RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

addiroids

Jan 25, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Palm Springs - Bigwall routes up the tram
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am posting this here, because this is the only place I think I would find some people with enough sack (or fimbrae) to attempt this.

I know from talking to Bridwell that he has done some routes up the massive Palm Springs face of the Tram, but he only said, "They are bigwall routes." Like duh dude, that's why I was asking you! But he was guiding that weekend in Josh, and I didn't want to bother him too much. I tried to email him too, but no answer. Of course he doesn't know who the hell I am so is not inclined to tell me anything.

But I keep looking up there and there is a wealth of climbing around with less than a day's approach. I am totally shocked that nothing has either been published, or done up there. I know something has been done on "Kaufmann Crag" but I haven't found any topos of it.

I am not talking about the low stuff either, I am referring to the stuff that you would need to take the tram up to get to. There is a nice buttress shaped like Tahquitz to the left of the summit of the tram (buttress rises up and left) and there is a nice wall to the right of the summit of the tram (shaped like The Fin in Sequoia) that are really close as far as approaches go.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone had done stuff up there, and if not, if someone would like to explore up there this summer. I have my regular partner who wants to go up there, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any interest.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

esoteric1

Jan 25, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Re: Palm Springs - Bigwall routes up the tram [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sure, sounds like a blast! you gota take the tram up every time? at $20 a pop that might get expensive.
mark

rokshoxbkr19

Jan 25, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ISn't it going to be a little to Fuc%ing hot in Palm Springs this summer for that???

addiroids

Jan 25, 2004, 3:15 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, but this stuff is at like 8-9,000 feet. I have worked construction here for 3 summers. I know what hot is. And I was going to try to avoid the really hot months (June - August) for up there. Yeah, it's hot down here.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

roughster

Jan 25, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come'on Paul why not do it true manly man style and solo that crap. I mean thats the pure ultra-trad dude way to do it.... :lol:

Anyways, I was scoping some of that same stuff as well on a bouldering trip up the Tram. It looks pretty good, but would be quite the hassle to get to/deal with IMO. Imagine ferrying loads on the tram? Heheh. Not too mention that I wonder if its even legal?

Anyways, check out the "Second Plateu" at Dry Falls. There is a large wall on the left just passed the Oasis that is begging to have some routes put up on it.

brutusofwyde

Jan 25, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done Cornell Peak, the nice 5.4-ish peak at the edge of the plateau. Several potential lines left of the E. Fork of Snow Creek look huge. I've studied the terrain below the tram, years ago, and although there's miles of steep stuff, I noticed that there is also an unbelievably inordinate amount of loose rock up there on the fault scarp, although not as bad as the NW Face of Galena Peak in Mill Creek Canyon, which Brennan and I climbed during a deep freeze about 20 years ago...

I'd take you up on the offer, but it is looking like my summer is pretty heavily booked.

Be careful up there!

Brutus

mtnmun

Aug 30, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been up the tram quite a bit this summer (bought the pass) Anyone want to have a go at some cool looking granite? Every week I find new walls and great boulders. What a playground for climbers. Last night I stumbled upon a 500+ ft wall on the other side of the water tank. Easy approach and some moderate looking climbing. Of course you never know until you try it. It's about 75 degrees up there all summer long.

mojavedesertrat

Oct 10, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been drooling over the rock on San Jacinto for 2 years now.

Looks loose as hell, but could be fun.

Brutus-- I've noticed that stuff in Snow Creek-- also on the west side of Snow Creek as well there is one buttress that stands out in the morning sun-- must be 500 feet tall.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook