RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

gretchino

Jan 19, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #1 of 5 (773 views)
Shortcut

San Diego To Sedona Road Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a road trip to Sedona (and will be staying there for a week) can anyone give me some good suggestions of places to hit on the way there.
Also when I'm there, can anyone recommend any good places to go besides the spires? I'm willing to do a bit of driving...

Thanks for any suggestions! :D

trackhead

Jan 19, 2004, 2:38 PM
Post #2 of 5 (773 views)
Shortcut

Re: San Diego To Sedona Road Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Besides the spires? Your missing out if you don't rally atleast one.

The 'WaterFall' area up Oak Creek Canyon has incredible splitter single pitch routes on basalt. It is primarily south facing and quite warm in the winter. 20 minute or so approach. Mostly 5.10-5.11 cracks.

The 'Overlook' at the top of Oak Creek Canyon has similar climbing. But a bunch of easier routes.

The 'Pit' is 3 miles south of Flagstaff on Lake Mary Road. A days worth of fun in the sun. South facing sport routes on Kaibab Limestone. 5.9-5.12 mostly. A nice two pitch 5.9-10d down there. A handful of nice juggy 5.10's, and a bunch of nice 11's and 12's.

Jacks Canyon is a ways from Sedona (90 miles or more) but has tons of routes 5.9-5.12 on nice limestone pockets. Lot's of warm sunny routes.

gretchino

Jan 19, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #3 of 5 (773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We will definitely be hitting the spires...we just want to know what else is around. :D Thanks for your advice!

climbingcam

Jan 24, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #4 of 5 (773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to do some bouldering check out the Anvil Boulders in uptown sedona right at the mouth of the canyon on the right side (going towards flag) there are some pretty cool problems and up above there is a face with some sport routes, .12 down to .9. It's a pretty chill place, you have to cross the creek and then it's only a 5 min approach- usually nice & sunny on a good day. I used to live in sedona so if you have any questions pm me and I'll help you out best I can. Hope this helps, Cameron

flagstaff_climber

Jan 24, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #5 of 5 (773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need a local guide let me know :) I have done several spires and have climbed just about every other place round Sedona.

Rick

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook