RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mauta

Mar 21, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Basic aid climbing information online?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi climbers,

i have never done any aid climbing, and did not attend any aid climbing course. Indeed, i am not planning to do any aid climbing for the moment (i really enjoy free climbing, and have a LOT to learn in this area...).

But, being curious about all aspects of this sport, i would like to READ about aid climbing basics. Of course, if someday i decide to begin aid climbing, i will seek proper instruction (you definetely cannot learn climbing just reading a book !!!!!)

Is there any website where aid climbing BASIC techniques (that is, at a beginner level) are well explained, including some graphics and pictures?

Thanks,

JUAN

wigglestick

Mar 21, 2002, 7:01 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Basic aid climbing information online? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is alot of information out there about aid climbing. Alot of it can be found on this site in a not so organized fashion. Other sources include
Climbing Magazine Rockcraft
Fish Products How-To Pages
Another good source is a book by John Long called "Big Walls"

mauta

Mar 21, 2002, 7:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, i know there is a lot of excellent information on this site (those posts by PTPP, for instance).
But, usually, it is directed for ADVANCED aid climbers.
I was looking for something more BASIC, like for example, the differents techniques to ascend a fixed rope.

JUAN

beyond_gravity

Mar 21, 2002, 8:11 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

john long book. me like. good read.

passthepitonspete

Mar 21, 2002, 8:18 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, you have come to the right place.

It is my not-so-humble intent to make this website "the best source of aid climbing and big wall tips on the whole damn www!"

We are well on our way - if you check through this, the Aid Climbing Forum, you will find TONS of information for beginners as well as experts.

Let me point you to a few key posts, that as an aspirant aid climber, you should check out.

The best place to start is here where you can read about stuff you need and how to rig it. This will tell you exactly what you need to buy so that you can aid climb the better way.

Ask Dr. Piton ... about Moving Systems

The next place you should go is here to read about the mechanics of aid climbing - how you actually climb on aid.

Ask Dr. Piton ... about how to move up on aid without blowing it

This is work in progress, but if you click here, you can see my Ultimate Big Wall Checklist, which shows you each and every item I take when I solo a wall.

You will someday want to know how to build a 2:1 Hauling Ratchet

It has been my observation that most aid climbers have no clue how to rig an ascending system for jugging a fixed rope. Click here to find out about the better way to ascend a fixed rope

Also, most everyone I have ever seen has no clue how to rappel with a very heavy load. Even mainstream climbing publications don't "get it". You should click here to find out how to rappel with a heavy load.

Note: This post wins the Wee-Wee the Big Wall Crab Endorsement as recommended reading.

That should get you started. I'd be interested in seeing other links that people can find.

If you still can't find what you need, then

Ask Dr. Piton!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook