Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mtengaio

Jan 5, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #1 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Ice Tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are some good ice tools to consider for a beginner?

fabe

Jan 5, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd get some Charlet Moser Quarks!!! even if they cost quite a bit, they're worth it!!
I'd not recommend you to buy a cheap and less "extreme" tool, because after a few ice meters you'll get used to a curved pick...

mtengaio

Jan 5, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #3 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are those leashless style?

fabe

Jan 5, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #4 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can get them in both styles

I only tried the normal ones but you can also use them without leashes.

the ones with ergo grips cost even a bit more...

brianthew

Jan 5, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #5 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some would say the best tools are the $100/pair Black Prophets/Shrikes/etc with the bent handle. There is some truth to this, as you'll learn with these if ice climbing is for you or not, but you'll likely just go out and buy a new set of tools after your first season or so.

For beginners (and non-beginners) I'd suggest the Black Diamond Rage tools; they're not as extreme or specialized as the Quark (and cheaper, too!) but still have good clearence and a good swing. They also use the same pick as the Cobra; it ships with a T-rated pick but you can buy B-rated picks if you like.

No, they're not leashess (well, you could try; they have a rather large pinky catch).

If you're a beginner you might not want to dive into the world of specialized tools until you know what you're doing and what you want to climb.

But yeah, the Quark would work too, though it's a more suited to ice cragging than alpine, etc. Like I said, depends on your goals.

the_pirate

Jan 5, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #6 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a beginner, get whatever tools you can beg, borrow, or steal. In fact, you would be best server to climb with the worst tools possible. Your buddy's old axes with the dull picks and duct taped leashes. After you have climbed a few routes with crappy tools, you will have an excellent idea of what you want in a tool.

Other people can only recommend what works for them. Try out whatever you can get your hands on cheaply and you will learn what works, or doesn't work, for you.

Partner tradman

Jan 5, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #7 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too right.

When you first start, your tools will take a battering as you bash the ice and rock looking for placements. You don't want to be wrecking an expensive pair of tools until you know what you want.

It's a good time of year to score cheap tools as folks upgrade for the new season and sell their old ones off for a song.

mtengaio

Jan 5, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #8 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great advice, think I'll shop around and see what I can find for cheap. Any suggestions where to look online?

brianthew

Jan 5, 2004, 9:31 PM
Post #9 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try E-Bay. There's always people selling old tools and crampons there, often for great prices. You could probably find a pair of bent-shaft BD Shrikes there for less than $150 a pair. They're good beginner tools, and they can take the same picks that the Cobra can.

fear

Jan 5, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #10 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Great advice, think I'll shop around and see what I can find for cheap. Any suggestions where to look online?

http://www.neice.com

Good folks mostly....

And a new properly sharpened/modified pick makes the most difference. Esp. on fat easy ice. Make sure your tools are always sharp.

-Fear

andypro

Jan 5, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #11 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

www.killerdeals.com I'ts not jsut a name :wink:

craggincragin

Jan 13, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #12 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some would say the best tools are the $100/pair Black Prophets/Shrikes/etc with the bent handle.

$100 a pair? :shock: I thought it was $100 per tool.

adeptus

Jan 13, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #13 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charlet Moser Aztars are good all around tools and they´re cheap too.

brianthew

Jan 13, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #14 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Some would say the best tools are the $100/pair Black Prophets/Shrikes/etc with the bent handle.

$100 a pair. I have seen such deals! You'll probably never find them new for that price, but used you will.

craggincragin

Jan 13, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #15 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

$100 a pair. I have seen such deals! You'll probably never find them new for that price, but used you will.

Wow, that is incredible. Black Diamond has recently discontinued the Shrike, which explains the price drop, and the bent-shaft are selling like hot cakes.

bbevans039

Jan 18, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #16 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have Old Quasars , which are a replication of the Quark.. they are nice, but Trango makes good gear at a good price .. check out the capt hooks

youmeanupthere

Jan 19, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #17 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really dig the AZTARS. I purchased them this year and I am quite pleased. The are supposed to be great all arounders of which I am not sure having not done any alpine climbing with them but they do perform well on steep ice. I've been out on them on at least 12 occasions and have climbed up WI5 without a problem. Retail is $175 which includes the leashes and the freelock leashes are also quite nice. All of my more experienced partners have commented on how effortless it is for me to get in and out of my leashes.

sinorock

Jan 20, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #18 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been using my Aztar for 10 days this season. I am quite happy with it. The only downside is that Aztar is on the lighter side. They are the lightest technical tools on the market.

When the ice gets hard and brittle in colder weather, the picks don't bite in so easily. I have to swing really hard for several tries. With the improvement of my climbing skill, I will upgrade them to something heavier and more aggresively curved, likely to be quark. Grivel tech wings are very heavy. When I swing them in the store, I feel like the tools pulling me forward. Pretty funny, eh?

bishopclimber

Jan 20, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #19 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd get some Charlet Moser Quarks!!!
I found the Quark to be too short and too light. On really hard ice I found it difficult to get a good stick. I also found that although they have a bent shaft, the bend is not very pronounced. just my .02

bishopclimber

Jan 20, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #20 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have Old Quasars
I found the Quasar to be too short and too light. On hard ice I found it difficult to get a good stick. Although the Quasar has a bent shaft, the bend is not very pronounced. On vertical ice it's easy to bang the knuckles. I'm sticking with my X-Fifteens.

mother_sheep

Jan 20, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #21 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Charlet Moser Aztars are good all around tools and they´re cheap too.

Is $175.00 per tool cheap? Not for me.

Anyway, I was asking this same question a couple of months ago and the best advice that worked for me is to try out a bunch of tools and go with what feels good. I wouldn't buy a tool just because it's cheap. If I did, I'd end up with some heavy hunk o junk that would be hard to swing and even harder to stick. I tried out Simonds, CAMP, Trango and Charlet Moser tools. If I purchased a tool because it was cheap, I wouldn't climb as well, which would ultimately take away from the enjoyment for me anyway. Once you get a feel for the tool that feels best, you won't want to settle for less. I'm torn between the Aztars and the CAMP Awax. What's a girl gotta do to score a pro deal. If you have the answer, PM me if you have connections.

youmeanupthere

Jan 21, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #22 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A brand new ice tool for $175 is cheap, relatively speaking. Pro forms are nice though.

billburning

Jan 22, 2004, 8:48 AM
Post #23 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those tools are selling so cheap for a reason...the new tools on the market are FAR superior...I just got a pair of BD vipers and spent the last week in Ouray, they are freaking great. You can climb leashed or leashless and they plunge well too. Definitly a rockin overall tool. Anyway, don't waste your money on old style tools, you will only want to buy new ones next season.

giano

Oct 13, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #24 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed with various axes from grivel, charlet and bd but I'm climbing with camp awax since three years and I think it is the better tool! It has a very good head that give me a good feeling when I'm climbing. It has only a little problem regarding handle but camp has made a new hand-rest that improve comfort and make you able to climb leashless.

I suggest you to buy it!

jimdavis

Oct 13, 2005, 9:15 PM
Post #25 of 26 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have Old Quasars , which are a replication of the Quark.. they are nice, but Trango makes good gear at a good price .. check out the capt hooks

I have the Madame Hooks, currently with the straight shafts which basically makes them Captain Hooks...and I think they're great.

They're heavy enough to drive into hard ice well, they do well on the mixed stuff cause the pick is a little shorter than most, the rubber grip dampens vibations, and they're pretty reasonable price wise.

They are a tad heavy, but if you like lighter tools get the version without the hammers on them.

I'm not one for getting cheap gear at all...but these Trango tools are really nice, I perfer them to Quarks, Cobras, ect.

Oh the Aztars are a nice tool too, especially if you like light tools. I think with a nice sharp pick, they're probably be just about perfect for pure ice.

Check em out,
Jim

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook