RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

dynoguy

Jan 16, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #1 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

What to do with baggage?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Me and my friend are going to try our first multi-pitch this weekend. I've been wondering what to do with our backpacks full of stuff we won't need on a relatively short three pitch route, like water, non-climbing shoes, and extra clothes. I'm not sure if it would be safe to leave our stuff on the ground where anyone could walk off with it while we are engaged in our vertical endeavors. What do you guys do?

dynoguy

Jan 16, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Re: What to do with baggage? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump(yes I'm shameless)

danielb

Jan 16, 2004, 10:30 AM
Post #3 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Scotland thats usually not a concern as most of our multi-pitch routes are in fairly remote crags. Where its only going to be climbers about, no members of the public who don't know not to touch other peoples gear...

Work out exactly what extra gear you need and get the second to carry it in a pack. Or both carry small packs, you should not need that much extra gear for a 3 pitch route.

DanielB

popol

Jan 16, 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #4 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just leave it at the base. No problem.

gblauer

Jan 16, 2004, 1:42 PM
Post #5 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I typically leave it at the base. You can have your second carry it up and hang it off a bolt or a piece until you rappel and retreive it.

overlord

Jan 16, 2004, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try to hide it at the base. if tis just out of sight, it will do. most people wont search for booty when hiking.

brianinslc

Jan 16, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #7 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure if it would be safe to leave our stuff on the ground where anyone could walk off with it while we are engaged in our vertical endeavors. What do you guys do?

Really depends on where you're climbing.

I'd say at most crags, especially three pitch multi, you'd be pretty safe.

Also seen some folks rack up at the car, and clip their walkin' shoes to the harness, carry everything with.

Be very rare that your stuff gets ripped. Much higher chance of your car gettin' broken into in the parkin' lot, IMHO.

Also depends on the traffic. Usually, if there's a bunch of folk around, its no problemo. People have a pretty low tolerance for that type of behavior...

I almost never worry about it, only when theirs pesky critters that'll chew thru yer pack...

Been broken into at a trailhead, though. Glad most my gear was with me...so...

Brian in SLC

glockaroo

Jan 16, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #8 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leave all keys except car & house key at home. Leave your packs & stuff at the climb's base. Climb with a small waist pack and keep your keys + wallet in there. That way even if your gear gets stolen from the base, you at least have a way home + your wallet.

A small waist pack with a separate zippered pocket for the wallet and a little sewn-in clip for the keys is ideal.

davidji

Jan 16, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #9 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Me and my friend are going to try our first multi-pitch this weekend. I've been wondering what to do with our backpacks full of stuff we won't need on a relatively short three pitch route, like water, non-climbing shoes, and extra clothes. I'm not sure if it would be safe to leave our stuff on the ground where anyone could walk off with it while we are engaged in our vertical endeavors. What do you guys do?
Do you walk off or rap? If you walk off, does the walk off go near the base? If not, how far out of your way to get back to the base? How long is the approach? The answers to these questions should help decide what to do.

What route are you planning? Based on your location and what little I know about Oregon climbing I have a guess...

leaverbiner

Jan 16, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #10 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are doing multi-pitch sport - then I would definitely recommend having your second clip your packs to the 2nd or 3rd bolt - although ti is not a fool proof way to keep you gear safe, if is certainly a deterent and will likely ensure that only a climber could get there (hopefully you don't have to worry about climbers stealing your gear).

If you are doing multi-pitch trad then the above isn't the easiest or necessarily best decision but still can be done leaving behind a piece of gear. Of course this is only an option if you are intending to rap off and not walk off.

Partner j_ung

Jan 17, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #11 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you are doing multi-pitch sport - then I would definitely recommend having your second clip your packs to the 2nd or 3rd bolt - although ti is not a fool proof way to keep you gear safe, if is certainly a deterent and will likely ensure that only a climber could get there (hopefully you don't have to worry about climbers stealing your gear).

If you are doing multi-pitch trad then the above isn't the easiest or necessarily best decision but still can be done leaving behind a piece of gear. Of course this is only an option if you are intending to rap off and not walk off.

What about other climbers coming up from after them? I suppose you could boulder up to a gear placement that isn't on an established route.

I think it depends on the theft history - or lack thereof - at the area in which you're climbing. If it happens a lot, minimize what you take to the crag and carry it all up the route. If not, don't sweat it.

nagatana

Jan 17, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #12 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never done this, but how 'bout a camouflaged knapsack hidden in the trees?

mike_ok

Jan 17, 2004, 7:55 PM
Post #13 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that most people just leave the gear, with a very low probability of it being messed with. If your three pitch is vertical you can often see down anyway. Most people are not going to take it if you can see them (even though you wouldn't be able to get to them in time).

At Potrero a few weeks ago, we were doing a 4 pitch next to a 3 pitch. The guys roping up for the 3 pitch asked my second after I had led the first pitch, "You think its safe to just leave your gear behind like that?"... his answer, "Well, I guess that depends alot on you."

scubasnyder

Jan 17, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #14 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would leave it at the base or hide it if your that worried

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook