RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

acronis

Feb 3, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #1 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Calluses...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are they a good thing or a bad thing? I've always thought they were good, but I just build a backer, and having doing about ten runs up and down it, they hurt extremely bad and continue into the next day. Is there something I can do for them? Someone told me to just chop em off, but I dont think that is what to do...?

revdeuno

Feb 3, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #2 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Re: Calluses... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

calluses arent what is causing you pain. calluses are nothing more than piled up skin that help to protect your hands from abrasion. never cut them off, this will set you back several weeks of skin. if they start ripping off on their own use a nail file and file it smooth t prevent a larger piece of skin from ripping off, and tape your hands if the pain is too much for you...

bergo

Feb 3, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not chop them off! Calluses are your friends but you must take care of them or you're gonna get some dreaded flappers. It's important to have a smooth skin, it's less prone to snagging and tearing, so I use a diamond-chip file to sand my calluses. Keep your hands dry while climbing.

biff

Feb 3, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #4 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I regularly grind my calusos off with a metal foot file (like a rasp thing). It works better than the stone or sandpaper thing.

Gymnists cut their caluses off with a straight razor, I have never had to resort to such extremes.

When caluses get too big they will rip off, taking mass chunks of heathy skin with them. Gymnists call them "Rips" Climbers call them Flappers. There are other things that cause flappers, like sharp rock.

When your caluses start to hurt, make them smaller, and the pain will not be as bad the next time you climb.

Tough skin / small calouses = good
Big Caluses = bad.

climbhigh2005

Feb 3, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #5 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calluses are good... they only hurt until you build up good enough ones... mine are start to peel bc I havent cclimbed outdoor in over a week.. aaaahhhhh

scubasnyder

Feb 3, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #6 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with biff, if they get dry and hurt put lotion on them after you file them, it makes them feel a bit better, i use st. ives hand lotion.

flyinghatchet

Feb 4, 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #7 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I havent cclimbed outdoor in over a week.. aaaahhhhh

try three months.

acronis

Feb 5, 2004, 2:52 AM
Post #8 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I have had calluses in my hands for a while now, becuase I do martial arts, and when we do stick training, ,holding onto that stick forever builds them. And then add climbing and playing guitar, and I just have calluses all over....
By the way, the calluses I'm referring to in this topic are the ones on your hand where the fingers and the top of the hand meet...
Anyway, after my second training day with my backer, I have noticed that the ones on my middle finger knuckle have turned a nasty brown color underneath all the skin. Has anyone else experienced this? Because they hurt like hell, and I dont know what to do. I cant barely stand one set of campusing...

overlord

Feb 5, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #9 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if thyre too big, just file some off, dont cut them. and, yes theyre a good thing (unless too big offcourse).

climbhigh2005

Feb 6, 2004, 1:01 AM
Post #10 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I havent cclimbed outdoor in over a week.. aaaahhhhh

try three months.

I would die! :o

p0bray01

Jul 28, 2005, 9:33 PM
Post #11 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the brown and bruised look on your knuckles could be just an overuse symptom. I was a cheer leader (yes male) in college and all my knuckles turned brown from being stepped on etc. They went back to normal about a year after I quit Although if I do a lot of overhanging routes in succession mine start to turn that color a bit...and then in a day or two go away.

mcgivney_nh

Jul 29, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #12 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

calluses= good
flappers= bad

Try to file them down when they get to big, and never just cut them off.

microbarn

Jul 29, 2005, 6:00 PM
Post #13 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyway, after my second training day with my backer, I have noticed that the ones on my middle finger knuckle have turned a nasty brown color underneath all the skin. Has anyone else experienced this? Because they hurt like hell, and I dont know what to do. I cant barely stand one set of campusing...

I think this might be blood blisters. You did too much too fast if you got them. You should just stop climbing before this happens. Give your hands a bit of time to heal before they get this bad. Time heals blood blisters. They will look ugly long after you can use your hands too.

Good news is that as you get better, the calluses move farther out towards the tips of your fingers. Soon you won't be using that part of your hand to climb because you are doing crimpers on your finger nails. :)

fender13

Aug 5, 2005, 2:02 AM
Post #14 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About one year before I started climbing I picked up the acoustic and electric guitar so my fingers were fine and I only had to toughen up my upper palm were the fingers begin.

Also I'm only 12 and I was wondering if building up calluses will affect my skin growth or anything along those lines.

rastafari

Aug 16, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #15 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll be fine, just keep on climbing!

flipnfall

Aug 16, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #16 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Callouses will enable you to stay on the rock longer, handle sharper edges, tolerate pain in finger cracks and use crimper holds. Sometimes they split and take longer to heal, but that's when you SuperGlue them together (no joke). No fear. It will get better from here.

GT

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook