Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

maculated

Feb 1, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #1 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Your family's reaction to climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I happen to hold my family's opinions with respect, even if I know they do not completely comprehend everything that I do, especially now.

Back when I was into dog showing big time, they never understood why I couldn't just have a nice little pet dog.

Now, they can't understand why it's integral to my life to go out and do some unsafe things (world travel, ice climbing, climbing in general, road trips, etc), and their tension seems to be increasing the more 'daring' I become.

My tactic is to mainly keep quiet about what I do until I've done it . . .

How do you all deal with the worried people who love you?

thurgood

Feb 1, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #2 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Re: Your family's reaction to climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

take them climbing and show them how cautious you are

stevied

Feb 1, 2004, 5:47 AM
Post #3 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the most part they have been supportive. Every once in a while my Mom will hear of something I did/climbed and freak out. I just tell her I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t think it was safe. Take em climbing or teach them to belay, that way they see how careful you are and gain more trust in the gear.

Partner phaedrus

Feb 1, 2004, 5:58 AM
Post #4 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My family's only real knowledge of climbing is what they see in ads like the Visa one on tv. Over the holidays, that came on the tv... my grandmother looked at me and said, "Look at those fools... you don't do anything like that do you?" I looked her in the eye and said, "Nope, never have." Which is true- I haven't done a big wall... yet. :wink: And I don't plan on telling them until after I've done it.

oudinardin

Feb 1, 2004, 6:03 AM
Post #5 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's my Dad's fault. Thought it would be a good idea to teach his eldest son of 10 years the ropes. Curse? I don't know. Klimed uh bunch o stuff adn spint alot oh hiz monei. No, It's not a curse, it's everything, but had I followed his path I would'nt be living on the financial edge, soon to be living out of the back oh my Subie, once again. Ahhh, sounds like heaven.

jumpingrock

Feb 1, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #6 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My mom's opposition to me taking up climbing is one of the big reasons I actually bought the shoes and went climbing for the first time. Guess the rebel inside won. My family is generally concerned but they trust my judgement and know that if I want to do something crazy they can't stop me (heh heh heh running of the bulls here I come). They hope I don't ome home in a casket or worst with perminant brain/spinal cord damage.

climbhp

Feb 1, 2004, 6:31 AM
Post #7 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My family overall is pretty supportive. Some of the time when my mom hears about something I did that wasnt "completely safe" she gets mad at me and tells me that she won't let me climb anymore, but she eventually gets over it. My grandmother on the other hand is always worried every time I tell her I'm going climbing. When she first found out I was going to climb she was very unhappy. All she could say was how much she didn't want me to, but now that she sees that I'm going to do it none the less, she just wishes me luck and always reminds me to be safe.

ROCK ON

Partner coldclimb

Feb 1, 2004, 6:31 AM
Post #8 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tell my parents anything and everything about things I do, and generally they just accept whatever I am and keep on living. They don't dislike me climbing any more than anything else I do. My Grandparents disaprove, though. ;)

As for me, personally I've always been quite uncaring about just about everything. If others don't like what I do, it generally doesn't matter to me. I've noticed that a lot of the rest of the world doesn't see it this way though. ;)

mortal_wombat

Feb 1, 2004, 6:35 AM
Post #9 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been out on real rock yet, but I'm sure my 'rents will be cool with it. My sister and grandparents on the other hand...well, they don't have to know until after I make it to the top. ;)

Partner bouldertom

Feb 1, 2004, 6:38 AM
Post #10 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My family gets worried if I tell them or show them pictures. I figure it's easier for both of us if I just don't tell them everything I do. This could apply for many activities other than climbing actually...

girlclimb

Feb 1, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #11 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My mom was the one who first bought me the pass to go climbing at 15 for one month at the gym i used the pass so much i have had one ever since. I think my mom worries but she has always supported me however when going out side she always had to do background checks on my partners lol make sure they took the proper courses, had been climbing for like ever, ect ect ect... My grandmother thinks it is awesome!!!!! she is so cute sometimes she goes to the wall with me and starts hitting on all the climbers telling them if she was their age... haha now that i'm in college my mom can't do the background checks and i am finding more opportunities to go outside, she gets wicked nervous but she for the most part is still encouraging.

karmaklimber

Feb 1, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #12 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To have fun, but be safe.

kunzie

Feb 1, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #13 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How I best sedated my parents towards my climbing adventures was to prove to them, from early on, that I live a charmed life, and will only die doing something special. Hubris in this form just kinda made them give up, and after taking my mum climbing a few times, she enjoyed it and gave me her blessings. Dad, on the other hand, tried top-roping and never trusted the rope or his feet, so he just said go and be done with you.
Always fun :D
Later on though, I'll take them on a camping trip to Arapiles, so they can completely experience the culture. And completely accept who I am. They just think I'm unorthodox at the moment

deleted
Deleted

Feb 1, 2004, 8:51 AM
Post #14 of 67 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:602e1ecbe3="maculated"]
Back when I was into dog showing big time, they never understood why I couldn't just have a nice little pet dog.
[/quote:602e1ecbe3]

Are you f===in' serious. I can't belive anyone put this in a post, let alone admitted to being "into dog showing" Oh my god, this is hysterical. Haven't you seen best in show? oh my god, you can't be serious. this is too funny. what a toolbox. i can't believe how much you suck! wow!

kunzie

Feb 1, 2004, 9:14 AM
Post #15 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Are you f===in' serious. I can't belive anyone put this in a post, let alone admitted to being "into dog showing" Oh my god, this is hysterical. Haven't you seen best in show? oh my god, you can't be serious. this is too funny. what a toolbox. i can't believe how much you suck! wow!

Yes, because we all lie about what we do in an attempt to impress those on the internet. Isn't it rather hypocritical of you abusing the act of dog-showing, when thats essentially what your mother did anytime she took you to the park as a child?
No, don't turn this into a flame-fest, I'm just having fun here dude, but just kinda reflect on your method and what it reflects on you, y'dig?

reno

Feb 1, 2004, 10:46 AM
Post #16 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the exception of my mother, who is very cool about such things after learning the strength of my gear, most of them have a great deal of trepidation.

The Monday before the Ouray festival, I was at my uncle's funeral. We were all sitting around chatting, and I was asked what my week had in store:

"Going ice climbing."
"You're gonna do what?"
"Well, when a waterfall gets cold enough and stays cold for long enough, it freezes. Then we go climb up it."
"Are you out of your damn mind?!?!?!"
"Yep."

Then I had to explain all the gear, and they still had an incredulous look.

fontyyy

Feb 1, 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #17 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My mum is totally cool with it, in her own words "I'd rather you die doing something you love than die having not done it", my dad just says take care and thats about it really. My sister does climb, solo sometimes and has fell badly in the past so she knows you can't guarantee anything.
IMHO if someone made a real fuss (no one ever has) they're not really concered about my well being, they haven't listened to what I said and they don't really know or care about ME at all, if they did they'd want me to enjoy my life while I am here, not just prolong it to avoid THEIR pain. Therefore they are putting their own feelings ahead of any concern for my quality of life and hence are selfish fools and I wouldn't waste my time being concered about their opinions as they are not bothered about mine.

I do of course realize this is the old;
she says "if you loved me you wouldn't do it"
he says "if you loved me you wouldn't ask me not to"
arguement that goes around for ever but as I see it we will all die anyway, the aim is not to live as long as possible but to live as much as possible.

lollipopchic

Feb 1, 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #18 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
take them climbing and show them how cautious you are

This is good advice! I've taken my dad with me climbing outdoors and taught him how to belay and showed him how safe it can be. My parents are pretty good, letting me (17) and my brother (15) go climbing outdoors by ourselves. They even let us fly to Melbourne from Perth and then take the train down to Arapiles and climb there for a few days by ourselves. My dad sometimes gets a little worried, but generally he is okay with us climbing.

dc

Feb 1, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #19 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my parents are fine with me climbing.. in fact they probably get a little tired of me talking bout climbing too much of the time.. but they're interested in seeing the pics from a day at the crag...

deleted
Deleted

Feb 1, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #20 of 67 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:a4cc7bfbd6="kunzie"][quote:a4cc7bfbd6="mandrew"][quote:a4cc7bfbd6="maculated"]
[/quote:a4cc7bfbd6]

Are you f===in' serious. I can't belive anyone put this in a post, let alone admitted to being "into dog showing" Oh my god, this is hysterical. Haven't you seen best in show? oh my god, you can't be serious. this is too funny. what a toolbox. i can't believe how much you suck! wow![/quote:a4cc7bfbd6]

Yes, because we all lie about what we do in an attempt to impress those on the internet. Isn't it rather hypocritical of you abusing the act of dog-showing, when thats essentially what your mother did anytime she took you to the park as a child?
No, don't turn this into a flame-fest, I'm just having fun here dude, but just kinda reflect on your method and what it reflects on you, y'dig?[/quote:a4cc7bfbd6]

dog-showing! oh my god!

canrocker

Feb 1, 2004, 2:53 PM
Post #21 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents aren't too excited about me climbing, but they know that I'm gonna do whatever I want no matter how much they object. So they figured I should at least be properly trained in safe technique, and put up some cash for lessons. Can't complain about $free$ climbing, eh?

PS: I don't understand how someone can subject an animal to that show BS, but hey, whatever bakes your cake, right? A few friends and myself formed a fight club (just like the movie, but without the whole Project Mayhem deal), so who am I to judge? :)

wildduck

Feb 1, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #22 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I went to my first outdoor climb.........

My dad's ok with the gym.... But when he heard 30 meters or 100 feet climb, he banned me and told me not to go outdoors anymore... but he doesn't have to know.. perhaps one day i'll drag him along and let him see how is it like.... and how cautious we are with safety in lead and climbing itself. Be it 30m up the rock or ground zero. Safety comes first.

charley

Feb 1, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #23 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulder with.

maculated

Feb 1, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #24 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hijacking my own thread . . . yup. Dog showing. I don't have any photos from when I was 14, but here's the ankle biter with one of the top handlers in the country:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=25160

Quit being a tool

Partner calamity_chk

Feb 1, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #25 of 67 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at first, they thought it was cute .. until i got busted for climbing my mom's rock fireplace. though, they're pretty used to the fact that i "walk to the beat of my own drum."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook