RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jkarns

Jan 20, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #1 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Re-Launch of PAC Website
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello Folks--

FINALLY!! We have relaunched the Pennsylvania Alliance of Climbers website, and this time we promise to keep it updated and active. So, what are you waiting for??? Check it out! And while you're at it, why not sign up for the 3rd annual Governor Stable Bouldering Competition to be held Sat. March 27?

http://www.paclimbers.org

Cheers--

Josh

deafclimber

Jan 20, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Re: Re-Launch of PAC Website [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello Folks--

FINALLY!! We have relaunched the Pennsylvania Alliance of Climbers website, and this time we promise to keep it updated and active. So, what are you waiting for??? Check it out! And while you're at it, why not sign up for the 3rd annual Governor Stable Bouldering Competition to be held Sat. March 27?

http://www.paclimbers.org

Cheers--

Josh

your website isnt working.

rokshoxbkr19

Jan 20, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #3 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

jkarns

Jan 20, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #4 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

hmmm... It's working just fine for me??

deafclimber

Jan 20, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #5 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

hmmm... It's working just fine for me??

it is now ! :shock: thanks

kimmyt

Jan 20, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #6 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say 'bouldering competition'....is there a division for those of us who (how do i say it nicely) suck a$$??

Just curious.

K.

jkarns

Jan 20, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #7 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When you say 'bouldering competition'....is there a division for those of us who (how do i say it nicely) suck a$$??

ABSO-Freakin-LUTELY! We've got categories out the ying-yang, and prizes to support them as well. In all, we've got TEN categories.

Junior (under 14) male and female
Beginner (up to V0) male and female
Intermediate (V1-V3) male and female
Advanced (V4-V6) male and female
Open (V7 and up) male and female

The whole event is designed to be a good time and friendly atmosphere. Cheering will be plentiful and beta will be distributed as requested. Its more about celebrating a place than beating your opponents!

cheers

Josh

dredsovrn

Jan 20, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #8 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It appears that you are aligned with the Access Fund. I already contribute to the Access Fund, and feel I probably get little for it. Should I also contribute to your organization, or should I switch my contribution to you. Will I get more for my money from PAC?

jkarns

Jan 20, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #9 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It appears that you are aligned with the Access Fund. I already contribute to the Access Fund, and feel I probably get little for it. Should I also contribute to your organization, or should I switch my contribution to you. Will I get more for my money from PAC?

For starters, you will get the priveledge to climb at Governor Stable!

I'd like to discuss this further, but I don't have the time right now. However, I do think that this is a topic that needs to be publicly addressed.

Josh

rokshoxbkr19

Jan 20, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #10 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really seems like that is the only benefit of the PAC and it really only seems to be a benefit for south central PA climbers. Gretna has the same type of boulders as Governor's and way more of them, hundreds of them and it is free. I am not attacking PAC here, so dont' get your panties in a bunch, I am just stating what seems to be an obvious truth.

dontfall

Jan 21, 2004, 1:42 PM
Post #11 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It really seems like that is the only benefit of the PAC and it really only seems to be a benefit for south central PA climbers. Gretna has the same type of boulders as Governor's and way more of them, hundreds of them and it is free. I am not attacking PAC here, so dont' get your panties in a bunch, I am just stating what seems to be an obvious truth.

i am not trying to start an arguement here or taking anyones side here but I have talked with Josh regarding the PAC and what it stands for. I do not think they are just for swpa climbers. I think Josh and Anne and all the other PAC members are not in it for themselves nor just there area of climbing. They are trying to help out PA in a good way and that is gaining access to many wonderful climbing areas and so on. I have never heard anything bad about them and the truth is there is nothing bad about them. I am just stating what seems to the obvious truth.

dontfall

Jan 21, 2004, 1:43 PM
Post #12 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

ABSO-Freakin-LUTELY! We've got categories out the ying-yang, and prizes to support them as well. In all, we've got TEN categories.

Junior (under 14) male and female
Beginner (up to V0) male and female
Intermediate (V1-V3) male and female
Advanced (V4-V6) male and female
Open (V7 and up) male and female

The whole event is designed to be a good time and friendly atmosphere. Cheering will be plentiful and beta will be distributed as requested. Its more about celebrating a place than beating your opponents!

cheers

Josh

sweet....how many competitors entered each catergory last year?

climbinganne

Jan 21, 2004, 2:15 PM
Post #13 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

it costs a lot of money to keep governor stable open - leasing the land and paying for the insurance, you really have no clue

you'll pay $18 for a day of plastic at ET...i don't understand

the PAC could be a powerful force in Pa...but it takes more than 4 people willing to give their time and money

you are either on the bus or not

climbinganne < on the bus...for the long ride, baby

dontfall

Jan 21, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #14 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

it costs a lot of money to keep governor stable open - leasing the land and paying for the insurance, you really have no clue

you'll pay $18 for a day of plastic at ET...i don't understand

the PAC could be a powerful force in Pa...but it takes more than 4 people willing to give their time and money

you are either on the bus or not

climbinganne < on the bus...for the long ride, baby

Can I drive?

gbschmitt

Jan 21, 2004, 3:13 PM
Post #15 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greetings from a neighbor to the South (who does enjoy PA climbing as well) and congrats on the new website. It's dedicated people like you guys who make sure climbers are heard to the benefit of the rest of us. Hats off.

G-Man

roclimb

Jan 21, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #16 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dredsovern said,

In reply to:
I feel I get little for my access fund membership

Just wanted to point out a few things the Access Fund has done in PA in the past two years. Several clean - ups have been held in PA Mocanaqua, Big Rock Park, Mconnels Mills, (and several clean ups in central PA Hammond Rock, Chickie's, Schaffer-were done by members of the access fund, the PAC and the Lancaster climbers club)

In Eastern PA teh AF got climbing granted at at least five climbing areas that were previously posted or had no offical policy on climbing. The FE Walter Dam, Big Rock Park, Montdale boulders, and Land of the Lost are examples of these.

I have worked with the Delaware Water Gap to decrease the extent of the raptor closure at the Water Gap for this season (this means that instead of the entire cliff being closed this year only half will be closed)

There have been a significant amount of old rusty anchors replaced at crags in Eastern PA also over the past few months and we will continue to replace bad anchors and bolts throughout PA in the next year.

These are just a few things the Access Fund has been envolved in within the past year, Lonnie the coordinator for Central PA has achivied an opening of a popular Ice climbing area along the susquehanna and has been very involved with issues adressing climbing throught central PA.

Its understandable to think that the AF is not doing a lot in PA because a lot of the things that go on are not publicized. That is probably a mistake on my part and I will try to start a newsleter in the future to keep the public more informed on issues.

Your membership is very important and goes a long way I hope you will continue to support the AF and the PAC as both are working hard in PA.

If you have any questions or want to be involved with anything the AF is doing in the next few months you can PM me here or e-mail me at squirt515@hotmail.com
happy climbing
~Rob H

walllizzard

Jan 24, 2004, 1:32 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey its great to see that the PAC is back in action. I recently saw the decrease in price to join to climb there good move. I have been a local climber here in south central pa for a few yrs. The PAC, from what i understand had to re-organize for all intense purposes. I hope the ppl who have taken this initiative will continue with carrying the heavy load of maintaning the local areas. I know that i am willing to help when i can, so let me know. I have several picks to give to jkarns, form the day at gretna, need to meet up. well later all and please support your local climbing clubs

rwaltermyer

Jan 28, 2004, 3:48 PM
Post #18 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on the AF topic...didn't the AF give the PAC a $5,000 startup grant too?!

jkarns

Jan 28, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #19 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
on the AF topic...didn't the AF give the PAC a $5,000 startup grant too?!

Actually, it was a $1500 grant...

Josh

chronicle

Mar 17, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #20 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been following the PAC since it's start. I have not seen anything done in Western PA. I have been to the competitions every spring, and will be this year. Am I a member, nope. I believe the organization should change it's name to reflect more onto what the organization is about. South Central/Eastern PA climbing. I would love to take part in the organization, volunteering on weekends, etc, but there is no representation of the organization in Western PA.

I'm not trying to rip on the PAC. What they did at Governers Stable is awesome. They have some good goals, and work hard. However to carry a name that encompasses the entire state, then there should be representation throughout the entire state.

I remember in the fall of last year, there was a call out for "Area Representatives". I put in my climbing resume. I was psyched to see something actually happening statewide. How far did that go? I've never seen anything mentioned about it, nothing publicized, etc.

Maybe this new President and officers will make a better effort, only time will tell.

rwaltermyer

Mar 18, 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #21 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

give mr. karns a second chance chroncile...

chronicle

Mar 18, 2004, 2:24 PM
Post #22 of 22 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm willing to give the entire organization another chance. I will be at GS next weekend for a kickin comp. I hope to hear some new about the future of PAC, it's initiatives, and if anything will be done to expand (nothern PA and Western PA).

Hope to see yall next weekend.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook