of its lack of italics, id est: "e.g.", "e.g." being an abbreviation of exempli gratis

Calcium Hypochlorite,

(i.e. HTH),

Brutus, not to mention punctuation:
"That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is"

fitzontherocks

Jan 15, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #23 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't realize what a can of worms I'd open with a simple spelling tip.

Hangdoggypound, "ritual" is from "rite," which is a prescribed or customary form for conducting a religious or other ceremony. So you're right (not rite) about that. But it's also something that is repeated. A ritual can be sacred or secular. The point is that "correctness" or clarity is important ESPECIALLY as communication, e.g. (exempli gratis or "for example"), with other countries, increases. A "ritual" to you may be brushing your teeth (and I hope it is). While to a Masai, it may be drinking the blood of a cow. Yes, language changes. Ten years ago, you couldn't find the word "online" in a dictionary. But today you can. So use the latest standards to communicate. "What is correct spelling?" you ask. It's what's accepted as the standard by the recognized authorities, not just what's commonly used (and abused). The word rappel has not changed. There are no alternate correct spellings. I was just saying "learn to spell one of the words we in the climbing community use on a regular basis." Not to you, of course. You seem to have a clue.

Maybe we should talk about something else. Like climbing.

Or, as the AOLer Translator says:
MAYB WE SHUD TOK ABOUT SOMETHNG ELS31!!!!!1 OMG WTF LOL LIEK CLIMBNG1!!1 WTF

hangdoggypound

Jan 15, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #24 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Didn't realize what a can of worms I'd open with a simple spelling tip... "What is correct spelling?" you ask. It's what's accepted as the standard by the recognized authorities, not just what's commonly used (and abused). The word rappel has not changed. There are no alternate correct spellings. I was just saying "learn to spell one of the words we in the climbing community use on a regular basis."
With that, too-shay; or however it is spelled. I suppose I was trying to defend the larger idea that 'language is alive,' and not necessarily that writing, "I had to wrap down Widow Maker yesterday" is OK. There's nothing remotely wrong with showing people how to spell RAPPEL.

Cheers.
M

styndall

Jan 15, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #25 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I thought e.g. would be incorrect because of its lack of italics, id est: "e.g.", "e.g." being an abbreviation of exempli gratis

It's actually exempli gratia. Also, the second a in gratia should have a long mark, as it's an ablative noun, not a nominative.

Really, in idiotic formats, writing things like e.g. in italics might be important, but even in academic writing, most everyone ignores that kind of thing for less pedantic squabbling. Hell, that MLA format we've all been taught to use for bibliographies is hardly necessary. Essentially everyone who reads a paper just requires that there be sufficient information to look up the source. Who cares if it's a comma rather than a period? The info is there. For much of formal academia, that's fine.

Spelling is important, but an instance of "repell" is hardly a thing to get worked up over.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook