Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dontfall

Feb 2, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #1 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Unlocking areas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a area that I would like to post up some beta about but the area is locked. The user is never on rc.com anymore and I think it would be fair for the climbing public to get access to. Is there someway a Admin can unlock an area?

overlord

Feb 2, 2004, 3:24 PM
Post #2 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Re: Unlocking areas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i believe the admins can do that. maybe even your area manager...

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 2, 2004, 3:24 PM
Post #3 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We should be able to unlock it for you, and so could the AM.

But just so you know... You still shoould be able to add anything to a locked Area, just not edit any existing info.

dontfall

Feb 2, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #4 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We should be able to unlock it for you, and so could the AM.
the area manager himself locked this area off

In reply to:
But just so you know... You still shoould be able to add anything to a locked Area, just not edit any existing info.

I checked it out and saw that there is nothing that will allow me to edit.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 2, 2004, 3:39 PM
Post #5 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brutha you just quoted me...

Like I said, "you should be able to add to a locked Area, but not edit any existing info."

BTW... I myself do not believe in locking Areas, as unless all the beta is perfect and impecable, then it shouold remain unlocked for it to be made better.

Example... Routes can even be ordered from left to right, instead of the default alphqabetical. Locking an Area does not allow another willing to go this extra mile to do so.

dontfall

Feb 2, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i wasn't reading everything....sry

I hate locking areas as well. I think the climbing community always has new beta that they could put up into the crag allowing it to be __that much better.

Partner calamity_chk

Feb 2, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #7 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what's the area in question?

andy_lemon

Feb 2, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #8 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a million people on this site that can unlock a locked area... admitin, senior routes DB managers, area managers, the person who locked the area, and "gold" members. Feel free to pm these people to unlock an area for editing... that is why they have the power to do so.

Also, contact the person who locked the area first. If it is locked it could be for a good reason. Obviously, if the person is no longer on the site (like you have already said) the area should be unlocked so that users can edit info.

I do believe in locking areas... However, I am on this site daily and will unlock an area with a simple PM. In almost 3 years of locking areas I have only recieved 2 pm's to edit information.

kagunkie

Feb 3, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #9 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just because I dont add to every drivel filled topic on the site doesnt mean that im not on the site anymore. Id also like to ad that I dont appreciate people going behind my back to sabotage my efforts to keep an area location secret. I am the one who added the area in the first place, it wouldnt even exist as far as this site is concerned without my efforts along with many other areas Iv added that are not locked. The patriot boulders are locked for a good reason and if someone thinks that we need to draw more traffic to the area then convince me and the rest of the community that it needs to be given to the general public. I am the state manager for pennsylvania and along with that title goes a responsability to manage, it would be appreciated that if someone has a suggestion or question they message me before they try to go over my head. If this continues I may be forced to act in accordance to protect my interests and the interests of the climbing community in general.

scubasnyder

Feb 3, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #10 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

talk to your moderator

andy_lemon

Feb 3, 2004, 3:57 AM
Post #11 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, contact the person who locked the area first. If it is locked it could be for a good reason.

Kagunkie, I would hope that everyone would have the decency to do what I asked... not because I said so but because it is the right thing to do (IMO).

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 3, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #12 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Secret Areas" are fine, but not on this site, as "secret" is very different than "sensitive access"...

Listing an Area with sensitive access issues is a good way to get others involved in area access committees, if you only add contact information in the description.

For example...

"Access to this area is very sensitive, and should not be climbed at without first contacting _______________.", or "Climbing at this area is closed. Please contact _________________ (the local climbing coalition) of the Access Fund to get involved and make your voice heard. Do not just climb here, as you will add negatively to the current Access Issues."

See my point ??? Instead of keeping an area secret for your own benifit, get others involved to open it up.

roughster

Feb 3, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #13 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just because I dont add to every drivel filled topic on the site doesnt mean that im not on the site anymore. Id also like to ad that I dont appreciate people going behind my back to sabotage my efforts to keep an area location secret. I am the one who added the area in the first place, it wouldnt even exist as far as this site is concerned without my efforts along with many other areas Iv added that are not locked. The patriot boulders are locked for a good reason and if someone thinks that we need to draw more traffic to the area then convince me and the rest of the community that it needs to be given to the general public. I am the state manager for pennsylvania and along with that title goes a responsability to manage, it would be appreciated that if someone has a suggestion or question they message me before they try to go over my head. If this continues I may be forced to act in accordance to protect my interests and the interests of the climbing community in general.

I think you are confusing "Manage" with "Control". One of the great things about the site is the ability for people to add THEIR feedback. It is not up to you to decide for everyone what info should be "allowed" to be uploaded.

dontfall

Feb 3, 2004, 1:54 PM
Post #14 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not intend to start a war with you kagunkie. Yes I wanted Patriot to be unlocked. You know it was me and I want the public to know. I did not intend to start a war with you. If you have an area locked, what good will it do the climbers of PA? I do not intend to do harm to your crag. If you want it to be so secret, then why the hell did you ever post it up here on this site? Of course you took off what beta I put on. Do as you wish and go play with your crag. People know about it as I do myself.

Partner j_ung

Feb 3, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #15 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patriot Boulders, eh? Sounds like a good place to bring camp groups. I think I'll grab a case of beer, chisel and a can of spray paint and head up there.

dontfall

Feb 3, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #16 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Patriot Boulders, eh? Sounds like a good place to bring camp groups. I think I'll grab a case of beer, chisel and a can of spray paint and head up there.

hahaha...not a good idea my friend.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 3, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #17 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Area in question has a description as follows:
In reply to:
These recently discovered boulders lie on county parkland and are within a hundred feet of the road amazingly enough since they have gone undiscovered to climbers so far. The climbing is of a quality that would rival any found in the country and may be the best in the state.

So why would this be locked ??? Why not add directions and add more information ??? It does not even appear to have any access issues as per the description, but rather some mearly want to keep it as a secret area. If it in on "county parkland" then it should be open to all, not just a few locals.

And worse... I understand that the additional info was actually deleted to keep it "secret". This is bad form and selfcentered IMHO. :(

Why not just change the area description to:
*said like a 2 year old* "MINE !!!" :roll:

Partner calamity_chk

Feb 3, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #18 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if the area's supposed to be secret, then what's it doing on rc.com?

dontfall

Feb 3, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #19 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Area in question has a description as follows:
In reply to:
These recently discovered boulders lie on county parkland and are within a hundred feet of the road amazingly enough since they have gone undiscovered to climbers so far. The climbing is of a quality that would rival any found in the country and may be the best in the state.

So why would this be locked ??? Why not add directions and add more information ??? It does not even appear to have any access issues as per the description, but rather some mearly want to keep it as a secret area. If it in on "county parkland" then it should be open to all, not just a few locals.

And worse... I understand that the additional info was actually deleted to keep it "secret". This is bad form and selfcentered IMHO. :(

Why not just change the area description to:
*said like a 2 year old* "MINE !!!" :roll:

Yes, I added a little info. I added the name of the street it was on and kept it open for all. Of course it was deleted as Adam mentioned and once again locked. IDK. Let the jerk lock it up and have at it. I am only trying to get PA a better climbing state. I'm trying to put my heart and soul into climbing as I love climbing. None of this was ever intended but obviously good has come out of this. Let ___have his damn rock. I will climb it all I want and have at it. I will simply give directions to anyone who wishes to get there. Some of you may bash me but I bash the person who locked this up again.

Good day

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 3, 2004, 4:14 PM
Post #20 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very interesting.

not to get on anyones bad side here but...

i actualy had a similar issue...i belive it was about a year ago i attempted to make a change to an area that was locked

so i took the appropriate action (or so i thought) and PMed my state manager...

they kindly responded about 2 weeks later and said that if i sent them the info they would update it. so i proceeded to type out the new info with the new website (gym) and sent the PM off.

as i recall it sat in my outbox for a few more weeks when i stopped paying attention to it...it still has not been updated and i have received no reply to the PM to this very day.

i understand that state managers get alot of PMs and are busy people and i also understand that if i was overly serious about this and if it was that big of a deal i would have done something about it sooner.

but i do think its silly to lock the info - if you havent had more then 3 PMs to unlock it then wheres the risk of leaving it open???

i dunno whatever...just my 2 cents

rock on!! :mrgreen:

dontfall

Feb 3, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #21 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edited:

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 3, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #22 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW: this person who is giving me all of this s---....AM for PA. He is the one who locked this crag. Great person supporting PA.

Easy there brutha... Let's not make this personal, but keep to the topic at hand, being whether Areas should be locked just to keep them secret. If we keep this civil, then we should be able to discuss this reasonably, and maybe even come to an agreement on both sides. :wink:

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 3, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #23 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another note... If you have not gotten a reply from a state manager regarding a question or issue you have, then you should contact Doug (polarwid), as he is the Admin in charge of the entire Routes DBase, and it's Staff.

Many states may have MGRs that are no longer regular users, so they may need to be actively replaced.

The purpose of the RDB is to provide as much information about any and all climbing areas worldwide... It will only succeed if all of us add, update, and organize the info as required.

jds100

Feb 3, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #24 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Amber. If the area is supposed to be secret, then it should not have been put into the RDB in the first place. If someone else had entered it, and the Area Manager was concerned about access issues, then he could kindly copy all the info to a word processor file (to keep it available for the person who had entered the info), then delete it, and contact the person who posted it to inform of the access issue. If, however, this is more an issue of "this is my secret area" on public land, then... -that ship has already sailed; obviously other people know of it, and the best thing to do would be to manage the information for accuracy, including a thorough discourse -publicly- on any access concerns.

Managing the RDB with such a heavy hand may keep the info off this site temporarily, but it could easily also inflame the "other side" to react more hastily and angrily, and ultimately have the opposite effect from that you desire.

andy_lemon

Feb 3, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #25 of 38 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is going to be an area listed on rc.com, no matter if it is a "Secret Area" or has "Access Issues", and it is to be locked, then there should be a reason posted in the area discription as to why it is locked. Especially if it is an access concern, list it, inform and educate the climbing community about the issues in your area. Directions are a seperate issue... no one is forced to give out directions to an area, but rather than leave the directions as "none", fill in the reason why the directions are not going to be given out... or else someone might come along and fill them in for you.

Andy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook