RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

slackinfl

Jan 21, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Any tips on gettin air on a slackline?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it best to have a tight or loose line? Should I land with my feet sideways or straight? I have no problem bouncing on the line but I find it hard to get my feet off of the line because it bounces back so fast. Any tips would be appreciated.

the_alpine

Jan 21, 2004, 4:50 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any tips on gettin air on a slackline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A tighter line definitely helps the initial launch. The trick is you dont want to bounce before you launch (like people pumping for a dyno), instead you need to bust it out after a moment of perfect stillness and balance. Suck your legs up really fast, then when the line hits the bottom of its arc straighten them. Dont try and jump off at the top of the lines arc (that'll just push the line back down) just let it launch you like an arrow. When you feel you've got a bit of air, pull your feet back up again then extend your legs for the landing. Its easiest to land with your feet pointing the same direction. If you can bounce no prob you're just an hour long session from hitting a jump.

scubasnyder

Jan 21, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'M not sure if its a good idea to do that, but have you ever been on a trampoline, its the same concept, id have it decently tight, then bounce and once the slackline reaches its peak jump. If you just jump when it is still the slackline will go down and you will go nowhere.

areyoumydude

Jan 22, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tighter your line is the better.I will bounce in place to get centered. When I am ready, I punch it and pull my knees up toward my chest.I use my arms to center myself in the air. I focus on where I am going to land on the line and stick it... hopefully. Like anything else it just takes practice. Crash pads are nice when you miss.

wiscoclimbiner

Mar 30, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a super tight line and make it real short like 20 to 25 feet. then take a warmup bounce, compress, and then when the line is at the bottom of the bounce, extern your legs and jump. this is similar to a trampoline, once you get air the next step is landing. i start my jump with both feet on the line pointing to one of the anchors and when i land i land duck footed(one foot pointing left and one pointing right) hope this helps ill try to get a video link to one of my jumps

Partner coldclimb

Mar 30, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After a week of working at it off and on, I was finally able to get a few inches of air and stick the landing. ;) I don't have any tips other than what has been said, but I will say that jumping from the ground to the line was definately easier for me to get. :wink:

seafood_meowmix

Sep 18, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would wear a cup.

:oops: Last time I tried to jump... :cry:

goodwholesomeboy

Nov 22, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a tight line definitely helps, the first few times you try to jump your feet probably won't leave the line but you'll have the feeling of being weightless. just keep working at it and you'll stick it.

alvchen

Nov 24, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What also works is trying to jump real close to one of the anchors, where the line is tighter since it won't stretch as much.

What helped me gain confidence is start by trying to simply jump off the line. Jump up and off the line. That will give you the feel for what it's like to get air.

After that, try jumping straight up and landing. It'll only take time.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook