RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

youmeanupthere

Jan 22, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

schlepping gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm sick of industry whores and their minions trying to push every new gadget and gizmo as if it is a life saving purchase. I know this is their job and I respect people who do their job well but for those who bad mouth the equipment you currently use in order to make the sale I say pthththththth. For example, I wear plastic Koflach boots ice climbing. They are probably overkill for most of what I do but they keep my feet nice and toasty plus they only cost $75 when I bought them (barely used). Well at a recent ice festival I had a rep lecture me on how out of date plastics are and that if your not using kevlar your not ice climbing. I also saw boat loads of good climbers wearing plastics. I suppose if I was climbing M8 my plastics my not be too sweet but . . .
I'm sure more people have had annoying sales experiences.
This rant also stems from another thread on this site that bashes leashes. I mean leashes are like so 2001.

climbersoze

Jan 22, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Re: schlepping gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How bout the threads about getting the newest, lightest, heaviest load bearing, and coolest looking carabiners? My old ovals and D's still work for me.

okcdirtbag

Jan 22, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hell half the stuff i owned i inherited from my dad, it's outdated yea sure there are lighter stronger better things out there. But, hey my stuff works and i don't feel like droppin a couple grand to replace already workin gear..

the_pirate

Jan 22, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still climbing ice with one Lowe Camp Hummingbird and one Charlet Moser straight shaft Pulsar. And I don't find the tools to be the limiting factor.

crotch

Jan 22, 2004, 5:39 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your Yiddish sucks. Do you know what 'schlepping' means? Then why did you use it?

dino

Jan 22, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my yiddish sucks. So, what does " schlepping" mean?

Partner taualum23

Jan 22, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally "schlepping" is used as a term meaning a long and/or arduous trip. "Come on, I don't really feel like schlepping all the way over to the deli for lunch, let's order chinese." Now, my Yiddish isn't exactly good either, so I may be wrong. I have never heard it used in this contxt.

petsfed

Jan 22, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dig. Its not like everytime a new cam comes out I go out and buy it (although I wish I could). But for a rep to tell you that plastic is holding you back is just not right. Whoever it was, when you reach the point where plastic will hold you back (and it will someday) be sure to buy a performance boot from some other company. Climbing is too small of a community (and a market share) to scare away customers like that and the rep should have known better.

ricardol

Jan 22, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Generally "schlepping" is used as a term meaning a long and/or arduous trip. "Come on, I don't really feel like schlepping all the way over to the deli for lunch, let's order chinese." Now, my Yiddish isn't exactly good either, so I may be wrong. I have never heard it used in this contxt.

yeah - i read this thread expecting to hear some horror story about carrying gear to the base of a big wall or something

-- ricardo

rokshoxbkr19

Jan 22, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, I wanted to complain about how one of my partners never carries any of the gear and I have to Schlep it all over. Ovay!!!

mike_ok

Jan 22, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Schlepping also usually has the conotation of carrying too much cumbersome crap... as in "Rather than schlepping haul bags to the base of a climb, PTPP has convinced gumbies to schlepp for him."

sundevil

Jan 22, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Schlepping can also mean that you are carrying something like a pack.
"I can't believe I schepped all this water up the hill just to find a well at the top."
Funny story. One of my friends is Jewish and works for an advertising firm here in Phoenix. Anyway, a new Kosher Pizza place was opening in Scottsdale and had hired my friend's firm to do the ad campaign for the Kosher Pizza place. One afternoon the creative team comes into my friend looking desperate. "Hey, we have been slaving for three days to come up with some good ideas but we're stumped. Since your Jewish, do you have any good, creative thoughts?" My friend rattled off a few ideas for them and they left with renewed vigor.
My friend tells me this story and the pizza place actually used one of my buddy's ideas. On the cars and on the pizza boxes it say, "Free Schlepping." I died laughing.
Geoff

sundevil

Jan 22, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Schlepping can also mean that you are carrying something like a pack.
"I can't believe I schepped all this water up the hill just to find a well at the top."
Funny story. One of my friends is Jewish and works for an advertising firm here in Phoenix. Anyway, a new Kosher Pizza place was opening in Scottsdale and had hired my friend's firm to do the ad campaign for the Kosher Pizza place. One afternoon the creative team comes into my friend looking desperate. "Hey, we have been slaving for three days to come up with some good ideas but we're stumped. Since your Jewish, do you have any good, creative thoughts?" My friend rattled off a few ideas for them and they left with renewed vigor.
My friend tells me this story and the pizza place actually used one of my buddy's ideas. On the cars and on the pizza boxes it say, "Free Schlepping." I died laughing.
Geoff

Partner taualum23

Jan 22, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Free Schlepping" That's so awesome. My mother would be pleased.
I'm just glad I was right about the definition. Otherwise I would have had to return my world domination card.

youmeanupthere

Jan 22, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the correction and your right, my Yiddish is really poor, in fact non-existent. Perhaps somewhere in my subconcious I meant that sales reps burden me with a load of crap that I schlep around, i.e. misinformation or the urge to defend myself from choosing to use an old smc oval versus a brand new shiney bent wire gate.

I will be more careful in the future of using words that I am not entirely sure of their meaning.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook